Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2016, 03:51 PM
RE: Tony Robbins... people actually buy into this crap
(25-06-2016 02:28 PM)cactus Wrote:  This is the face I see in my nightmares
[Image: Inc_Playbook_Tony_Robbins_Staying_Rich_Pano_87541.jpg]

Reminds me a little of Max Headroom...
[Image: Max_Headroom_article_zps9zbemshw.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-06-2016, 04:00 PM
To riff off of HL Mencken, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
25-06-2016, 06:19 PM
(25-06-2016 02:28 PM)cactus Wrote:  This is the face I see in my nightmares
[Image: Inc_Playbook_Tony_Robbins_Staying_Rich_Pano_87541.jpg]

Is he a horse?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-06-2016, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 07:32 PM by seoq.)
What exactly is it about Tony Robbins that you guys dislike so much? Walking on hot coals is obviously a risky thing to include in a seminar seeing as someone could get hurt (I don't understand why he would include that), but I've read two of his books (in part) and I didn't find him all that wacky. The one book, Money: Master The Game (a gimmicky title, yes), is basically just a very long way of explaining to people why they should invest in index funds and allow compound interest to take place. He also goes into detail about what you should avoid when investing (mutual funds, etc.). He also includes short interviews with some successful people (billionaires/CEOs) asking for their advice and the financial tips they would pass on to their children in the hypothetical scenario that they couldn't leave any wealth. Iirc he donated all the profits from that book to a charity that feeds homeless people in the US. The other book was Awaken the Giant which he wrote in 1991. Some might read it and find it wacky but in all honestly it's pretty much just a harmless way to look at things so you can get some inspiration to tackle life goals. I found it somewhat helpful in that I didn't really need it but could see its use and was able to apply certain principles. Tony shares his background in it and it doesn't surprise me that he turned into someone so good at motivating others. Now it might be fair to say that his actual seminars are a huge scam, as I've never been to one or watched one. I just doubt that they are. From what I've heard people get a lot out of them and there's no shortage of successful people willing to step up and say that he's the real deal. I imagine though that that approach isn't for everyone (attending a seminar)

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, I'm just curious about why you guys dislike him so much and thought it fair to share what I know about him. He seems like a good guy to me.
25-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Well, I'd say they probably learned their lesson, but I think that's wishful thinking. But considering they were dumb enough to walk over hot coals I think they deserved what they got.
25-06-2016, 07:29 PM
(25-06-2016 07:25 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Well, I'd say they probably learned their lesson, but I think that's wishful thinking. But considering they were dumb enough to walk over hot coals I think they deserved what they got.

Fire walking is no big deal. Anyone can do it safely.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2016, 07:33 PM
(25-06-2016 07:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 07:25 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Well, I'd say they probably learned their lesson, but I think that's wishful thinking. But considering they were dumb enough to walk over hot coals I think they deserved what they got.

Fire walking is no big deal. Anyone can do it safely.

CAN do it safely. But apparently it's possible to not do it safely too. I'm guessing these people didn't know how.
25-06-2016, 07:38 PM
This is how it should be done.

25-06-2016, 07:42 PM
TONY ROBBINS HUNGRY!!!
25-06-2016, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 07:49 PM by cactus.)
His speaking style is like a constant barrage of appeals to authority (himself) and emotion. This makes him very good at selling shit to people.
Also, he's affiliated with Oprah, constant peddler of common sense "words of wisdom", and sometimes utter nonsense, packaged in an expensive layer of brand loyalty. I think that's what people don't like about him, and others like him.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?