Top 5 favorite TV shows and why

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
08-03-2013, 06:40 AM
RE: Top 5 favorite TV shows and why
VIKINGS!

Finally, a good new show about Vikings and their plundering. Ragnar and his crew. Hell yeah!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 06:46 AM
1. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

2. Dragon Ball

3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

4. One Piece

5. FMA: Brotherhood

[Image: opforum1.png]
14-03-2013, 07:32 PM
All of these are Anime (call me a nerd if need be)

1. Naoki Urasawa's Monster
a psychological thriller following a doctor's journey to kill a serial killer that he saved when he was a child
2. Baccano!
a great bombastic show about 1930's america, with three simultaneous story-lines somehow having to do with each other.
3. Gankutsuou The Count of Monte Cristo
[font=Verdana, Arial]an anime loosely based on the novel by [/font]Alexandre Dumas
4. Trigun
[font=Verdana, Arial]a space west[/font]ern about a pacifist gunslinger, with a bit of pro religious symbolism which i don't care for

5. Cowboy Bebop
[font=Verdana, Arial]a story about intergalactic bounty hunters. [/font]
[+] 1 user Likes akraus's post
15-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

There ain't nuttin' better than Buffy. It's not even possible. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-03-2013, 06:42 AM
(15-03-2013 04:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

What about Buffy with a guest appearance by Gwyneth Paltrow?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-03-2013, 07:52 AM
(15-03-2013 06:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-03-2013 04:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

What about Buffy with a guest appearance by Gwyneth Paltrow?
Like Glee? Those coupla episodes made me gleeful. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Glee returned from hiatus last night with a new episode called “A Night of Neglect.” It was an all-kvetching spectacular dedicated to—what else?—victimhood, a theme in which this series seems to marinate all too frequently. The problem is that self-identifying victims, just like the real complainers in your life, quickly cease to be compelling. In fact, they can become downright annoying! But not to the writers of Glee, who manage to find a different whiny character to nail to the cross every week.

And oh, how they resurrected their victims this time! Back was Gwyneth Paltrow as substitute teacher and Mr. Schue love-interest Holly Holiday. I think it’s important to mention here that Paltrow's appearances on Glee (this marks her third) have given the actress an image-rehabilitating career boost, in much the same way American Idol has for Jennifer Lopez. Sure, we used to find them both icy and unrelateable—but just look how cute they are! Look how well they get along with young, photogenic singers! It’s like we’ve fallen in love with them all over again. So why Paltrow would choose to squander her renewed reputation on a self-pitying speech about her internet haters is beyond me. Let’s take a look at exactly what Gwyneth/Holly said, in the scene in which she told a group of hecklers how cowardly and ultimately destructive it is to say mean things online:

I get it. We live in a culture of insults. I mean, we're constantly bombarded with these images of people who are richer than us and happier than us, and have more interesting sex than us, and it makes us feel terrible. You know, we tear them down to feel better about ourselves, but we don't just stop with the people who are on TV and magazines, we do it to everyone, and we think because it's done anonymously there are no ramifications. But there are ramifications, guys, because it makes you comfortable with insensitivity.

Let’s start with this notion of being bombarded with images of people “richer than us and happier than us, and [who] have more interesting sex than us.” I assume she means herself? She’s definitely richer. No doubt about that. The sex thing, who knows? Maybe she has a set of gymnastics rings installed above her bed. The happy thing, however, I’m a little skeptical about. Anyone who has to so aggressively sell themselves to the mass media as a natural-born country singer, when it’s pretty obvious she is anything but a natural-born country singer, is probably harboring some deep and unfillable voids, self-esteem-wise.

Next, this idea of “tearing them down to feel better about ourselves.” Look, Gwyneth, I actually like you. I do. I’m not one of the haters. But I think I can speak for the haters when I say that I’m pretty certain they aren’t tearing you down to feel better about themselves. They are tearing you down because you repeatedly keep asking to be torn down. Everything from your lifestyles website GOOP to your choice in baby names to your patronizing remarks about European superiority to (yes, I’ll mention it again) your completely unearned country music career just begs to be mocked relentlessly and mercilessly by the public. And trust me: This still would have happened in the days before the internet—you just wouldn’t have been able to hear all the laughter. Consider it a convenience of the modern age.

Am I being too hard on Gwyneth? Did her speech move you at all? Do you agree with her contention that we live in “a culture of insults?” It’s time for you to weigh in.

Do you hate me now, Johnny? Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
15-03-2013, 08:04 AM
(15-03-2013 07:57 AM)Vera Wrote:  Do you hate me now, Johnny? Drinking Beverage

There's a third one? Blink

15-03-2013, 08:13 AM
I've been around since the Zenith 12" black and white TV with "rabbit ears" for an antenna and first two then three channels was "in vogue" and had a devil of a time competing with Radio.
I had favorite show when I was a kid (The Lone Ranger, Howdy Duty, Uncle Johnny Coons, and Soupy Sales); I had favorite shows as a teen (I Dream of Genie, Ed Sullivan, anything sports, watching the likes of Carmen Bascillio (boxing) with my dad and eating popcorn); then in my early adult years, tastes changed yet again - but I didn't do much watching of TV - just shows like Benny Hill, Ed Sullivan, Laugh-In, and The Twilight Zone. Now...at my advanced age, I have few if any "favorites"...when I view, I channle hop, but will stick on TCM if the movie is pre-1950, The Big Bang Theory (even at my very advanced age, Penney is HOT), MythBusters, the Military Channel (if I like the presentation), and Antiques Roadshow (both US and British versions).
I refuse to watch any and all news channels....they all suck.
And I listen to a lot of "my kind of music" on my PC or the radio.
Anybody know where I can download free music?

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
15-03-2013, 08:14 AM
(15-03-2013 08:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There's a third one? Blink
Yes, and its house was made of bricks.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."