Toot your own horn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2011, 08:31 PM
RE: Toot your own horn
- I have a college degree, a law degree and a Masters degree
- for the Masters degree, I commuted from just outside New York City to just outside London AND managed to stay married for the 20 months it took to complete the degree
- Like Dregs, I married the love of my life - married over 13 years and together for 15, and managed to procreate and have 2 sons.
- I have no idea what my IQ is and don't really care to know. I think knowing is only going to hurt my self image because I'm pretty sure the test will tell me I'm an idiot
- I've been a homeowner for 11 years, 2 in this new house
- in January of 2008 my wife and I decided to pack up our house and our life, sell our house and leave everyone and everything we knew and move 70 miles away to a new area solely because we were so incensed over our tax bill. For all of you who talk about doing something extreme over taxes, top that one! I still commute to New York but my commute went from 45 each way to 2 hours. Fortunately, I can work from home a lot.
- Early in my legal career, I represented a member of the Gambino crime family in a real estate transaction. My part in the representation lasted less than 1 day, about 2 hours, but 16+ years later I still count it. Yous gotta problem wit dat?
- I've been on 5 of the 7 continents and probably 25 countries in my life, and plan to hit more.

Otherwise, I'm pretty boring compared to some of you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2011, 08:56 PM
(21-02-2011 07:09 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  @No J. what bands have you been in?

The Dave Weber Band, Shade, Tombstone, Genocide, plus a few other projects. I recorded with The Dave Weber Band and Genocide. I think the names Tombstone and Genocide have been used by other bands. They never made it past local levels.

The Dave Weber Band is the one that did the most gigs and touring. I googled Dave Weber and could only find a site with his present band Web. That line-up sounds different than what I was involved with. There is a snippet of one of the songs I recorded with Dave. The "Web" version of the that song sounds very different than the original "Dave Weber Band" version I recorded on.

There is another musician named Dave Weber who has a site on the net, too.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
21-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Agh, I hate doing this kind of stuff, but here goes:

-I have a second-degree black belt in Wado Karate
-I have helped teach karate classes for 4-5 years, participated in grading panels when students try for their next belt, and have helped out at karate tournaments and demonstrations
-I have won medals in kata (forms) in karate tournaments
-I can do the front splits, and can kick much higher than my head Tongue
-I have gotten mostly A's in school
-I have been on the Dean's Honour List every semester that I've been in university (with a five-course load each semester)
-I am finishing up my 3rd year of a BA Honours Degree
-My current GPA is a 3.9 (out of 4.0)
-One of my professors emailed me after her course to let me know that I was the top student in her class - when I was in my first year of university
-I learned to drive in a standard, and I consider passing my driver's licence test an accomplishment because I parallel-parked my dad's full-length truck in icy-snowy conditions Tongue
-I've had my artwork displayed in local art shows
-I've managed to pay for my own education so far without any student loans (government or parental)
-I can read Middle English
-I have been in a loving, healthy relationship with my partner for about 6 years that has survived through tons of long-distance (thanks to the army)

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
21-02-2011, 10:26 PM
I suck at this. In fact, I hate it, so I am gonna post some weird bullshit stuff.

I'm a damn good speller.
I have a large vocabulary and like to use 5 dollar words.
I can put an IV catheter in anything.
I can take really good X-rays.
I too can drive a stick, and I'm a girl. Tongue
I once owned a 1968 Cadillac convertible.
I got pulled over once by two cops for passing an ambulance with its lights on. I wasn't wearing pants.
I've been through the United States Customs and Immigration process and lived. (so far)
I'm a pretty good cook.
The cat at work thinks the sun rises and sets with me.
I can say "cat puke" in German.
I am told I look much younger than I really am.
I moved from New York to Texas all by myself to marry a man I had met online and known for 6 weeks. It was well worth it, he is most awesome and excellent and stuff.
I can put on a pillowcase in record time.
I have my father's sensitivity and my mother's foot in mouth problem. Wink
I have issues with authority, if I don't feel that authority is worthy of my respect.
I spent a lot of my grade school days standing in the hall for screwing around.
I've heard "you're not living up to your potential" more times than I can count.
I really enjoy thinking for myself.

That's all I can think of right now.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
21-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Fine, let's see.

I learned to drive on a white VW Golf II, and I'm now driving a white VW Golf III.
I got pulled over once for doing a hundred mph in a 65, no valid license and got away with a warning.
I've learned how to shoot and strip full auto AKs when I was 15.
I can speak German and English fluently and forgot most of the Russian I learned once.
Sometimes I steal dogs from people not deserving them and find them a new home.
I helped taking down the Berlin Wall.
My first computer could display 16 colors, two of them at the same time.
My favorite books as a kid were the encyclopedia, and the awesome one with the many color prints of fishes.
Polar bears suck.
I build web sites, and computers, and fix them when they're feeling upset. Currently working on getting an actual degree in that.
I somehow managed to get married to the most wonderful and amazing wife anybody could dream of.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
21-02-2011, 11:46 PM
K, I'll give it a go.

-I made a decision to follow my dream, and within two years my wife and I moved from the inner city to a 160 acre farm, and homesteaded it from nothing but a grain field.
-I can McGyver just about anything as long as I have a hammer, a two-by-four, some duct tape and a can of WD40.
-I once trained a dog to go to the fridge, get a can of beer, close the fridge behind her, bring the beer to the living room, and put it down on a coaster. All with one command - "beer". (Plus, if it was upside-down, I'd tell her so and she'd flip it)
-I can start a fire with no modern technology.
-I have a 14 year old daughter who doesn't think I am a complete moron (We'll see how much longer that lasts)
-I can grow ANYTHING.
-I have diabetes and severe arthritis, and I'm still one of the healthiest people I know.
-Once I had sex with a beautiful redhead, inside a sleeping bag nailed to the top of a semi-trailer doing 100km/h driving through Rogers Pass in the Canadian Rockies.
-I make a kick-ass cup of coffee
-I saved a strangers life by giving him CPR.
-I keep my fingernails trimmed at all times.
-I am very good at learning from my mistakes. (and I make A LOT of them!)
-I've been bitten by a crocodile (talk about learning from your mistakes!)
-When I think about where my life has taken me, 95% of the time it makes me smile.
-I can disagree with people, and still like and respect them.
-My dad thinks I look good with a mohawk.
-My wife and children genuinely think I am a good person, and love me very much.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-02-2011, 11:15 AM

I love this thread. There are so many intelligent and talented people here!

- Like most who posted, I scored high on IQ tests and excelled in academics.
- I am an artist, and though I've never attempted to sell a painting, I have sold my own cold-forged jewelry (my webstore is currently on hiatus).
- I have what my cardiologist calls "a most unusual heart". Nearly 7 years ago, I underwent an open-heart surgery that made medical textbooks, something I hope has and will help many others in the future.
- I am a kind person and behave accordingly, without hope for reward or fear of punishment. When someone asks for my prayers, I instead offer a helping hand.
- I am a poet, yet a struggling one since I am learning a new language--the language of reason.
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Fun thread!

Hmmm...

- In third grade while we learned cursive writing, mine was so good I was the only one allowed to actively write in cursive.
- I made the All-Star team twice in my 9 year Little League Baseball career.
- I won the award for Sportsmanship 3 or 4 years, and did not take it as a consolation prize.
- In 10 seasons of playing baseball (including a Fall season), I played in every single position except 1st Base (not tall enough).
- I graduated High School with Honors.
- I was the first person in my entire family to earn a higher degree (Associates Degree in Visual Communcations). Shoutout to my brother who was the first to earn a Bachelors.
- I am a pretty good dad.

There's probably more, because I do enjoy tooting my own horn, but that's all for now. Smile

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
22-02-2011, 11:46 AM

I've never seen the movie Titanic!

BTW too much cool shit in this thread to comment on anything specific!
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 11:49 AM
(22-02-2011 11:46 AM)Dregs Wrote:  I've never seen the movie Titanic!

Me neither! At least not all of it.

(22-02-2011 11:46 AM)Dregs Wrote:  BTW too much cool shit in this thread to comment on anything specific!
Agreed. Except this:

Stark Raving Wrote:-Once I had sex with a beautiful redhead, inside a sleeping bag nailed to the top of a semi-trailer doing 100km/h driving through Rogers Pass in the Canadian Rockies.

You sir, are my new hero. You magnificent bastard.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.