Tom Short

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2014, 12:48 PM
RE: Tom Short
(16-12-2014 12:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'll let you have the last word here. But first, I'll say I'm disappointed you need a reference since in the three synoptics that say "some of you will..." the next IMMEDIATE passage is the transfiguration passage. The gospels are not written as linear histories the way we moderns expect to read chronological histories but clearly the three gospels each present the transfiguration to be shown as the fulfillment of the story. Go to any of the three then read the next verses--the issue is sometimes, that the next verses start a new chapter--but chapters as we know didn't come with the original texts...

Disappointed...
Drinking Beverage

The citation I'm looking for is not the verses from the three synoptic gospels. Yes, I can find those. But you are claiming that the transfiguration and the accompanying hoopla mentioned in the next verses (for example, in Matthew it's verses 17:1-2) is what Jesus meant in Matthew 16:28 by "coming in his kingdom". The citation I'm looking for is one that shows this to be a correct interpretation - or at least shows some strong evidence supporting this as a correct interpretation. Because it looks suspiciously to me like you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2014, 12:55 PM
(16-12-2014 12:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 02:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I didn't expect you to admit it.

Citation needed.

The fifth was mine which I didn't understand to be in agreement with any of yours, but if it was, maybe that's why we're disagreeing on the count. The one, however, that "feeds the contradiction" is also the only one that really fits - except for the part that it never came true.

I'm not disputing "in" at all. It doesn't matter which way you interpret that word, it hasn't happened. It's the word, "coming" that is the key.

No big surprise there.

I'll let you have the last word here. But first, I'll say I'm disappointed you need a reference since in the three synoptics that say "some of you will..." the next IMMEDIATE passage is the transfiguration passage. The gospels are not written as linear histories the way we moderns expect to read chronological histories but clearly the three gospels each present the transfiguration to be shown as the fulfillment of the story. Go to any of the three then read the next verses--the issue is sometimes, that the next verses start a new chapter--but chapters as we know didn't come with the original texts...

Many of the ancient Near Eastern myths had transfiguration stories. It was a common mythological theme. It never happened, ("historically"). We know Moses was a myth. A myth within a myth.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-12-2014, 02:07 PM
(16-12-2014 12:48 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 12:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'll let you have the last word here. But first, I'll say I'm disappointed you need a reference since in the three synoptics that say "some of you will..." the next IMMEDIATE passage is the transfiguration passage. The gospels are not written as linear histories the way we moderns expect to read chronological histories but clearly the three gospels each present the transfiguration to be shown as the fulfillment of the story. Go to any of the three then read the next verses--the issue is sometimes, that the next verses start a new chapter--but chapters as we know didn't come with the original texts...

Disappointed...
Drinking Beverage

The citation I'm looking for is not the verses from the three synoptic gospels. Yes, I can find those. But you are claiming that the transfiguration and the accompanying hoopla mentioned in the next verses (for example, in Matthew it's verses 17:1-2) is what Jesus meant in Matthew 16:28 by "coming in his kingdom". The citation I'm looking for is one that shows this to be a correct interpretation - or at least shows some strong evidence supporting this as a correct interpretation. Because it looks suspiciously to me like you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I said you have the last word and I meant it. If you want me to reply, I will.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2014, 02:11 PM
(16-12-2014 02:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I said you have the last word and I meant it. If you want me to reply, I will.

I don't care about having the last word. Do you have a citation?

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-12-2014, 03:36 PM
By citation do you mean a scholar who agrees with my interpretation? There won't be a translation that also is an interpretation.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2014, 04:45 PM
I mean a source that provides evidence supporting your view. Keep in mind, opinion is not evidence.

16-12-2014, 04:46 PM
tl;dr version of what he believes/preaches?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-12-2014, 10:41 PM
(16-12-2014 04:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  tl;dr version of what he believes/preaches?

No one knows. It's TL;DR

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-12-2014, 10:46 PM
(16-12-2014 04:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  tl;dr version of what he believes/preaches?

Near as I can tell, he's a perpetual No True Scotsman, as whenever we get critical of something and he get cornered he goes all "that's not MY Christianity, they're not TRUE Christians!"

Rinse and repeat.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Tom Short or Q?