Top Ten Most Overrated Films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2011, 10:53 AM
RE: Top Ten Most Overrated Films
(27-09-2011 01:09 AM)coyoteran Wrote:  3. Ronin. One car chase does not a movie make.

5. Lord of the Rings Series. The aforementioned success. Ok, so we have this little dude going on a walk with his best friend and a worthless adversary to throw a ring into a volcano. Meanwhile several species form alliances to aid this trip, the details of which they know nothing about. Thin. Pounded gold thin.

These two picks are jokes, right? Right? Tell me you are joking.
(27-09-2011 07:02 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Mercury Rising. No-one seems to have heard of it, even though it's brilliant.

I've heard of it Smile Fantastic thriller. The relationship between Willis and the child actor was very touching and added a deep sense of believability to the rest of the film.

Bruce Willis' emotional range always shines when he's with kids. It makes me imagine he's quite warm with children in real life.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
(24-07-2011 12:27 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Taxi Driver: I like De niro, I do, I really do. His older movies are great and his middle movies are great... his newer movies suck, but Taxi Driver is bad. I own it for some reason? I do not like this movie.
It's my favorite movie of all time. Feel free to mail me your copy of Taxi Driver.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
[+] 1 user Likes jkshrout's post
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
(03-10-2011 07:03 PM)jkshrout Wrote:  
(24-07-2011 12:27 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Taxi Driver: I like De niro, I do, I really do. His older movies are great and his middle movies are great... his newer movies suck, but Taxi Driver is bad. I own it for some reason? I do not like this movie.
It's my favorite movie of all time. Feel free to mail me your copy of Taxi Driver.

Hahahah I would totally if my wife hadn't developed a weird attachment to it.

And to coyoteran, Ronin had two good car chases in it and was awesome, but to each his own, I agree that the lord of the rings movies sucked donkey balls.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2011, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 12:33 AM by coyoteran.)
(27-09-2011 01:09 AM)coyoteran Wrote:  3. Ronin. One car chase does not a movie make.

5. Lord of the Rings Series. The aforementioned success. Ok, so we have this little dude going on a walk with his best friend and a worthless adversary to throw a ring into a volcano. Meanwhile several species form alliances to aid this trip, the details of which they know nothing about. Thin. Pounded gold thin.

These two picks are jokes, right? Right? Tell me you are joking.
Nope, not joking. I stand corrected regarding two car chases vs one but the end result was that I kept on waiting for Ronin to start and I could not wait for The Lord of the Rings to end. For what it's worth, my opinion of the movie may have been tainted by the books. I read them cover to cover hoping they would get better because I wanted them to get better. I give Tolkien credit for doing something that had never been done in literature at that point. Creating a mythical world and populating it with several wild and fantastic species and giving it all a back story. But it was a terrible read. I liken it to reading "The Old Man and the Sea" back to back 300 times. A tad monotonous.

And remember, the topic is Overated Movies, not Worst Movies. That is an entirely different ball of wax.

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
11-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I'll just come up with a top 1 for now.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I've tried watching it more than once, and every time it bores me to tears. If this were released today, people would be complaining that it's a shallow movie with a paper thin plot that tries to get by on the special effects.

While I understand its place in cinema history (and quite enjoyed the books), it's just shit.

Why won't God heal amputees?
[+] 1 user Likes The Holy Goat's post
14-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry, but the Space Odyssey is not just a classic, it is art. Of course it is boring for you, you expect action and drama, but you do not watch classic art movies and expect same things as from the rest of the movies. For me Brazil is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, but it is also one of the best. I hate it for the feeling it leaves inside me after watching it, (like Requiem for a Dream), but I love it because it is such a great movie for pulling those emotions out of me, it is made simply brilliant.

But then again, everybody wants something else from a movie.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 4 users Like Filox's post
15-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Funny coincidence Filox. My crew and I were discussing Space Odyssey 2 days ago. That POS came out when I was 4. I have tried to watch it dozens of times since its release. I have yet to make it through a sitting.

Ground breaking/revolutionary does not always equal good. But hey, if that's what blows your hair back, who am I to say it's wrong. For example, Andromeda Strain still scares the shit out of me. Same era. Lots of people hate it. So what the hell do I know.

Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
15-10-2011, 01:07 AM
2001: A Space Odyssey is near the top of my all-time greatest film list. It blew me away in 1968; it blows me away today. I can't count the number of times I've seen it. i don't get tired of it. It's a beautiful, provocative, mind-bending movie--as Filox said, a work of art.

Just shows there's no accounting for taste.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
The Lost Boys
Godfather

There are a bunch but those 3 popped in my head first.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 10:45 AM by Chas.)
My Own Private Idaho

All the Harry Potter movies
All the Lord of the Rings films.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge HP and LotR fan, but the movies just suck.

In both series, the directors took very wide liberties with plot and character. Many of the plot changes were entirely gratuitous, the director believing he could improve the scene or the action. The director was invariably wrong. For instance, in HP1, the early scene of the first flying lesson was changed to no advantage, as was the first challenge scene in Goblet of Fire where Harry and the dragon fly all over hell and gone. Nothing useful is added; in fact the drama is lessened.

In LotR, my biggest beef (after many a smaller beef) was the conpletely and utterly fucked up ending. To delete the Scouring of the Shire was to miss the point almost entirely. The themes of growing up and coming to age and passing away and good vs evil that are the very fabric of the saga are tossed out for a kiss with a starry-eyed hobbit slut.

I could go on and on, but it probably bores most of you and just pointlessly raises my blood pressure.

If a director wants to make 'his' movie, let him write his own damn book.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post