Top Ten Most Overrated Films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2011, 03:06 PM
RE: Top Ten Most Overrated Films
I love Casablanca and Singin' in the Rain. Generationally, I feel the disconnect, but I am able to separate myself from the now and place myself in the then and appreciate the artistry and craft.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2011, 12:27 PM
"Plus Jason Bateman wears the greatest shirt ever made (and impossible to find) ...the Soundgarden "Superunknown" shirt... and Jennifer Garner calls it a stupid shirt. That did it for me"-Buddy Christ

Hahaha I had the same feeling. Although I like the movie alright. Overrated for sure. Also agree with most of your underrated list.
I also like a lot of the classics. Not Casablanca however... too long.
Top ten overrated movies by Lucradis:
Avatar: Sucks. This is an awful movie, just really hard to watch and I'm sick of CG, as well as 3D, I can't see it ok, it just gives me a fucking headache.
Forrest Gump: Brutal. Another movie that is hard to watch. Plus other than a few lucky movies (Big, Terminal, Splash, Joe VS The Volcano, Saving Private Ryan) I hate Tom Hanks.
Citizen Kane: Also just one long run on sentence of boring. Pointless stories make me mad.
Taxi Driver: I like De niro, I do, I really do. His older movies are great and his middle movies are great... his newer movies suck, but Taxi Driver is bad. I own it for some reason? I do not like this movie.
The Dark Night: This movie was alright, but you could tell that they fucked up right about the time they made two face. This was a Joker movie (Heaths performance was average, but because he died people blew it out of proportion).
Star Wars: Pick one. I used to like the original three, but then I went back to watch them as an adult and found them really just average. The prequels are awful.
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: Love the books, can only stand the first movie. Peter Jackson has only made one really great movie and it is Braindead. Or Dead Alive depending on where you live.
Leon: The Professional: Watchable but creepy. Also remember the first scene? Badass. He is the greatest assassin ever. But then he gets snuck up on by some regular cop????? Lame.
To Kill A Mockingbird: I really do like some things about this movie, plus the new DVD has cool packaging, but the movie just doesn't hold up over time. I mean todays standard of lawyer is way higher.
Pan's Labyrinth: I hate this movie, even though it has a couple really nice scenes and one gross one with a face and a bottle. Otherwise it is badly directed.

Underrated? Idiocracy, Stir Of Echoes, Amelie, Cube, Dark City, Other movies?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2011, 04:31 PM
There are two movies that everyone told me were great and that I HAD to watch them (I am sure there were more than that but these are the two that made me want to sever my own head). The first is Napoleon Dynamite. That is nothing but endless stupidity for the sake of stupidity that is not funny...at ALL!!!! I like dumb movies like Dumb and Dumber or Robin Hood Men in Tights because they mix some witty humor in with a STORY and the dumb stuff but Napoleon Dynamite is fucking horrible. The second movie that somehow has a 7.9 on IMDB that was stupid, full of bad acting, had a shitty story-line and was predictable to no end was Gone Baby Gone (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452623/). Probably the worst movie I have ever seen...enough said.

Evolve
19-09-2011, 02:09 PM
(24-07-2011 12:27 PM)lucradis Wrote:  "Plus Jason Bateman wears the greatest shirt ever made (and impossible to find) ...the Soundgarden "Superunknown" shirt... and Jennifer Garner calls it a stupid shirt. That did it for me"-Buddy Christ

Hahaha I had the same feeling. Although I like the movie alright. Overrated for sure. Also agree with most of your underrated list.
I also like a lot of the classics. Not Casablanca however... too long.
Top ten overrated movies by Lucradis:
Avatar: Sucks. This is an awful movie, just really hard to watch and I'm sick of CG, as well as 3D, I can't see it ok, it just gives me a fucking headache.
Forrest Gump: Brutal. Another movie that is hard to watch. Plus other than a few lucky movies (Big, Terminal, Splash, Joe VS The Volcano, Saving Private Ryan) I hate Tom Hanks.
Citizen Kane: Also just one long run on sentence of boring. Pointless stories make me mad.
Taxi Driver: I like De niro, I do, I really do. His older movies are great and his middle movies are great... his newer movies suck, but Taxi Driver is bad. I own it for some reason? I do not like this movie.
The Dark Night: This movie was alright, but you could tell that they fucked up right about the time they made two face. This was a Joker movie (Heaths performance was average, but because he died people blew it out of proportion).
Star Wars: Pick one. I used to like the original three, but then I went back to watch them as an adult and found them really just average. The prequels are awful.
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: Love the books, can only stand the first movie. Peter Jackson has only made one really great movie and it is Braindead. Or Dead Alive depending on where you live.
Leon: The Professional: Watchable but creepy. Also remember the first scene? Badass. He is the greatest assassin ever. But then he gets snuck up on by some regular cop????? Lame.
To Kill A Mockingbird: I really do like some things about this movie, plus the new DVD has cool packaging, but the movie just doesn't hold up over time. I mean todays standard of lawyer is way higher.
Pan's Labyrinth: I hate this movie, even though it has a couple really nice scenes and one gross one with a face and a bottle. Otherwise it is badly directed.

Underrated? Idiocracy, Stir Of Echoes, Amelie, Cube, Dark City, Other movies?
I think you're mixing personal feeling with objectivity
[+] 3 users Like Simone's post
19-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Sure that sounds plausible but not really. How so? Random statement followed by silence.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2011, 05:27 AM
I will try really hard to forget what I just saw... Pulp fiction, Clockwork orange... Avatar is not a Pocahontas rip, but Dances with wolves rip off... I stopped reading this thread on first post.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-09-2011, 03:22 PM
New list:

A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971) - I just find this movie to be so pretentious and boring. Malcom McDowell does fine work in the lead role, but the movie was so dull and dreary.

Titanic (James Cameron, 1997) - It's a special effects romp. It looks good. It's not a good movie. The acting is hammy and the script is hammy. It's one big ham sandwich, zero percent kosher.

Avatar (James Cameron, 2009) - Pretty much what I said about Titanic.

Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976) - I don't dislike this movie, but I don't particularly love it. It's a good movie and it's also well-made. I really like Sidney Lumet, rest his soul. I just found this movie to be a tad bit boring, but overall, it has the elements of a good film. It just wasn't really for me.

Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis, 1994) - This is probably the most overrated film I've seen. It's not the worst on this list, but it certainly is one of the most beloved films of all time and is considered to be a classic that everyone has pretty much seen. I like Robert Zemeckis, but I thought interweaving Gump's life with major political events was just plain stupid. It also had this dumb hokey feeling to it that was mostly caused by Tom Hanks's ridiculously overrated and over-the-top performance. It's not a bad movie. It's okay. It has some touching moments and a little bit of comic relief here and there, but it's no Best Picture nominee, much less a winner.

Ponyo (Hayao Miyazaki, 2009) - Hayao Miyazaki is one of my favorite filmmakers. He's my number one filmmaker of animated films. However, I found Ponyo to be a little too cutesy for my taste. It just came off as sappy and annoying. I didn't hate it, but it's far below his usual work. The voice acting was actually quite good (aside from Ponyo, that is) and the animation was gorgeous. I just didn't really love the story (it didn't have much of a conflict or focus) and I found Ponyo to be hyper and annoying.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
26-09-2011, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2011 06:23 PM by 17thknight.)
Overrated Movies:

1. Avatar- Do I really need to justify this? The movie's a bunch of special effects thinly veiling a rehashed, dull, trite, laughably absurd, plot-hole filled crapfest of a movie. Remove the special effects and it would barely get a D -
2. Scarface- This is not a great gangster movie. It's an implausible action film. Pacino's accent is horrific. The ending is absurdly stupid. I can't help but imagine that most people who praise it haven't seen it. In fact, I'm sure of it, because I thought it was an amazing movie...until I saw it. Holy hell.
3. Juno- Oh look how unique and hipster I am, I have a hamburger phone! SO UNIQUE! I also put a chair on my front lawn because I'm SO UNIQUE! This film is why I hate hipsters.
4. Into the Wild - Mostly because the person it's about is an absolute moron and this dripping pile of garbage movie, just as the book, tries to portray this suicidal retard as though he is deserving of anything other than contempt
5. Shakespeare in Love - That this barely memorable and utterly average love story beat Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture is still the single greatest travesty in the history of the Academy Awards, and the only reason anyone even remembers this POS even exists is because they're still furious that it beat Saving Private Ryan. In fact, look at every film it was up against: Big Lebowski, Dark City, American History X...and this forgettable and hamfisted film walks away with best picture? The other four movies will be remembered for decades. This was forgotten a week after the Academy Awards it robbed.
6. Titanic- It's not a bad movie, it's just not that amazing either. It's a love story...and that's it. It's cliche-ridden, predictable (and not just the boat sinking), and overall it simply isn't that compelling. It's a high-production romance movie and melodramatic in the extreme.
7. Rushmore - I tried to like it, I really did. But it's just so...not funny. Dull. Bill Murray gives a fantastic performance, but the movie felt incredibly forced and suffers from a serious case of "trying too hard"
8. Eraserhead - What the hell did I just watch?

I can't think of any more off the top off my head, and so my list stands at 8.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
27-09-2011, 01:09 AM
1. Titanic. 2200 People on the boat. 1500 died and that was the best story in the bunch?
2. Harry Potter XXXX. Pick one. Attempts at clever use of the english language to make puns. Boring characters. Boring plots. etc etc etc
3. Ronin. One car chase does not a movie make.
4. King Kong. (the new one) Shitty plot devices. Mess of a story and an unlimited dramatic license to the director because of his previous success.
5. Lord of the Rings Series. The aforementioned success. Ok, so we have this little dude going on a walk with his best friend and a worthless adversary to throw a ring into a volcano. Meanwhile several species form alliances to aid this trip, the details of which they know nothing about. Thin. Pounded gold thin.
6. Anything with Merryl Streep. One look. One dimension. Sad=tormented=happy=ecstatic=comedic=tragic.
7. Anything with Gwinith Paltrow. See above.

That's all I have. Anything else would make me guilty of the same crime I am accusing film makers of.

Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
27-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Overrated
Harry Potter 3, 4, 5, 6. They absolutely brutalised a brilliant series by ruining the plot and trying to turn it into a cheesy comedy.

Benjamin Button. I still lament the loss of those three hours of my life. I was so bored in the cinema that I spend most of the film trying to figure out why the cinema had row P before row O.

King Kong. Couldn't get into it at all. Just bored me.

Fantastic Four. Hardly any real action.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2, 3, 4. Not bad films but not as good as people say. Dodgy plot lines and an over reliance on Johnny Depp eccentricity as Captain Jack.

Paranormal Activity. The scariest thing about this film was that I know several people who actually think it was real.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003). How this grossed over $100M I will never know. Just putting a load of gore with practically no plot line or suspense doesn't make a scary film.

Saw (All of them). Same as TCM.

Disaster Movie. The fact that this film was ever made makes it overrated.

Hannibal. Has that dodgy sequel feel. Doesn't deserve to be associated with Silence of the Lambs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underrated
Kick-Ass. My favourite film EVER. (Nicolas Cage was pretty good in this).

The Unborn. Got bad reviews but terrified me.

Mercury Rising. No-one seems to have heard of it, even though it's brilliant.

Da Vinci Code. Only got very mixed reviews but I found it gripping.

Orphan. Good film despite a slightly over the top ending.

I'll add more if I think of any.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.