Tonight on PBS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Tonight on PBS
All three episodes of Neil Shuban's Your Inner Fish. Thumbsup

20:00 EDT
Paleobiologist Neil Shubin examines the evolutionary roots of humans through evidence found within human DNA and the fossil record in this three-part series. First up: the legacy left humans by the first fish to lumber onto land, which includes arms, hands, legs, necks and lungs.

21:00 EDT
Part 2 of 3. The evolution of reptile-like animals into shrew-like mammals about 250 million years ago is detailed. Included: the features humans inherited from their reptilian ancestors, such as skin, teeth and ears.

22:00 EDT
Conclusion. The traits that humans inherited from primates are detailed, including versatile hands, good vision and able brains. Not everything proved to be sterling, however: bad backs and a terrible sense of smell also hail from the simian forebears.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-08-2015, 04:28 PM
RE: Tonight on PBS
Which PBS?

I checked some of the ones I've been in border blaster range of, not that there are any up here. No listing.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
27-08-2015, 04:37 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed that series. Neil Shubin is not only good at explaining things so people of all backgrounds can understand, but he has an infectious love of paleontology. You can't help but share his excitement over it. The book was good too, but his presentation is something else. I know this series used to be on youtube, you can probably still find it there if you miss it on PBS (or aren't in the US).
[+] 2 users Like gnarlynewt's post
28-08-2015, 05:16 AM
(27-08-2015 04:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Which PBS?

I checked some of the ones I've been in border blaster range of, not that there are any up here. No listing.

It was broadcast channel 2.1, WGBH Boston.

I should have been more precise. PBS stations have a lot of freedom in setting their schedules. I don't know whether local stations must schedule certain things (e.g. Masterpiece Theater on Sunday evening) like commercial networks or whether they are free to do whatever. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2015, 06:13 AM
It's also available on Netflix right now. Excellent series!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
01-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Great series Chas! I was a bit skeptical that they would not be able to do his wonderful book justice but they did a great job. A must see to anyone who missed it.

I recently finished his latest book The Universe Within. Another good read.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
01-09-2015, 07:59 PM
I will find it on the net. Thanks for the heads up on the series. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.