Tony Robbins... people actually buy into this crap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2016, 07:45 PM
RE: Tony Robbins... people actually buy into this crap
(25-06-2016 07:17 PM)seoq Wrote:  What exactly is it about Tony Robbins that you guys dislike so much? Walking on hot coals is obviously a risky thing to include in a seminar seeing as someone could get hurt (I don't understand why he would include that), but I've read two of his books (in part) and I didn't find him all that wacky. The one book, Money: Master The Game (a gimmicky title, yes), is basically just a very long way of explaining to people why they should invest in index funds and allow compound interest to take place. He also goes into detail about what you should avoid when investing (mutual funds, etc.). He also includes short interviews with some successful people (billionaires/CEOs) asking for their advice and the financial tips they would pass on to their children in the hypothetical scenario that they couldn't leave any wealth. Iirc he donated all the profits from that book to a charity that feeds homeless people in the US. The other book was Awaken the Giant which he wrote in 1991. Some might read it and find it wacky but in all honestly it's pretty much just a harmless way to look at things so you can get some inspiration to tackle life goals. I found it somewhat helpful in that I didn't really need it but could see its use and was able to apply certain principles. Tony shares his background in it and it doesn't surprise me that he turned into someone so good at motivating others. Now it might be fair to say that his actual seminars are a huge scam, as I've never been to one or watched one. I just doubt that they are. From what I've heard people get a lot out of them and there's no shortage of successful people willing to step up and say that he's the real deal. I imagine though that that approach isn't for everyone (attending a seminar)

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, I'm just curious about why you guys dislike him so much and thought it fair to share what I know about him. He seems like a good guy to me.

Did he convince you to walk on hot coals?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2016, 07:47 PM
(25-06-2016 07:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 07:17 PM)seoq Wrote:  What exactly is it about Tony Robbins that you guys dislike so much? Walking on hot coals is obviously a risky thing to include in a seminar seeing as someone could get hurt (I don't understand why he would include that), but I've read two of his books (in part) and I didn't find him all that wacky. The one book, Money: Master The Game (a gimmicky title, yes), is basically just a very long way of explaining to people why they should invest in index funds and allow compound interest to take place. He also goes into detail about what you should avoid when investing (mutual funds, etc.). He also includes short interviews with some successful people (billionaires/CEOs) asking for their advice and the financial tips they would pass on to their children in the hypothetical scenario that they couldn't leave any wealth. Iirc he donated all the profits from that book to a charity that feeds homeless people in the US. The other book was Awaken the Giant which he wrote in 1991. Some might read it and find it wacky but in all honestly it's pretty much just a harmless way to look at things so you can get some inspiration to tackle life goals. I found it somewhat helpful in that I didn't really need it but could see its use and was able to apply certain principles. Tony shares his background in it and it doesn't surprise me that he turned into someone so good at motivating others. Now it might be fair to say that his actual seminars are a huge scam, as I've never been to one or watched one. I just doubt that they are. From what I've heard people get a lot out of them and there's no shortage of successful people willing to step up and say that he's the real deal. I imagine though that that approach isn't for everyone (attending a seminar)

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, I'm just curious about why you guys dislike him so much and thought it fair to share what I know about him. He seems like a good guy to me.

No, but I got enough out of his books to justify my investment. Like I said I've never attended one of his seminars.
25-06-2016, 07:54 PM
(25-06-2016 07:47 PM)seoq Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 07:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Did he convince you to walk on hot coals?

No, but I got enough out of his books to justify my investment. Like I said I've never attended one of his seminars.

If you notice I was wondering how it is that someone can be talked into walking on hot coals by someone like Tony Robbins...or anyone else for that matter.

My surprise is that someone would do that.

It bothers me that there are people who can be talked into doing insane things and that there are people who will talk them into doing it. That's what bothers me about Tony Robbins...maybe he has some good ideas...walking on hot coals isn't one of them, apparently some people weren't able to tell the difference. He is a pitchman after all and they were buying into what he was selling.

Glad the books worked out for you. Just don't set them on fire and step on them with your bare feet...turns out that isn't such a good idea...the payoff kinda sucks since feet are important.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

25-06-2016, 07:55 PM
(25-06-2016 07:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 07:47 PM)seoq Wrote:  No, but I got enough out of his books to justify my investment. Like I said I've never attended one of his seminars.

If you notice I was wondering how it is that someone can be talked into walking on hot coals by someone like Tony Robbins...or anyone else for that matter.

It bothers me that there are people who can be talked into doing insane things and that there are people who will talk them into doing it. That's what bothers me about Tony Robbins...maybe he has some good ideas...walking on hot coals isn't one of them, apparently some people weren't able to tell the difference. He is a pitchman after all and they were buying into what he was selling.

Glad the books worked out for you. Just don't set them on fire and step on them with your bare feet...turns out that isn't such a good idea...the payoff kinda sucks since feet are important.

I'd be extremely disappointed if he didn't make things right for anyone who was injured.
25-06-2016, 07:59 PM
^^I would probably talk myself into paying money (probably less than they payed for that seminar) to walk on hot coals, just because I think it's pretty fucking cool.
Does that make me both a gullible victim... and a sleazy salesman? Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
25-06-2016, 08:01 PM
(25-06-2016 07:55 PM)seoq Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 07:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you notice I was wondering how it is that someone can be talked into walking on hot coals by someone like Tony Robbins...or anyone else for that matter.

I'd be extremely disappointed if he didn't make things right for anyone who was injured.

Go click on the link I posted in the first post and read it. It states quite clearly that Tony Robbins isn't at fault, according to his people. And, this isn't the first time it's happened at his seminars.

People have been hurt before and he still does it. Don't think that's 'making it right'.

25-06-2016, 08:03 PM
(25-06-2016 02:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I feel so bad for those people, I know there is supposed to be a way of doing it where you don't get hurt but I can guarantee with practice and training I would still fuck it up and end up in the hospital.

Don't shuffle your feet. There is a coating on top if you walk correctly snd don't shuffle you can do it. I did in a so called Phoenix ceremony on New Years Eve Dec 31 1999. It isn't magical it is listening to how it is done and following instructions.
25-06-2016, 08:05 PM
^What if you trip and fall on your face?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
25-06-2016, 08:05 PM
(25-06-2016 07:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 07:47 PM)seoq Wrote:  No, but I got enough out of his books to justify my investment. Like I said I've never attended one of his seminars.

THat is easy, sit there and watch a few hundred people do it and why not I am as cool as those shitheads!
25-06-2016, 08:08 PM
(25-06-2016 07:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Tony Robbins didn't convince me a lady who paid my way and carried a pair of 38s and I ain't talking guns here convinced me after she went for a walk across them and came and put her feet in my lap. She convinced me. Twas in Sarasota Florida 11:00 PM Dec 31 1999.