Too Many Big Words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: Too Many Big Words
(09-06-2015 09:15 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 01:18 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that for believers you got to keep it simple, but arguing with believer is like playing chess with pigeon.

Oh. I know that. The only reason I do it is to clarify my own thinking. It helps my own understanding when I have to explain my position to those who are ignorant of it and hostile to it. That's the only reason I engage them. It is not to convert anyone. I've learned a lot from this thread.

It's good reason I would say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 12:05 PM
(09-06-2015 07:53 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Here's a link to the thread if anyone wants to follow it.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/f...l.7891735/

Yabut, where?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2015, 12:59 PM
(09-06-2015 09:19 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 07:53 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Here's a link to the thread if anyone wants to follow it.

I had to stop reading at this point :

As a Christian, my belief is fundamentally based on one truth- the truth spoke in the bible. And in that truth, God is infallible.
The issue I take with some science is that it argues that truth.
My belief in God is simply stronger than belief in a scientific theory.

Facepalm

And they bristle when it is said that faith is irrational and then they say things like that. Amazing!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-06-2015, 01:17 PM
(09-06-2015 12:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Yabut, where?

Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that. You can start at post 33 on page two. That is where the follower of the Urantia book engaged me and then another Cristian named JacksBratt engaged me a little further on. He is the one who claimed I used too many big words.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-06-2015, 02:42 PM
[Image: toomanywords_zpshth1wbma.jpg]

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
09-06-2015, 03:06 PM
(09-06-2015 01:17 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 12:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, where?

Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that. You can start at post 33 on page two. That is where the follower of the Urantia book engaged me and then another Cristian named JacksBratt engaged me a little further on. He is the one who claimed I used too many big words.

This is exactly why I can't get involved with forums like that. My blood pressure would be through the roof. I can't justify debating someone who refuses to look at logic. There are so many intellectual infants crawling around the thread you posted that I was turning a red-ish orange hue from just reading the back and forth between you and Colter. Blah. Eff that man! You're a better person than I.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
09-06-2015, 03:55 PM
(09-06-2015 03:06 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 01:17 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that. You can start at post 33 on page two. That is where the follower of the Urantia book engaged me and then another Cristian named JacksBratt engaged me a little further on. He is the one who claimed I used too many big words.

This is exactly why I can't get involved with forums like that. My blood pressure would be through the roof. I can't justify debating someone who refuses to look at logic. There are so many intellectual infants crawling around the thread you posted that I was turning a red-ish orange hue from just reading the back and forth between you and Colter. Blah. Eff that man! You're a better person than I.

You just have to breath deeply and evenly and think of your happy place. There is a certain amount of entertainment value involved. It actually does help me to streamline my responses. I experiment with different approaches. I can now explain things in a few sentences that used to take a page. I can't stand long responses on forums. I practice getting to the heart of the matter without getting side tracked. I think of it as practice in philosophical detection.

[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
09-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Too Many Big Words
Just reading that thread irritates me. Are Colter and JacksBratt always that dense?
09-06-2015, 04:05 PM
[quote='Anjele' pid='795363' dateline='1433850591']
Dumb it down...

This seems to fit the dialogue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-06-2015, 04:44 PM
(08-06-2015 06:54 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Christian just told me that my argument used too many big words so it's invalid. Priceless!

Hemingway fan?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post