Too Many Big Words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: Too Many Big Words
(13-06-2015 07:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 04:16 PM)f stop Wrote:  Facepalm Big words like "hermeneutics"? I never heard of that one until some theist pulled it on me. They have others. Rolleyes

That shit sounds like a bit a scam medicine...

Yeah, they just keep diluting the text until there's no original meaning left. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-06-2015, 07:28 PM
(08-06-2015 07:35 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 07:20 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  The words were consciousness and existence and primacy.

Huh? Use littler words.
Ironically the word most people would be the least familiar with in my judgment is the shortest one -- primacy.

As long as "consciousness" and "existence" weren't used in some sort of meaningless "deepity", I think most people know what those words mean. And I don't see how you can use simper words without doing more harm than good.

I think you were just dealing with a very lazy and easily threatened debater, with whom there's no progress (or entertainment) to be had.
Find all posts by this user
17-06-2015, 08:23 AM
(12-06-2015 03:48 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  That was the only Criticism he offered. That fancy language didn't disprove god. That's how I took it.

Dude.

C'mon... I'm on your team, but that isn't a true statement. He offered criticism. Very blunt criticism. I know you don't... in the least... have any type of reading comprehension problem, so I'm chalking this up to "selective comprehension".

The bolded parts are his criticisms of your analysis:

Quote:Wow, that sure is a lot of words. Observing a stapler, imagining it could change. Imagining food in your cupboard and on and on. All this consciousness and existence, conscious or existence.

It's all written so eloquently too. All those big words, "primacy" "axiom of existence"

However, the intellect of some egg head talking about staplers, existence related to consciousness and does not prove there is no God. You cannot prove such a thing. And, like you said "That existence has primacy is undeniable". It is possible for something to exist without us being aware.

Well some people aren't aware. But I am. God exists. It's not for me to prove that He does. It's for others to prove that He doesn't. This "mental gymnastic philosophy" may impress some. To me it's just arrogant rants by self perceived intellectuals.

It's a very well-defined criticism and has nothing to do with your big words.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Quote:Well some people aren't aware. But I am. God exists. It's not for me to prove that He does. It's for others to prove that He doesn't. This "mental gymnastic philosophy" may impress some. To me it's just arrogant rants by self perceived intellectuals.

Well sure Sparky, if you're happy to stay alone with your imaginary friend and enjoy his company. It's when you start deciding policy on the basis of your imaginary friend, when you start affecting *other people* and saying "God told me to", *that's* when it becomes your job to prove that your friend actually exists and that it's reasonable for you to comply with his demands.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-06-2015, 08:40 AM
(17-06-2015 08:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  
Quote:Well some people aren't aware. But I am. God exists. It's not for me to prove that He does. It's for others to prove that He doesn't. This "mental gymnastic philosophy" may impress some. To me it's just arrogant rants by self perceived intellectuals.

Well sure Sparky, if you're happy to stay alone with your imaginary friend and enjoy his company. It's when you start deciding policy on the basis of your imaginary friend, when you start affecting *other people* and saying "God told me to", *that's* when it becomes your job to prove that your friend actually exists and that it's reasonable for you to comply with his demands.

Just making sure you do know that's not a KCquote.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-06-2015, 04:04 PM
(17-06-2015 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 08:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well sure Sparky, if you're happy to stay alone with your imaginary friend and enjoy his company. It's when you start deciding policy on the basis of your imaginary friend, when you start affecting *other people* and saying "God told me to", *that's* when it becomes your job to prove that your friend actually exists and that it's reasonable for you to comply with his demands.

Just making sure you do know that's not a KCquote.

Yebo. Couldn't be bothered to track down the original, so settled for making it look like yours Big Grin Hee hee...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-06-2015, 04:09 PM
(17-06-2015 04:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Just making sure you do know that's not a KCquote.

Yebo. Couldn't be bothered to track down the original, so settled for making it look like yours Big Grin Hee hee...

Don't worry, it was always going to end up like this.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-06-2015, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2015 11:19 AM by kim.)
(09-06-2015 06:50 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 06:54 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Christian just told me that my argument used too many big words so it's invalid. Priceless!

I've put up with this too on a few occasions.

Every time it's stunned me; I dun be usin' basic words for the subject, you brainless twat.

Unsure if it was my vocabulary or what but, I've been asked more than once if I was British. I shit you, not.

I didn't mean to write with such a thick accent. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post