Too many tomatoes. Spaghetti sauce from scratch?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Too many tomatoes. Spaghetti sauce from scratch?
So I have tons of tomatoes all ripening up at once in my garden and thought I might try making some spaghetti sauce from some of them.

How hard is it to make? How much better does it taste as opposed to the stuff you buy in a jar?

Anything else I can make with my tomatoes besides the sauce?

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 10:42 AM
RE: Too many tomatoes. Spaghetti sauce from scratch?
(10-08-2014 10:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I have tons of tomatoes all ripening up at once in my garden and thought I might try making some spaghetti sauce from some of them.

How hard is it to make? How much better does it taste as opposed to the stuff you buy in a jar?

Anything else I can make with my tomatoes besides the sauce?

My wife just went through this, she went online and got some ideas and made a sauce, took two days to boil it all down...and it....was....mmmm...less than yummy. It has a overly condensed, almost burnt flavor. Now, it was a learning experience, and there were times she let it go too long between stirs, but she put in tons of garlic, and fresh herbs from our garden.....I think she should have added a small bit of vinegar to it to cut it a bit, or maybe a can of regular tomato sauce...dunno, it was a learning experience for sure. The same sort of thing happened when she endeavored to make home made salsa from our garden...it looked beautiful and had all the right ingredients....and was just...bland...like a mouth full of unripe watery tomatoes...

good luck Thumbsup

Let me know how it goes. Google google google Smile

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

"You know the difference between a cult and a religion? In a cult, the guy at the top knows it is BS, and in a religion that guy is dead". Dusty.
10-08-2014, 10:52 AM
What kind of tomatoes are you using? Not every variety is good for Pasta Sauce.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Throw 'em in boiling water for a minute, take 'em out and let them cool, peel. Chop, put in zipper bags, get all the air out, freeze in small portions.

Whenever you make anything that could use some tomato ( sauces, beef, stew, soups, mixed veggies) add in at the very end, when you are about to turn the heat off or have already turned it off. Adds a zing to everything. If you add oregano, onions and garlic to it (can be powdered spices) you get an Italian flavor. If you add chilipowder to it, you get a Mexican flavor.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
10-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Can them.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-08-2014, 12:16 PM
(10-08-2014 10:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What kind of tomatoes are you using? Not every variety is good for Pasta Sauce.

They're Roma tomatoes. I planted 4 of them and now, oh my god, there are sooo many of them.

I personally like tomatoes with just salt and pepper on them but I'm trying to find some other ways to use them. I'll try the freeze bag thingy Dom mentioned.

This is a problem with living in Oregon, we have a short growing season. Everything comes in at once and in profusion.

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
10-08-2014, 12:22 PM
(10-08-2014 12:16 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 10:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What kind of tomatoes are you using? Not every variety is good for Pasta Sauce.

They're Roma tomatoes. I planted 4 of them and now, oh my god, there are sooo many of them.

I personally like tomatoes with just salt and pepper on them but I'm trying to find some other ways to use them. I'll try the freeze bag thingy Dom mentioned.

This is a problem with living in Oregon, we have a short growing season. Everything comes in at once and in profusion.

Roma work well in sauce just make sure to peel and seed them first (cut an X in the bottom of the skin and then blanch them in boiling water for an easier time peeling) Start with a good base of onions celery and carrots finely chopped then add your tomates and simmer on low for a couple of hours before adding your seasoning.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-08-2014, 12:23 PM
I would can them if they're Roma's.

You can also dry some and store in baggies...sun dried tomatoes (even those not dried in the sun) can be used many ways.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

10-08-2014, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 04:20 PM by Mathilda.)
I used to do this with cherry tomatoes grown in hanging baskets when I had a bumper crop. The pasta sauce was far better than anything you could buy in the shops. It was unbelievably rich. It took a lot of condensing down though. I used to have instructions online on how to do it but I took the website down.

All I did was cut them up with a knife first and then throw the pieces into a blender. If you thow the tomato into the blender whole then the skin comes off and doesn't get properly blended.

I added a tiny bit of black pepper or chilli, and lemon juice to add flavour and then spent a long time simmering it over a stove evaporating off the excess water then used it like a normal pasta sauce.

So when I cooked a meal I would first fry some onions, added the tomato puree, simmered it down, added in the pasta and other ingredients and then last of all added the garlic just before serving (but then I like my garlic raw, it's healthier)
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
10-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I like to try new recipes so I usually head to a site like "All Recipes". It is one of my favourites 'cause it explains cooking techniques you may not be familiar with. Blanch your tomatoes and then everything into the slow cooker! Enjoy your spaghetti dinner one night and freeze the rest of the sauce portioned out in zip lock bags. You could also just cook down the blanched tomatoes in the slow cooker, freeze, and use it as a starter base for future sauces.