Too much end times depression in east tn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Too much end times depression in east tn
In East Tennessee it seems many are just giving up on hope, family, and everything. Just listening to random conversations walking around, you hear so many people talking end times delusions. Churches are propagating the "get right with god now", "and the end is here" message more fervently than in the past two decades. Maybe, I am just ranting senselessly, but it is getting fairly depressing.

Even the believing members of my own family are sounding more frightful. Phone conversations are getting more saddening each time. I haven't officially came out as a non-believer, but from their reactions I'm sure they have their suspicions. The strength of their beliefs makes breaking their "spell" of faith a fruitless endeavor. I wish I could break them free of their delusions, but the church communities reinforce them.

“ moral virtue comesabout as a result of habit.” --Aristotle

Secular Ethos
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2015, 09:16 AM
RE: Too much end times depression in east tn
It's not your job to "break them free". Your job is to take care of YOU.

If a conversation starts going down that dark path of depressing delusion, politely stop the person and tell them: "You are depressing to speak with and this conversation is over."

Nothing more needs to be discussed. If someone insists you explain, tell them you don't like being around negative people and you refuse to jeopardize your own mental health just for the sake of politely "keeping company".

Or just tell them to fuck off. Drinking Beverage In a nice way.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
22-06-2015, 09:34 AM
(22-06-2015 09:16 AM)kim Wrote:  It's not your job to "break them free". Your job is to take care of YOU.

If a conversation starts going down that dark path of depressing delusion, politely stop the person and tell them: "You are depressing to speak with and this conversation is over."

Nothing more needs to be discussed. If someone insists you explain, tell them you don't like being around negative people and you refuse to jeopardize your own mental health just for the sake of politely "keeping company".

Or just tell them to fuck off. Drinking Beverage In a nice way.

You're definitely correct, I suffer from an overabundance of "give a damn". I've got my immediate family to worry about. Being full time dad, leaves no room for the eschatological "depressors" of the extended family.

Secular Ethos
[+] 1 user Likes jthiret's post
22-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Tell them gays are getting married and to suck it up.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
22-06-2015, 09:44 AM
The irony is that if enough people jump on the end times boat, they could actually trigger 'end times'-like events. I don't mean the rapture or any nonsense like that but we have seen the lack of caring, in say climate change, etc. Not claiming that correlation equals causation but pause should be taken to assess more carefully. Eschatology impacts your worldview, worldview impacts your behavior, and behavior determines the future.

The things people believe drive behavior in the here-and-now, and our behavior in the here-and-now has great bearing on future events.

For example:
If I choose to believe that I am unlovable, eventually I will assimilate to that core belief and start behaving in accordance with it– I will start behaving as someone who isn’t easy to love, and end up alienated in relationships. Or If I believe that a certain situation will never work out the way I would like, eventually I will start behaving as if the situation has already failed.

If xtians believe the world is getting progressively worse until the end comes, they will be a people who start behaving that way. If they start behaving that way, they will stop investing into long-term multi-generational ways to improve society. (Many already have subconsciously) If they stop investing into the future and capitulate to their own crappy theology, well…you get the drift.

Conclusion: *sigh* Stomp that shit out.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 5 users Like Tonechaser77's post
22-06-2015, 10:23 AM
(22-06-2015 09:44 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  ... Eschatology impacts your worldview, worldview impacts your behavior, and behavior determines the future..

I've seen these effects in everything my family does lately. Half my family thinks CERN is summoning Shiva, and the other half are becoming doomsday preppers. Needless to say, I haven't been to any family dinners lately.

Secular Ethos
[+] 2 users Like jthiret's post
22-06-2015, 10:27 AM
"The End is Nigh" --- the battle cry of people with overactive imagination and a profound lack of logic.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-06-2015, 10:31 AM
(22-06-2015 09:03 AM)jthiret Wrote:  In East Tennessee it seems many are just giving up on hope, family, and everything. Just listening to random conversations walking around, you hear so many people talking end times delusions. Churches are propagating the "get right with god now", "and the end is here" message more fervently than in the past two decades. Maybe, I am just ranting senselessly, but it is getting fairly depressing.

Even the believing members of my own family are sounding more frightful. Phone conversations are getting more saddening each time. I haven't officially came out as a non-believer, but from their reactions I'm sure they have their suspicions. The strength of their beliefs makes breaking their "spell" of faith a fruitless endeavor. I wish I could break them free of their delusions, but the church communities reinforce them.

Conservative news reigns supreme in Tennessee. Obama has been coming to take their guns and to throw them into nazi style death camps for years. In their minds, everything that they hold dear has slipped away in the last few decades as they no longer have the ability to use their religion to limit what other people can do. For them, that is a sign of the "end times" when it is really the end of the religious monopoly.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
22-06-2015, 10:34 AM
(22-06-2015 10:23 AM)jthiret Wrote:  ... Half my family thinks CERN is summoning Shiva ...

That's NOT what it's for? "Consolidated Evil Reinforcement Nwaahahahaha". All that science mumbo jumbo is very precisely calibrated incantation you know.
22-06-2015, 10:38 AM
CERN is summoning Cthulhu (Cthulhu Emergency Resurrection Now)

NASA has been summoning Shiva for years (Never Accept Shiva's Absence)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post