Tomato plant questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 03:16 PM
RE: Tomato plant questions
Tomatoes also have some of the deepest roots of garden veggies. They need 24" or more, ideally. Next year, look for a patio/dwarf variety. Much better for containers.

I like Espoma Tomato tone for feedings.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2017, 03:18 PM
http://reclaimgrowsustain.com/content/ho...es-it-root

04-06-2017, 03:18 PM
(04-06-2017 03:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 03:08 PM)Mrhall1923 Wrote:  Oh and my balcony does face south

You can grow pretty much anything then. Year round if you're in Zone 9+.

I'm going to have to Google what zone 9+ is. lol
04-06-2017, 03:19 PM
where do you live?

04-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Looks like I'm zone 8.

Dallas, Tx
04-06-2017, 03:35 PM
lucky duck! I bet you can grow most of the year Smile

04-06-2017, 04:40 PM
(04-06-2017 02:28 PM)Mrhall1923 Wrote:  I just picked the first tomato today.

Bastard.

I got my transplants yesterday and put eight in the ground before my wife warned me that we're getting frost tomorrow night. Weeping I am not in zone 9.

To keep your tomato happy it will want:
- light
- warmth
- moisture
- food
- support

Sounds like you have light and warmth covered. Tomatoes are tropical and crave both.

Moisture can be tricky. Water lightly so that your plant doesn't wilt but don't overwater or the tomatoes will taste like flavourless hydroponic trash. This is going to depend on your climate and what it's potted in.

Tomatoes are heavy feeders. They need lots of fertilizer. Normally I'd suggest planting in a deep pot full of sheep manures but yours sounds too large to repot. Get some MiracleGrow or similar foliar fertilizer and feed it generously.

Your plant will likely need support. Tomatoes are vines and need to be caged or staked when growing upright. Determinate tomatoes grow to a certain size, produce all their fruit at once and are more or less useless after that. Indeterminates grow and continue to produce fruit for their entire mature life. A large indeterminate can grow to well over 6 feet tall under good conditions. If your tomato plant isn't already caged then it will likely need to be staked. You can also get dwarf varieties but where's the fun in that?

For a vigorous plant, pinch off the first few blossoms. You won't get tomatoes as early but the plant will have more resources to grow larger and stronger.

One of the most important variables is your tomato's cultivar (cultivated variety). If you grow the same cultivars that are sold in most grocery stores then you will get the same disappointing tomatoes. I prefer the heirloom cultivars but there are some excellent modern hybrids too. Make sure you check this next time because there are few things as disappointing as growing your own tomatoes only to discover that they taste just like something off a store shelf.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
04-06-2017, 04:47 PM
(04-06-2017 03:19 PM)Mrhall1923 Wrote:  Looks like I'm zone 8.

Dallas, Tx

Looks like all is good for your tomatoes. Long as the leaves are a nice dark green, you're doing good. Indeterminate tomatoes can grow and grow and grow and grow - and become impossible to move.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Great info.

How big is too big to transplant to a bigger pot?

The current pot is 18" deep, 16" across the top, 10" across the bottom, soil is an inch from the top and the plant is 18" tall. It's been in this pot for barely 2 months. Is it possible to transplant to a bigger pot?
04-06-2017, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 06:00 PM by Dom.)
Probably.

Planting larger tomato plants:

Strip all the lower leaves - almost as far up as your new pot is wide.

Lay the tomato in a "ditch" sideways and cover. It will right itself in a day or two. If it's too tall to right itself, let it lean on something to help.

It will grow new roots everywhere where there used to be a leaf notch. This will make for an extremely vigorous plant.

I plant any leggy tomatoes that way. It works for tomatoes ONLY! Not other veggies.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post