Top Ten Books and Series

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Top Ten Books and Series
What do you consider to be the ten greatest books and/or series of all time? They don't necessarily have to be your favorites, just good literature. As an illustration of what I mean, I don't consider The Magnificent Seven to be a particularly great movie, but it's one of my favorites to watch because it's fun, whereas I consider The Prestige to be a great movie, but it isn't one of my favorites to watch because it's so heavy.

My list:

1. Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. A science-fiction novel concerning a far-future colony on a planet under the thrall of a group of people who have modeled themselves on the Hindu pantheon, and the uprising that the new Buddha leads against them.

2. 1984 by George Orwell. Brave New World may be more realistic, but 1984 is a much better book overall.

3. Flowers For Algernon. The biggest tear-jerker that I have ever read. Or seen. No movie ever beat it. I bawled like a baby for hours after finishing it, and I still can't stand to hear anybody say the last line.

4. To Kill A Mockingbird. One of two required-reading books from my high-school days that I actually enjoyed. Most of the books that they assigned to us were garbage, but this book is a true classic.

5. Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. Both are much more than run-of-the-mill science fiction. They contain brilliant social commentary and thoughts on morality and humanity.

6. The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Pratchett is much more than a satirist or a fantasy author. He's a philosopher of the highest order, and he does it so well that it seems perfectly natural that characters who, just a page previously, were getting involved in slapstick antics are now having a surprisingly in-depth discussion on what it means to be human.

7. Treasure Island. This was the book that made me love reading. It was the first serious novel that I ever read, and to this day I have not found an adventure story that pulled me along and made me feel that excited.

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The other required-reading book from high school that I absolutely adored. This is a fantastic novel. I actually went out and bought my own copy after finishing it so that I could read it again and again.

9. Slaughterhouse Five. Poetry in motion.

10. The Call of Cthulhu. While, strictly speaking, this is not a novel, I think "novella" is close enough. And no one had a greater influence on American horror literature than H. P. Lovecraft, except, maybe, Poe. Everyone should read this at some point in their lives.

So what about you? What do you consider to be the greatest - if not the most fun - novels ever written?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Top Ten Books and Series - Unbeliever - 17-11-2010 03:47 PM
RE: Top Ten Books and Series - Unbeliever - 17-11-2010, 04:50 PM
RE: Top Ten Books and Series - tjenkins_1983 - 17-11-2010, 07:22 PM
RE: Top Ten Books and Series - No J. - 18-11-2010, 01:42 AM
RE: Top Ten Books and Series - Dregs - 18-11-2010, 07:22 AM
RE: Top Ten Books and Series - Observer - 30-12-2010, 11:48 AM
RE: Top Ten Books and Series - Dregs - 18-02-2011, 02:42 PM