Tonight's Experience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 07:22 AM
RE: Tonight's Experience
I find that in certain social situations where you just can't be fucked, it's just easier to nod your head and agree...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2013, 07:55 AM
JK, I live in Mississippi and have had many similar experiences. I try to be polite and realize that I'm in someone else's home, but then I don't want to get walked on either. Sometimes I will engage a little, but mostly not because I can't change their minds. I've had to get up and walk outside for air when trapped at BF's family gatherings. I don't know where the line is--I don't want to attack someone in their home when they invite me to supper, but I guess it's ok for them attack guests.

Godless in the Magnolia State
23-06-2013, 08:31 AM
JKShrout, I would highly recommend reading The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt. It can help explain why evangelicals who can't tolerate dissent are the way they are.

And of course, welcome back. Smile Free speech is welcomed here (for the most part) and no one is going to censor your opinions.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
23-06-2013, 08:35 AM
(23-06-2013 07:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I find that in certain social situations where you just can't be fucked, it's just easier to nod your head and agree...
Next time I'm in that situation, I'm just gonna agree with everything they say.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
[+] 1 user Likes jkshrout's post
23-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Good job on not losing your cool, and I can sympathize (we call can). We have been there.

But just like others said, take heart in the fact they are losing their ground to stand on. People like them and their way of thinking find themselves in a situation where their hold on this country shrinks with each passing day. Their desperation (which you can see in ANY number of news stories) speaks to that fact. They are on the losing side of history, and much like we look back and earlier times and remark on how people were so close minded and clueless, years from now people will do the same with them.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
23-06-2013, 11:26 AM
You can also always use the questioning approach.

"That's an interesting stance you have on that issue. What are your reasons for holding that view point ? "
And if you don't feel the reasons justify their stance, you can call them on that without ever having to give your opinion on the issue.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
23-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I've been meaning to ask this question cause I hear it repeated a lot on the forums.

Why is it a good idea to hold your ideas in? I totally agree with the part of keeping your cool, thats always a given, but they obviously had no problem spluttering their filth at the dining room table. Isnt she just as justified to share hers?

I'm not a big fan of "hiding" what I think when others are so willing to "share" with me.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
23-06-2013, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 06:51 PM by Revenant77x.)
(23-06-2013 12:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I've been meaning to ask this question cause I hear it repeated a lot on the forums.

Why is it a good idea to hold your ideas in? I totally agree with the part of keeping your cool, thats always a given, but they obviously had no problem spluttering their filth at the dining room table. Isnt she just as justified to share hers?

I'm not a big fan of "hiding" what I think when others are so willing to "share" with me.

It is situational. For the OP he was invited into their home and a private celebration so in that instance it is probably best not to make a scene. You come and knock on my door however and it's game on. I have talked politics and religion with most everyone I know and it's not a big thing so long as you are respectful of others. If I already know you're not going to be respectful of those topics I don't bother talking to you. Some of my favorite people to talk to hold opposite views on religion and social issues, but it has to be mutual respect. We can disagree but not turn it into ad hom attacks.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-06-2013, 12:35 PM
(22-06-2013 10:03 PM)jkshrout Wrote:  I could've proven them wrong so easily, asserted my points so well as I tend to do, and objectively crushed them, but I chose not to.

This raises a fundamental question about Atheism to me. Why do we tolerate this? Why is it normal for us to bow our heads and take it?

Doesn't it matter that you were offended? It only seems to matter to a fundamentalist when they are offended. We all know they would rather rob everyone else of free speech than listen to us for a second.

Where is our Rosa Parks? When are we going to get the courage it takes to stand up against so many ignorant people?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 2 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
23-06-2013, 06:50 PM
(23-06-2013 12:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I've been meaning to ask this question cause I hear it repeated a lot on the forums.

Hehe, I'm actually a dude who just loves Olivia Wilde. And I'd probably argue back to them if I wasn't the only partially-liberal atheist in a room filled with conservative Christian fundamentalists and I'd be ganged up on and drowned out (more so than if I just nodded my head). Plus it wasn't in my home; my friend's parents have always been nice to me, so I didn't want to start anything with their extended family in their home.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
[+] 1 user Likes jkshrout's post