Top Ten Delicacies for Westerners Recommended by Chinese Chefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2013, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2013 04:58 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
Heart Top Ten Delicacies for Westerners Recommended by Chinese Chefs
Number 10: Cashew Shrimp

[Image: 1103090224.jpg]

Number 9: Chao Mian (Chow Mein, or fried noodles)

[Image: Mypsd_30869_201108181232350004B.jpg]

Number 8: Beijing (Peking) Roast Duck

[Image: OOOPIC_287081672_200903313f7b6cac1c0a7dd2.jpg]

Number 7: Hun Tun (Won Ton)

[Image: DSC_0004.jpg]

Number 6: Jiao Zi (Dumpling, or Chinese Meat Ravioli)

[Image: 1913971_083559341431_2.jpg]

Number 5: Ma Po Bean Curd

[Image: 13291786024f39a7eaa5ca7.jpg]

Number 4: Dan Chao Fan (Fried Rice with Egg)

[Image: 20121021104826852.jpg]

Number 3: Chun Juan (Spring Roll)

[Image: %E6%98%A5%E5%8D%B7.jpg]

Number 2: Gongbao Chicken (Kungpao Chicken)

[Image: 01300000417482127365931530761.jpg]

Number 1: Sweet and Sour Pork

[Image: 222202s7cv9e1qe1bnntgz.jpg]

DroolingI am HUNGRY now.Drooling

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: Top Ten Delicacies for Westerners Recommended by Chinese Chefs
Personally I'm fine with jiaozi and some soy sauce and chile oil to dip in. Maybe a bit of tofu on the side, some cabbage, some hong cha. Whatever.

Most of these are available at any US Chinese take-out restaurant.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
28-03-2013, 10:37 PM
(28-03-2013 07:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Personally I'm fine with jiaozi and some soy sauce and chile oil to dip in. Maybe a bit of tofu on the side, some cabbage, some hong cha. Whatever.

Most of these are available at any US Chinese take-out restaurant.

Maybe you can print this thread out, show it to the restaurant guy, and try other dishes when you feel like them.

This list also received a good reputation among many U.S. gourmets.

28-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Yup, most of those are standard fare in most Chinatowns in most cities.

That said, I haven't found a good Kungpao Chicken in Singapore yet and the best Peking Duck I have ever had was in a rather swanky restaurant in Beijing.

One thing I miss from my time in England is Crispy Aromatic Duck (roll-your-own - style). I can't find it here.

Now I think of it, the Crispy Aromatic Lamb I had once in Beijing was orgasmic.

Junyuan, could you please email some Aromatic Lamb? I would be in your debt.

Cheers

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-03-2013, 04:36 AM
I work in an area that is popular with Chinese immigrants, so many Chinatown-style restaurants. At a celebratory lunch a recent immigrant from Germany at my office refused to eat anything other than satay chicken skewers. Wouldn't even touch the steamed pork buns.

I've enjoyed many foods in China but I can't name much of what I ate, nor can I really tell you what was in much of it...

Be brave: Tell us about Chinese foods you like that are not so suitable for westerners, maybe in another thread? Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
30-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Hu Xiansheng,

I think you may be underestimating the level of sophistication in the west regarding Chinese cuisine, especially in the large cities with major populations of "Overseas Chinese" (huaqiao). In Los Angeles, for example, we don't just have generic Chinese restaurants––we also have restaurants specializing in Cantonese (Guangdong) cuisine, Sichuan cuisine, Hunan cuisine, dim sum (dian xin), Islamic Chinese food . . . etc.

I know it wasn't intended that way, but it's a bit patronizing to tell people, "Here are some of our foods that might be suitable for you." Many of us are way beyond Sweet and Sour Pork. It would be a lot more interesting to hear what you yourself enjoy the most in your cuisine. What three or four dishes, for example, would you miss the most if you were traveling in a place where they weren't available?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
30-03-2013, 02:40 AM
(30-03-2013 01:10 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Hu Xiansheng,

I think you may be underestimating the level of sophistication in the west regarding Chinese cuisine, especially in the large cities with major populations of "Overseas Chinese" (huaqiao). In Los Angeles, for example, we don't just have generic Chinese restaurants––we also have restaurants specializing in Cantonese (Guangdong) cuisine, Sichuan cuisine, Hunan cuisine, dim sum (dian xin), Islamic Chinese food . . . etc.

I know it wasn't intended that way, but it's a bit patronizing to tell people, "Here are some of our foods that might be suitable for you." Many of us are way beyond Sweet and Sour Pork. It would be a lot more interesting to hear what you yourself enjoy the most in your cuisine. What three or four dishes, for example, would you miss the most if you were traveling in a place where they weren't available?

Understood.

31-03-2013, 07:48 PM
I never know what is actual Chinese food and what is Western "Chinese style" food. I know most of the Indian dishes we get in England were invented in England but I'm not sure how wide the practice is with Chinese food.

Do you have salt and pepper ribs, and salt and pepper squid, in China? I adore them both!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
31-03-2013, 10:45 PM
(31-03-2013 07:48 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I never know what is actual Chinese food and what is Western "Chinese style" food. I know most of the Indian dishes we get in England were invented in England but I'm not sure how wide the practice is with Chinese food.

Do you have salt and pepper ribs, and salt and pepper squid, in China? I adore them both!

Yes we do.

[Image: 29143_142_1128635566.jpg]

[Image: p.aspx?u=v20_p13_photo_1304011246027882_0.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post