Tomatoes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Tomatoes
Do you say Tomaito or Tomauto?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2012, 04:49 PM
RE: Tomatoes
(14-08-2012 01:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 12:45 PM)Observer Wrote:  peel under boiling water

Peel under boiling water - YIKES!!!!!!!

Alternative quickie recipe (the lazy girl's gourmet pasta sauce):

Put fresh picked tomatoes in Vitamix (skin and all). Add onions, pepper, salt, oregano, thyme, lots of fresh basil leaves, parsley, 1 green pepper.

Pulse until creamy.

Cook ground beef (low fat), italian sausage, sliced mushrooms and chopped onions in pan.

Add to tomato mixture. Microwave until done. Stir midway through cooking.

Pour over pasta, top with some Parmesan or similar Italian hard grated cheese.

Yum!!! If you don't have some of the ingredients, just skip them. It will still be great, just not perfect.

Ahhh!, the first direction in your recipe costs hundreds of dollars! lol (vitamix)

My favourite tomato quirky- bruschetta! I could eat that stuff daily! So good on cream cheese on baguette, too!

Zucchini Tomato bake:

2 -3 fresh tomatoes, sliced
2 -3 large zucchini, sliced into coins
2 tablespoons olive oil, to brush the veggies
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon basil (to taste)
salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Directions: 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 2 You can use any amounts you like but this is what you do: oil a shallow baking dish and cover the bottom of the dish with alternating slices of zucchini and tomato. 3 Mix the olive oil and herbs together and brush this generously over the slices arramged in the baking dish. 4 Add salt and pepper. 5 Sprinkle the top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes or so, check so the cheese doesn't burn.

Add sautéd purple onion throughout for a great flavour as well. Mmm! a great medley of flavour Heart
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-08-2012, 05:16 PM
(14-08-2012 04:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Do you say Tomaito or Tomauto?

Tomaaaaaahhhto. So I think the second one.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
14-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Doesn't have to be a vitamix, anything that pulses will be fine. And you can buy reconditioned Vitamix from the company for a fraction of the normal cost. Mine is like 20 years old, lol. Still works like a champ.

For the Germans: Pumpernickel in the states is not what we know as Pumpernickel. It's usually normal texture bread that is very dark.

For the US: Pumpernickel in Germany is whole grains (left whole, not ground up, in whole berry form) pressed into a very dense, heavy bread that is eaten in super thin slices.

I just came in from my garden with a basket with some 30 pounds of tomatoes and will set about making pasta sauce. Then I'll freeze it in portions. Yum.

I also slice and eat them on sandwiches for lunch, or throw them on the grill last thing, or throw them into most any veggies, last thing and whole so they come out just cooked and still intact. But most of all I go in the garden every afternoon and graze.... sun warmed tomatoes ripe and fresh from the vine - doesn't get any better than that.

I NEVER buy them in the store, I just get ticked off. I eat them when in season en masse. By the end of the season I am sick of them and when I start wanting them bad it's time to plant new ones...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-08-2012, 02:07 AM
(14-08-2012 05:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  .... sun warmed tomatoes ripe and fresh from the vine - doesn't get any better than that.

Oh yea - that right there. Sun warmed... I love how they smell... bite right in, like a plum. On the porch 'round dusk. Mmm.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-08-2012, 03:29 AM
It's pronounced toe-ma-are-toe.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-08-2012, 06:48 AM
(15-08-2012 03:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's pronounced toe-ma-are-toe.

No, termater.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Neither. Blink
15-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Māters

Which of course are māters & tāters; māters are tomatoes, while tāters are potatoes. I have no idea why they wouldn't be mātoes & tātoes... maybe they are.

I just say təmātəs sometimes təmätəs... sometimes I use the long ō - təmātō or təmätō.
Pretty much covers my ass. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
15-08-2012, 09:01 AM
(15-08-2012 08:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
Neither. Blink

Neether or Nyther?

btw. Does anyone else here have a tomato allergy (urticaria-like symptoms), particularly the seeds?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post