Too serious

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Too serious
So, I was lurking around the forums and it reminded me of a friend of mine. You see, this friend, we'll call her K, is a hardcore feminist. Now, I consider myself a feminist as well, there is no reason we shouldn't have gender equality yet in the 21st century. However, I find she takes everything far too serious. Whenever I am out with friends and she is around we do our best to steer clear of sexist jokes, but recently I decided to disregard this and busted one out. Everyone laughed, except K of course. She was quick to rebuke me and I gave her a little speech.

Basically I told her that taking yourself too seriously then you end up reducing the status of your movement. Hardcore feminists are widely hated, they're the type that seem to detract from the effectiveness of the feminist movement. If she could just learn to laugh when it's a joke and be angry when someone seriously means their sexism she wouldn't be viewed as such a tight ass...

So, I thought that might apply here. You see, I was reading Martin's recent thread concerning science and I find that both sides are taking themselves a little too seriously. I mean, I have a few Christian friends and they go to church and take their beliefs seriously but they're cool with mine and we joke around all the time. If they were hardcore Christians who bothered me about my beliefs then we probably wouldn't be friends at all...

What do you think? Do you think taking something too seriously detracts from the movement or ideology?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
RE: Too serious
Not really. Perhaps if you take things to the level of epic serious when it is unwarranted, but martin makes his accusations entirely seriously. I see no reason that we should be flippant in responding to him.

However, I'm not above joking around when I'm not in a debate, so...

[Image: Hamster-Video-Game-Maze.jpg]

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:What do you think? Do you think taking something too seriously detracts from the movement or ideology?

No, I don't think so, although there are ways to take something too seriously that can be annoying, and other ways to take something seriously 'enough' that would pass as 'militant' but not overbearing.

I'm with Unbeliever on this one...martin has gone over the edge on a number of items (especially with accusations aimed at users on this forum) that merit our equally strong response.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM

I have never made a comment on a joke, there was a thread about jokes and I never made a comment, I even laughed. But the topics we are talking about are by nature, serious. The bottom line is, I am to best of my opinion, the only theist on this site. So that everyone on here thinks that I am certain way doesn't really bother me.
13-04-2010, 12:30 AM
(12-04-2010 10:22 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  I have never made a comment on a joke, there was a thread about jokes and I never made a comment, I even laughed. But the topics we are talking about are by nature, serious. The bottom line is, I am to best of my opinion, the only theist on this site. So that everyone on here thinks that I am certain way doesn't really bother me.

I didn't mean for my post to be directed at anyone in particular. And I'm aware that the majority of the discussions are serious, I just don't tend to take things as seriously as most people do, I suppose.

Also, on that last line you wrote, to be fair, it seems to me like you think of all the atheists around here (i.e. all of us) in a certain way... Everyone tends to function that way.

13-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Thread requires moar funnay.

[Image: royal-fail.jpg]

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2010, 07:19 AM
hmmm, as long it is just a joke i think it´s ok. If he makes a joke to ambarasse somebody, it´s not ok. I think it´s really simple^^

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
13-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Your delivery of funnay has arrived

[Image: 1253724446423.gif]

13-04-2010, 03:53 PM

I hate being serious, but I also know when to stop joking around. I think it's all about not crossing the line, although people do get too serious sometimes...
BTW, really funny comic! xD
13-04-2010, 07:05 PM
[Image: FailFailatFailingBlueScreen.jpg]

This might actually depress some.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!