Tonight *Wednesday 10/27* Obama appearance, rally confirm Jon Stewart's reach

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Tonight *Wednesday 10/27* Obama appearance, rally confirm Jon Stewart's reach
CNN Article
I completely disagree with the title of that CNN article. Stewart is a Satirist on his show, but is also mentally incapable of ever coming out of character long enough to ask real questions.

I'd love to see someone address Obama's betrayal of his promise to repeal DADT, and how his Administration, through channels, has even fought to thwart a Federal courts stay on further enforcement thereof.
But it won't happen. At least, not so that Obama can answer without Stewart interjecting an asinine remark so as to derail the topic or preclude his serious address of it.
Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2010, 11:29 AM
RE: Tonight *Wednesday 10/27* Obama appearance, rally confirm Jon Stewart's reach
(27-10-2010 11:21 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I completely disagree with the title of that CNN article. Stewart is a Satirist on his show, but is also mentally incapable of ever coming out of character long enough to ask real questions.

I disagree strongly. Stewart is, in my opinion, a very intelligent person. I don't always agree with what he says, but if you watch the interviews that he's had on other networks, he actually makes some very intelligent and thoughtful points.

He's a brilliant satirist, but he's also a very astute political analyst.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2010, 11:58 AM

RE: Tonight *Wednesday 10/27* Obama appearance, rally confirm Jon Stewart's reach
(27-10-2010 11:29 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(27-10-2010 11:21 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I completely disagree with the title of that CNN article. Stewart is a Satirist on his show, but is also mentally incapable of ever coming out of character long enough to ask real questions.

I disagree strongly. Stewart is, in my opinion, a very intelligent person. I don't always agree with what he says, but if you watch the interviews that he's had on other networks, he actually makes some very intelligent and thoughtful points.

While surfing channels I've often come upon his show and when he's a guest on others. I've taken the time to watch to see if he ever turns serious or takes a moment out of his character, to offer an intelligent exchange with a guest on his own program, or answer any question posed by the host of other shows and have yet, in over three years time, to see it happen.

So I'll respect your opinion based on what you've witnessed. However, I have yet to see it.
27-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Look I'm no Obama apologist (didn't even vote for him), but how did he go back on his word about DADT? He never even got an opportunity to sign such a bill because Congress has their heads so very far up their asses!

On topic, there is a fine line people like JS walk. In order to get guests like Obama and many others he must be respectful, but be too respectful then you're ineffective. Many many reporters talk a big game until their face to face with someone, because if you roast someone like Obama then I'm sorry you've just roasted your career along with him.
27-10-2010, 12:23 PM

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-oc...view-pt--1

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-au...view-pt--2

Watch those. Stewart can be one of the most brilliant interviewers on TV. He is a comedian after all, so that is his primary responsibility.
27-10-2010, 12:25 PM
(27-10-2010 11:58 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(27-10-2010 11:29 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

While surfing channels I've often come upon his show and when he's a guest on others. I've taken the time to watch to see if he ever turns serious or takes a moment out of his character, to offer an intelligent exchange with a guest on his own program, or answer any question posed by the host of other shows and have yet, in over three years time, to see it happen.

So I'll respect your opinion based on what you've witnessed. However, I have yet to see it.

I meant to post a specific interview with my previous post, but I couldn't find it at the time, as I couldn't remember which show it was on. Found it now (I think; I'm currently in an area where speakers are a no-no, so I can't listen to the audio. Anyway, you know which interview it is now, so if this isn't the right video you can look it up).

Jon Stewart on Crossfire

More later; out of time.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
27-10-2010, 12:46 PM

(27-10-2010 12:06 PM)Dregs Wrote:  Look I'm no Obama apologist (didn't even vote for him), but how did he go back on his word about DADT?
Perhaps you're unaware of this.

The Obama administration today asked a federal judge to suspend her order for an immediate, worldwide end to the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, which prohibits gay and lesbian service members from openly serving.
(ABC News)

Having been defeated by the GOP and two of his own party members, in repealing DADT earlier, he sought to put a stay on a Federal Judge's order to stay the application of DADT against gay service personnel in the military.
He opposed an interim decision that would insure gay equality and rights in the ranks, until another Bill can be pursued on it's own, one would hope, to repeal DADT outright.
Obama in seeking to repeal the stay, in effect asking that DADT continue full force, is going back on his word to halt the policy of DADT in the ranks. In other words, who cares how it's done, as long as it's done!? Obviously, Obama doesn't see it that way. Of course, now he's in office thanks to the promises he made to insure the election to that position, so he doesn't have to.
(27-10-2010 12:25 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Jon Stewart on Crossfire
I LOVE Stewart's remarks to Carlson being just as big a dick on Crossfire as anywhere else.
What was tragic about that 2004 interview is the Crossfire hosts didn't listen to a word he said. He was right, and yet their ego's and partisan hackery wouldn't let them absorb serious criticism because they're not really about offering the electorate opportunity to witness impartial debate platform. They are just as Stewart said, whores strolling down spin alley.

Good link. Thank you.
27-10-2010, 06:44 PM
If you want to see Stewart step out of character, go find the clip of him dismantling CNBC host Jim Kramer from "Mad Money". He has also asked hard questions of people like John Bolton and a host of others. You may be confusing him with Steven Colbert, who never comes out of character (but who still makes very salient points with his satirical alter ego).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-10-2010, 06:56 PM

(27-10-2010 06:44 PM)BnW Wrote:  If you want to see Stewart step out of character, go find the clip of him dismantling CNBC host Jim Kramer from "Mad Money". He has also asked hard questions of people like John Bolton and a host of others. You may be confusing him with Steven Colbert, who never comes out of character (but who still makes very salient points with his satirical alter ego).
I am aware of Colbert's tendency as well. It was an insult to Congress and the issues, when he made his appearance there not long ago. He made a fool of himself, more than a salient point.

Re: Jon Stewart, as I said I find him when I surf cable. In those moments when I happen upon his show, and Colbert's for that matter, I do stop to see if either of them will get serious in those moments while I watch, but I have yet to see it.
The aforementioned/linked You Tube video was enlightening and I believe you when you reference other appearances where Stewart took on a serious note and addressed the issues. I've not seen those shows, so as to know that so I appreciate the information and will look for them on You Tube so that I can amend my opinion of him.
27-10-2010, 07:00 PM
(27-10-2010 12:46 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I LOVE Stewart's remarks to Carlson being just as big a dick on Crossfire as anywhere else.
What was tragic about that 2004 interview is the Crossfire hosts didn't listen to a word he said. He was right, and yet their ego's and partisan hackery wouldn't let them absorb serious criticism because they're not really about offering the electorate opportunity to witness impartial debate platform. They are just as Stewart said, whores strolling down spin alley.

Good link. Thank you.

No problem. Personally, my favorite bit was "I didn't realize that news programs looked to Comedy Central for their cues on honesty". Pure genius.