Tool use in animals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2015, 12:51 PM
RE: Tool use in animals
(13-06-2015 10:43 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Relevant?

Bonus: here is a picture of Kanzi the bonobo roasting a marshmellow.
[Image: meet-the-fascinating-food-cooking-chimpanzee-9.jpg]

I'm not seeing no bonobo...

Oh no! No bonobo! Ohmy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-06-2015, 12:57 PM
The title alone made me laugh.

I love this.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
13-06-2015, 04:32 PM
There is a super interesting video about birds using tools here:

http://content.time.com/time/video/playe...77,00.html

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-06-2015, 07:36 PM
(13-06-2015 12:57 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  The title alone made me laugh.

I love this.

Now, now, young lady. I'll have you know tool use in animals is serious business.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-06-2015, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2015 09:56 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(13-06-2015 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Relevant?

Not so much. There has been some backlash from the scientific community at large. All it shows is that chimps like cooked potatoes. Potatoes are not a part of their diet in the wild and they get along just fine without cooking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2015, 10:59 AM
(13-06-2015 07:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And at the same time -- I've observed humans that don't know which is the working end of a hammer.....

Who on earth would make such a mistake? There's a handy metal handle at one end and a wooden bit for poking at the other.

By the way, if you're looking for someone to do repairs at your place, I'm available for hire.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
14-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Humans
</Thread>

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
14-06-2015, 04:20 PM
(13-06-2015 07:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 11:22 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Octopus and crow/raven are some of my favourite! I have a few crows and magpies in my backyard. they got rid of my dew worm problem but now they are stealing my strawberries from the plants I just bought. I want to tame them. I haven't even begun looking at how plausible this is (too much GOT right now, I think this may be normal ha ha). I'm also considering a messenger pigeon. Pretty sure both might be illegal but it can be my back yard secret. I have huge coniferous trees at the end of my lot, they love it there and I love them.

I'd also love a pet octopus but I live inland. Tongue

Feed them at the exact same time every day, leave the food out for like 15 or 20 minutes, then remove until the next day. Once they are on schedule, you can slowly stand closer and closer as they eat. Eventually you can feed them by hand.

Try not to stare at them at first, let your eyes wander a bit. They will invite eye contact eventually.

Thank you sensei! I will try my best.

Now, what to feed them?

I have read of a girl doing this and the crows eventually left her presents (usually shiny objects they found).
14-06-2015, 05:47 PM
(14-06-2015 04:20 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 07:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  Feed them at the exact same time every day, leave the food out for like 15 or 20 minutes, then remove until the next day. Once they are on schedule, you can slowly stand closer and closer as they eat. Eventually you can feed them by hand.

Try not to stare at them at first, let your eyes wander a bit. They will invite eye contact eventually.

Thank you sensei! I will try my best.

Now, what to feed them?

I have read of a girl doing this and the crows eventually left her presents (usually shiny objects they found).

The crows around here like peanuts best it seems... did you look at the link I posted a few posts back? It's about some very smart cousins of the crow... they are smart!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-06-2015, 05:26 AM
(14-06-2015 10:59 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 07:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And at the same time -- I've observed humans that don't know which is the working end of a hammer.....

Who on earth would make such a mistake? There's a handy metal handle at one end and a wooden bit for poking at the other.

By the way, if you're looking for someone to do repairs at your place, I'm available for hire.
True story --- I dated a woman for a short while -- who did not know the difference between a standard and phillips screwdriver.

And -- I asked her to hand me a 1/2 inch wrench -- and she couldn't tell which one that was..........

Her occupation? High school teacher.

That's when I realized that we're doomed as a race..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.