Tony Blair to debate Christopher Hitchens on religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2010, 12:25 AM
RE: Tony Blair to debate Christopher Hitchens on religion
Thank you highly for posting this. This should be an awesome debate to watch. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 08:30 PM
This was just on CSpan. It was really interesting and fun to watch. My only comment is that it struck me as very shocking that neither Hitchens nor Blair was willing to acknowledge that they were absolutely in the wrong in their support of the Iraq invasion. Hitchens even went so far as to defend his position on the invasion. WTF?
04-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Hitchens has always defended the invasion of Iraq. I actually feel that his usual argument for defending the invasion is the only one that holds. He argues that the U.S. has a obligation to the Iraqi population because they didn't invade them the first time they were there. As we all know that just caused Iraq to be sealed of from the outside world. Being sealed of and under sanctions made the period between the wars a living hell for the people of Iraq. It can be likened to shooting a deer in the foot instead of in the heart. It's still going to die, but it will suffer a lot before it does.
We all know why Iraq was really invaded. It has everything to do with the oil and nothing to do with being nice to the Iraqis. So, since I agree with Hitchens's point, I feel the invasion was the right thing to do, but it was done for the wrong reason.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
04-01-2011, 06:19 AM
The reasons we didn't invade Iraq when Bush Sr was president were sound and acceptable. The reasons Hitchens gives for why we had to go in the second time are flimsy. He says Hussein was a brutal dictator and it was right to take him out. OK, so why not go in to North Korea or Iran? At the time of the invasion, Hussein was not being particularly brutish. There are (and were at the time) worse places in the world.

Not that I want to start this debate. I don't. I'm simply noting that on this issue, and in my opinion, Hitchens is being intellectually dishonest.
04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I agree that he seems dishonest in this case. I would expect a man of such intellect to be more differentiated in his opinion on this matter. But in his defense he has said repeatedly that something needs to be done about Iran and North Korea. Though I can't remember him saying that an invasion is the way to go.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Hitchens is unclassifiable as far as my attempts have gone, and I respect him for that.

And certainly, he is able to place opponents of the Iraq War in the position of upholding a genocidal dictatorship very effectively. However, I think the significance is when and who invaded Iraq, not the invasion of Iraq itself.

When?

2003, long after Hussein had committed his worst crimes. In fact, the al-Anfal campaign was done with the aid of the Reagan administration.

Who?

By the United States, mainly. The United States did not act for humanitarian reasons. If this was so, then why does the United States insist upon supporting the brutal dictatorship in Saudi Arabia? Simple, because Saudi Arabia provides the US with oil, and oil executives with cash.

And that is simply one example. One may say that the United States does not move against all dictatorships because doing so is impractical, and could instigate international conflict with far more horrific consequences than the initial dictatorships (which the Iraq War arguable has done).

However, the greater horror is that the United States backs dictatorships. Perhaps the most horrific yet least known is Suharto's Indonesia-

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gBus...cRgEtt9Pvw
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
(28-11-2010 06:30 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Ahh oks.

And that 32 were probably Catholics or just "not wanting to offend anyone" knowing Britain xD

The debate took place in Canada, not Britain. Though Canadians do tend to do the "not wanting to offend anyone" thing a bit too much :/

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM

I stayed up late watching that pitiful debate, can I have those 1.5hrs back please? I feel sorry for Blaire and his "foundation" get demolished by a relatively tame version of CH. It was really nice to see CH though, I don't know how he is feeling physically but mentally he is on the button!
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't feel sorry for Blaire. Christians have murdered and tortured atheists for thousands of years, all Mr. Hitchens did was talk sense to Tony.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.