Too Many Big Words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Too Many Big Words
Christian just told me that my argument used too many big words so it's invalid. Priceless!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like true scotsman's post
08-06-2015, 07:13 PM
RE: Too Many Big Words
(08-06-2015 06:54 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Christian just told me that my argument used too many big words so it's invalid. Priceless!

An important part of effective persuasion involves making sure your language matches your target audience Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
08-06-2015, 07:20 PM
(08-06-2015 07:13 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 06:54 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Christian just told me that my argument used too many big words so it's invalid. Priceless!

An important part of effective persuasion involves making sure your language matches your target audience Tongue
The words were consciousness and existence and primacy. I wasn't trying to persuade anyone anyway. I was simply defending myself from a charge that I was dishonest.

I have met my burden of proof and vindicated myself. If he was too lazy to learn what my argument meant that is not a fault with my argument.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
08-06-2015, 07:35 PM
(08-06-2015 07:20 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  The words were consciousness and existence and primacy.

Huh? Use littler words.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
09-06-2015, 01:18 AM

I would say that for believers you got to keep it simple, but arguing with believer is like playing chess with pigeon.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-06-2015, 05:49 AM
Dumb it down...

[Image: 0dd1fb6b4887575dba61d24d6e72f1d7.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 12 users Like Anjele's post
09-06-2015, 05:58 AM
The aforementioned christian quite possibly can only assimilate simplistic, condensed or compressed verbiage.

Try

"Ain't No God --- you twat !"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Here's a link to the thread if anyone wants to follow it.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/f...l.7891735/

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-06-2015, 09:15 AM
(09-06-2015 01:18 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  

I would say that for believers you got to keep it simple, but arguing with believer is like playing chess with pigeon.

Oh. I know that. The only reason I do it is to clarify my own thinking. It helps my own understanding when I have to explain my position to those who are ignorant of it and hostile to it. That's the only reason I engage them. It is not to convert anyone. I've learned a lot from this thread.

09-06-2015, 09:19 AM
(09-06-2015 07:53 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Here's a link to the thread if anyone wants to follow it.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/f...l.7891735/

I had to stop reading at this point :

As a Christian, my belief is fundamentally based on one truth- the truth spoke in the bible. And in that truth, God is infallible.
The issue I take with some science is that it argues that truth.
My belief in God is simply stronger than belief in a scientific theory.

Facepalm

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased