Tom Short

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2014, 02:24 PM
RE: Tom Short
(24-11-2014 02:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Who would think the FSM is real? Rhetorical question, but I can't help but wonder what kind of person would ever think that.

Probably these sorts of people.

Be afraid.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
24-11-2014, 06:51 PM
(24-11-2014 02:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 02:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Who would think the FSM is real? Rhetorical question, but I can't help but wonder what kind of person would ever think that.

Probably these sorts of people.

Be afraid.

The story about the overpass from Mexico to Canada was a hoot, and that people believed this? 'Muricans Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
24-11-2014, 06:55 PM
(24-11-2014 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The story about the overpass from Mexico to Canada was a hoot, and that people believed this? 'Muricans Thumbsup

Hell, they bought the train from California to Hawaii

Education in this country really sucks

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
24-11-2014, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2014 08:12 PM by Full Circle.)
(24-11-2014 06:55 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The story about the overpass from Mexico to Canada was a hoot, and that people believed this? 'Muricans Thumbsup

Hell, they bought the train from California to Hawaii

Education in this country really sucks

The US has outstanding universities and colleges but IMO the public school system needs a major overhaul and I say this as a product of that system.

Meanwhile we're just trying to keep the good science that is already there from being gutted by creationists.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-11-2014, 09:29 AM
All,

I will restate my argument then build upon it.

If a holocaust wipes out civilization, and space aliens land on the planet and review Internet files, they will find thousands of posts about the FSM. If the aliens lack the ability to create and perceive sarcasm, their alien Wikipedia will have this entry:

"Atheists - a cult of Earth's past civilization that worshipped a Flying Spaghetti Monster."

If the aliens have believed an ontological argument for God's existence, this will be more ammo in their portfolio of arguments!

So let me put this another way. It is not self-evident that the FSM doesn't exist. It requires an understanding of the literature and sarcasm, or as Chas put it, any intelligent person [who also understands sarcasm] should get it.

Can anyone here PROVE the FSM does NOT exist? Note that saying "He doesn't, Q, you moron!" and "Any intelligent person can figure it out, maybe even you, Q!" is not checkmating me nor would it "win" any judged debate in any college in the world...

My question to you calls to question the nature of how we know what we know. For example, if I dared to say "It is self-evident that God exists" you would say PROVE IT WITH EVIDENCE rather than "awareness". So I ask you to PROVE that the FSM, which is often claimed to be a creation of Pastafarian poe Bobby Henderson, doesn't exist.

You cannot say "Can't prove a negative" because in this case, you should be able to do so!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2014, 09:38 AM
I don't think you're giving aliens enough credit. Drinking Beverage

Oh and "can't prove a negative" and also don't need to.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
25-11-2014, 02:42 PM
(25-11-2014 09:29 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

If a holocaust wipes out civilization, and space aliens land on the planet and review Internet files, they will find thousands of posts about the FSM. If the aliens lack the ability to create and perceive sarcasm, their alien Wikipedia will have this entry:

"Atheists - a cult of Earth's past civilization that worshipped a Flying Spaghetti Monster."

If the aliens have believed an ontological argument for God's existence, this will be more ammo in their portfolio of arguments!

So let me put this another way. It is not self-evident that the FSM doesn't exist. It requires an understanding of the literature and sarcasm, or as Chas put it, any intelligent person [who also understands sarcasm] should get it.

Can anyone here PROVE the FSM does NOT exist? Note that saying "He doesn't, Q, you moron!" and "Any intelligent person can figure it out, maybe even you, Q!" is not checkmating me nor would it "win" any judged debate in any college in the world...

My question to you calls to question the nature of how we know what we know. For example, if I dared to say "It is self-evident that God exists" you would say PROVE IT WITH EVIDENCE rather than "awareness". So I ask you to PROVE that the FSM, which is often claimed to be a creation of Pastafarian poe Bobby Henderson, doesn't exist.

You cannot say "Can't prove a negative" because in this case, you should be able to do so!

We do, in fact, know that it was invented by Bobby Henderson. So, yes, we know that the FSM is made up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-11-2014, 02:48 PM
(25-11-2014 09:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I don't think you're giving aliens enough credit. Drinking Beverage

Sometimes, you can prove a negative. Do you have an elephant in your pajamas? Go look in your pajamas.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
25-11-2014, 02:51 PM
(25-11-2014 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 09:29 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

We do, in fact, know that it was invented by Bobby Henderson. So, yes, we know that the FSM is made up.

Do you know Mr. Henderson personally? I know God. Again, I'm merely calling to question the nature of what we know and how we learn it. For another example, I've said to myself, "What's going on with this FSM? After all, thousands of people seem to be buzzing about it..." and then I hear it's a Poe.

In your case, it should be "What's going on with the Bible? After all, several periods of contributors wrote the thing over centuries and it is 2,000 pages in English. It can't all be a hoax. It can't all be delusion. Why, look at those carvings from centuries before Christ of the Assyrians raiding the Temple and Ark? It can't be that just before Jesus, people then created a priestly system, rules and a Temple."

25-11-2014, 02:56 PM
(25-11-2014 02:48 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 09:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I don't think you're giving aliens enough credit. Drinking Beverage

Sometimes, you can prove a negative. Do you have an elephant in your pajamas? Go look in your pajamas.

Go look at Ron Jeremy's work. Drinking Beverage

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman