Tomatoes turn caterpillars into cannibals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2017, 09:06 PM
RE: Tomatoes turn caterpillars into cannibals
(10-07-2017 08:40 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 01:35 PM)Bae Con Sand Witch Wrote:  Caterpillars are not fussy eaters. They can eat the leaves of plants or turn on each other when food runs out. Tomato plants can switch on this cannibalistic instinct in caterpillars by making their leaves taste foul, finds a study in Nature Ecology & Evolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nature holds many aspects that we still have to discover. I know of someone who is allergic to Benadryl and got quite sick from being administered it. It only makes me sleepy as all get-out. One would think that a human body's chemistry would be a fairly consistent structure to test drugs against, but a drug that helps one can kill another. Else there wouldn't be drug trials.

That's why I always say that we don't know shit - yet.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-07-2017, 04:51 PM
(10-07-2017 01:35 PM)Bae Con Sand Witch Wrote:  Caterpillars are not fussy eaters. They can eat the leaves of plants or turn on each other when food runs out. Tomato plants can switch on this cannibalistic instinct in caterpillars by making their leaves taste foul, finds a study in Nature Ecology & Evolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes tomatoes cannibalistic?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
11-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Wow. I followed that cannibal tomato link. I'm gonna have to plant some of those in my garden next year. That would seriously mess with my family's heads.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
11-07-2017, 06:22 PM
(10-07-2017 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  After having kept 8 acres of all types of terrain and water as organic environment for some 25 years and watching plants and animals on a daily basis, I am not in the least surprised. I have watched a shrub move from one side of a fence to the other to prevent being constantly nibbled on, I have watched a tree turn into what I can only call a tallish groundcover after being frozen to the ground for several winters.

I am glad we are doing studies again, after "tree huggers" got a name as nitwits no one really wanted to study sentience/intelligence in other life forms any more.

Cripe, my mint and tansy refuse to stay where I started them many years ago and have moved from the back side of my house to the front.

Last year, after decades of growing (and still growing there) in the back corner of the house bed, old-fashioned flox apparently sent its roots through the under part of the house in a straight line to the opposite front corner bed. They appeared last Spring among the day lillies and are spreading now across the front. Determined plants. This is the only other place they are growing, so I am making an assumption here, but if there was seed spreading, wouldn't they have sprung up somewhere else on the farm?

Mother Nature is one of those miracle-things.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."