Tomato plant questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 06:11 PM by Deesse23.)
RE: Tomato plant questions
I am growing tomatos on my balcony since 2 years. Last year, everybody was "WTF"ing when i showed them how the tomatos grew and how much i harvested. Looks i have a "green thumb". My balcony is south side.

It is IMPERATIVE to cut the "suckers" away, since they suck up valuable resources of the plan to make fruits. Its IM-PER-A-TIVE.
No need to cut them away immediately. No hurries, no panic, but as soon as you see them, cut them off.

Tomatos love sun, the more the better. There is no such thing as "too much sun" for tomatos.

Tomatos are very "soft", so they need support when growing (particularly at later stages when they become very tall and fruits are hanging eveywhere). Make sure you have some kind of "frame" they can grow along and that stabilizes them. Basically they would collapse under their own weight. I guess another example of human directed evolution and creation of species that basically arent fit to survive in nature.

When they have much sun, they also suck up a lot of water. Like many other plants a lack of water results in leafs hanging down, looking exhausted, and leafs becoming brown.

I have heared, tomatos are susceptible to being drenched by too much water by heavy rain for example. They are told to rot away if covered too long with too much water. Mine are directly under a small roof, so they are proteced from rotting away being swamped. They seem to be rather forgiving to watering them too much, yet try to avoid "standing water" in the pots.

Tomatos are extremely susceptible to frost. They survive +1C, and immediately die when they see -1C. Pay attention and look at weather forecast. Be prepared to take them inside if you are facing even the smallest period of frost.

I am using ca. 35cm (14") pots for each plant. Last year i have used much smaller pots, balcony boxes, which are rather shallow. When i cleaned up in winter, the boxes were quite full with roots, but not overly. I was rather surprised that such big plants (at the end they were taller than me) could live on such comparably small boxes. We will see this year when i have those big pots, what the impact will be.

P.S.: My raspberry is going mad. Raspberries everywhere. This shit grows like....Shit Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2017, 06:29 PM
That's awesome. I love raspberries.
04-06-2017, 08:01 PM
(04-06-2017 05:05 PM)Mrhall1923 Wrote:  Great info.

How big is too big to transplant to a bigger pot?

The current pot is 18" deep, 16" across the top, 10" across the bottom, soil is an inch from the top and the plant is 18" tall. It's been in this pot for barely 2 months. Is it possible to transplant to a bigger pot?

18" tall should be transplantable but an 18" deep pot should be sufficient anyway.

If you still can you should try and get it in a tomato cage. The branches may already be too large for this and certainly will be soon.

More usefully, you could start another tomato. Given your long growing season you should be able to start one from seed now and have tomatoes by late August. Seeds are available from a variety of sources online.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
04-06-2017, 08:13 PM
I can get it in a cage, it's supported already but it's almost time to go bigger. Especially with the tomatoes coming in.
05-06-2017, 01:31 AM
Tomatos, please note how the suckers in the "armpits" are all cut off
[Image: 05062017642.jpg~original]

Raspberry (a special, small breed, suited for balcony)
[Image: 05062017641.jpg~original]

This is 2016s cherry tomato in a balcony box....madness
[Image: 06092016547.jpg~original]

2016s paprika, with some lavender
[Image: 17082016544.jpg~original]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post
05-06-2017, 10:11 AM
(04-06-2017 03:16 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Tomatoes also have some of the deepest roots of garden veggies.

My Mendelian worshiping weed cross-breeding son claims that smart pots can contain and control root growth. Since the roots have the same access to air no matter where they are in the pot, when they reach the side or bottom of the pot they simply turn around.

Doesn't look like the GermanDiesel needs them though. Those are beautiful plants.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Gorgeous tomato plants, Deesse!

Maybe I will stick another tomato plant in as an experiment, girly. I have a smaller 18" pot that I haven't found a use for yet.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
05-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Tomato plant questions
I like growing tomatoes more than anything. They are generally easy to grow as long as the basics are met. I always have a problem with these guys though.

[Image: 87747751beb5660a477603cb224866d9.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
05-06-2017, 01:31 PM
(05-06-2017 01:06 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I like growing tomatoes more than anything. They are generally easy to grow as long as the basics are met. I always have a problem with these guys though.

Yeah, I really hate tomato hornworms. On the other hand, I love these:[Image: Luna_moth01_800x600.jpg]
and really feel sad when I see that some bird has eaten one of them and left the wings strewn across my yard. Gasp Is it too much to ask to have nice Luna moths without the nasty hornworms? Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
05-06-2017, 01:43 PM
(05-06-2017 01:06 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I like growing tomatoes more than anything. They are generally easy to grow as long as the basics are met. I always have a problem with these guys though.

Luckily, I haven't seen one in eons. And back then I had chickens - they would stand under the plant, spot a worm and jump up to eat it. It was fun to watch.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post