Tonight's Experience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 06:53 PM
RE: Tonight's Experience
(23-06-2013 06:50 PM)jkshrout Wrote:  
(23-06-2013 12:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I've been meaning to ask this question cause I hear it repeated a lot on the forums.

Why is it a good idea to hold your ideas in? I totally agree with the part of keeping your cool, thats always a given, but they obviously had no problem spluttering their filth at the dining room table. Isnt she just as justified to share hers?

I'm not a big fan of "hiding" what I think when others are so willing to "share" with me.
Hehe, I'm actually a dude who just loves Olivia Wilde. And I'd probably argue back to them if I wasn't the only partially-liberal atheist in a room filled with conservative Christian fundamentalists and I'd be ganged up on and drowned out (more so than if I just nodded my head). Plus it wasn't in my home; my friend's parents have always been nice to me, so I didn't want to start anything with their extended family in their home.

Ha! Sorry for assuming. Smile

Its fine I totally understand that if you aren't comfortable speaking up you shouldn't. I just become concerned with people suggesting to just keep it to yourself. Nothing ever changes when you do that.

(PS Olivia Wilde is amazing)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-06-2013, 07:07 PM
(23-06-2013 06:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Its fine I totally understand that if you aren't comfortable speaking up you shouldn't. I just become concerned with people suggesting to just keep it to yourself. Nothing ever changes when you do that.

I feel the same way as you do -- if they're throwing off the bondage of politeness and spewing opinion all over the carpet, then why wouldn't I do the same? And in my own case, I do speak up as soon as someone breaks the ice with religious or political sentiment. For example, I visited my father on father's day and just listened to conversation until my Christian/Republican father and brother started discussing the "evils" of Obama's NSA program, chiming in myself that it wasn't "Obama's problem" but rather one continued from Bush (not that I'm giving Obama a pass, but rather think that Bush is just as guilty as Obama on this one). I would never throw in my 2 cents about such a topic unless I was with dinner guests who hadn't heard that religion and politics are taboo in mixed company, but such was the case.

I wouldn't blame anyone for just letting it all wash over himself or herself without jumping in and stamping out the flames of stupidity, but I certainly don't condemn it, either.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
23-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I'd just rather pick my fights. I argue with family all the time, friends too, but I don't know these people so I don't know how far I can push the envelope as far as arguments go.

And again, they were overall not bad people. Just sorta passive-aggressive and condescending (which stings because they're totally wrong about everything).

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
Find all posts by this user