Tool use in animals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Tool use in animals
Incredible Octopus Behavior Nearly Caused Scientist To Drown From Laughing

[Image: 640x364.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Chas's post
12-06-2015, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 11:39 PM by ClydeLee.)
RE: Tool use in animals
It wants to know what it sounds like to ride a horse eh?

Tool use is around us all below and above.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
12-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Octopus and crow/raven are some of my favourite! I have a few crows and magpies in my backyard. they got rid of my dew worm problem but now they are stealing my strawberries from the plants I just bought. I want to tame them. I haven't even begun looking at how plausible this is (too much GOT right now, I think this may be normal ha ha). I'm also considering a messenger pigeon. Pretty sure both might be illegal but it can be my back yard secret. I have huge coniferous trees at the end of my lot, they love it there and I love them.

I'd also love a pet octopus but I live inland. Tongue
13-06-2015, 07:22 AM
(12-06-2015 11:22 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Octopus and crow/raven are some of my favourite! I have a few crows and magpies in my backyard. they got rid of my dew worm problem but now they are stealing my strawberries from the plants I just bought. I want to tame them. I haven't even begun looking at how plausible this is (too much GOT right now, I think this may be normal ha ha). I'm also considering a messenger pigeon. Pretty sure both might be illegal but it can be my back yard secret. I have huge coniferous trees at the end of my lot, they love it there and I love them.

I'd also love a pet octopus but I live inland. Tongue

Feed them at the exact same time every day, leave the food out for like 15 or 20 minutes, then remove until the next day. Once they are on schedule, you can slowly stand closer and closer as they eat. Eventually you can feed them by hand.

Try not to stare at them at first, let your eyes wander a bit. They will invite eye contact eventually.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
13-06-2015, 07:47 AM
And at the same time -- I've observed humans that don't know which is the working end of a hammer.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-06-2015, 08:29 AM
Wow! The more I learn about Octopi, the more I love them - they're so damn goofy. It's almost as if they are so highly evolved, they find it trying to live in such a simplistic world. Like a savant who can work intricate calculations but can't be bothered to learn to tie his shoes. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-06-2015, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2015 09:34 AM by Anjele.)
Not exactly tool use, but it was interesting to watch -
We have a mesquite tree in the back of our yard. Last weekend I saw a mockingbird flying from the tree to a tree in the neighbor's yard and back again, so I stopped and watched. She/he was grabbing onto twigs about 3 or 4 inches long and was bending them back and forth till they broke away. The twigs would fall to the ground below and she would swoop down and pick them up and fly off to the other tree. In a few minutes she would return for another one. Obviously building a nest.

Most birds I see pick up random things from the ground. This bird was on a mission to get one specific building material.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-06-2015, 09:38 AM
(13-06-2015 08:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Not exactly tool use, but it was interesting to watch -
We have a mesquite tree in the back of our yard. Last weekend I saw a mockingbird flying from the tree to a tree in the neighbors yard and back again, so I stopped and watched. She/he was grabbing onto twigs about 3 or 4 inches long and was bending them back and forth till they broke away. The twigs would fall to the ground below and she would swoop down and pick them up and fly off to the other tree. In a few minutes she would return for another one. Obviously building a nest.

Most birds I see pick up random things from the ground. This bird was on a mission to get one specific building material.

Cool, interesting observation, Anje! I wonder how things will turn out for that bird...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Relevant?

Bonus: here is a picture of Kanzi the bonobo roasting a marshmellow.
[Image: meet-the-fascinating-food-cooking-chimpanzee-9.jpg]

... this is my signature!
13-06-2015, 10:43 AM
(13-06-2015 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Relevant?

Bonus: here is a picture of Kanzi the bonobo roasting a marshmellow.
[Image: meet-the-fascinating-food-cooking-chimpanzee-9.jpg]

I'm not seeing no bonobo...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.