Tomatoes turn caterpillars into cannibals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Tomatoes turn caterpillars into cannibals
Caterpillars are not fussy eaters. They can eat the leaves of plants or turn on each other when food runs out. Tomato plants can switch on this cannibalistic instinct in caterpillars by making their leaves taste foul, finds a study in Nature Ecology & Evolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My website (username = Kyx): http://quantumquasar.forumotion.com/

Bowing
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bae Con Sand Witch's post
10-07-2017, 01:52 PM
RE: Tomatoes turn caterpillars into cannibals
(10-07-2017 01:35 PM)Bae Con Sand Witch Wrote:  Caterpillars are not fussy eaters. They can eat the leaves of plants or turn on each other when food runs out. Tomato plants can switch on this cannibalistic instinct in caterpillars by making their leaves taste foul, finds a study in Nature Ecology & Evolution.

Oh wow, do you have a link for this?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-07-2017, 01:56 PM
(10-07-2017 01:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 01:35 PM)Bae Con Sand Witch Wrote:  Caterpillars are not fussy eaters. They can eat the leaves of plants or turn on each other when food runs out. Tomato plants can switch on this cannibalistic instinct in caterpillars by making their leaves taste foul, finds a study in Nature Ecology & Evolution.

Oh wow, do you have a link for this?

Here: https://www.nature.com/news/plants-turn-...ls-1.22281

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
10-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Chickens are cannibals because they are omnivores. I suspect most life forms have been and are cannibals. Why wouldn't they be?

Tomatoes...they are the truly dangerous ones. Mind control. Holy shit!

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 3 users Like Jeanne's post
10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
After having kept 8 acres of all types of terrain and water as organic environment for some 25 years and watching plants and animals on a daily basis, I am not in the least surprised. I have watched a shrub move from one side of a fence to the other to prevent being constantly nibbled on, I have watched a tree turn into what I can only call a tallish groundcover after being frozen to the ground for several winters.

I am glad we are doing studies again, after "tree huggers" got a name as nitwits no one really wanted to study sentience/intelligence in other life forms any more.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-07-2017, 02:43 PM
That's why they need Caterpillar Jesus to keep them moral.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-07-2017, 02:54 PM
(10-07-2017 02:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's why they need Caterpillar Jesus to keep them moral.

Yup. Anyone know if CJ has a larvaeish version of the "loaves and fishes" thing ?

[Image: 3040392-6652496966-3601..jpg]
10-07-2017, 03:25 PM
(10-07-2017 02:00 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Chickens are cannibals because they are omnivores.
I hear they taste like chicken.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
10-07-2017, 08:21 PM
(10-07-2017 02:00 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Tomatoes...they are the truly dangerous ones. Mind control. Holy shit!

*meep* (grabs score for "Puberty Love" and rushes outside to serenade the Solanum lycopersicum in the back yard)

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
10-07-2017, 08:40 PM

Nature holds many aspects that we still have to discover. I know of someone who is allergic to Benadryl and got quite sick from being administered it. It only makes me sleepy as all get-out. One would think that a human body's chemistry would be a fairly consistent structure to test drugs against, but a drug that helps one can kill another. Else there wouldn't be drug trials.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post