Top Ten Most Overrated Films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2012, 05:48 AM
RE: Top Ten Most Overrated Films
I have to agree with The Holy Goat on 2001: A Space Odyssey,

2001: A Space Odyssey - Bored me to suicidal thoughts. But I did manage to fall to sleep.
A Clockwork Orange - Can I get my money back?
Apocalypse Now - No, this isn't how it was...
Royal Tenenbaums - I'd rather have a bad case of the trots.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Kill me please! I beg of you...
Shakespeare in Love - The whole world's against me.
E.T. - Get real... It sucked then - it sucks now.
Scarface - Nuff said!
Blade Runner - I bet Harrison Ford regrets the hell out of this one.
Brokeback Mountain - Sorry Charlie... It wasn't that good.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Only 10, party pooper. I could type for days on this.

10) Titanic – Everyone here seems to agree that this was slow, boring and ultimately pointless.

9) Avatar: Once again, James Cameron seems to make the most money from his poorest films. (Any one remember Abyss, loved the hell out of that)

8) Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn: Commonly know as ‘the best one’ among my Trekkie mates, I found it to be nothing more than an episode from TAS with a bigger budget and older actors. It’s still a brilliant watch but I didn’t feel like it did anything significantly different to warrant the hype. (First Contact is still my favourite)

7) There’s Something About Mary: Uuuuughh……I get it, she’s got cum in her hair, now actually do something funny!!! I also hate how this sort of cemented Cameron Diaz’s position as the go to woman for comedies in the 90s/00s. I find her to be wooden and without range. *cough* Still hot *cough*

6) Moulin Rouge: Piss weak premises, a musical with no original songs, a completely vapid and sickly storybook take on love (but what movie doesn’t do this these days) and Nicole Kidman…….let it be know that I do not like Nicole Kidman.

5) The Incredibles: Don’t get me wrong, I liked it, great story, animation is some of Pixar’s best and its leagues above Pixar’s only flop, the Cars franchise. I just don’t think it deserves the fanfare it gets when people flip through my movie collection on a slow Thursday.

4) Shakespeare in Love: Thank you to all the lovely people on this board who identify this as overrated as all hell. It’s a run of the mill over-adversity love story. Nothing more.

3) Precious: Acting good, drive behind the films acclaim, not so much for me. I just got the odd feeling that this movie was big because it was controversial and got a lot of backing form Oprah. Still it was nice to see Gabourey Sidibe representing the large acting community in such fine style, but its slightly ham-stringed by the resurgence of Mariah Carey.

2) Brokeback Mountain: Ang Lee: “Its not a gay cowboy movie”. Me: “It was a gay cowboy movie”. Another case of the movie getting big hype due to the subject matter. The subject matter was relevant, and still is, I just thought the film wasn’t riveting once you took away the controversial gimmick.

1) Inglorious Bastards: I am the only person I know who loathed this film. I loved the opening sequence, some of the tensest cinema I’ve ever experienced but the rest just dragged the fuck on. At no point after that opening 15 minutes was I not aware that Tarantino was trying to show how fucking clever he is by putting in ‘subtle’ references to his encyclopaedic film knowledge. We get it QT, you’re a film buff. The only thing that makes this movie palatable for me is the knowledge that almost all of QTs movies are part of the same continuity, and this movie kind of makes it all make sense. Seriously Google it, it’s true!

Now to voice my grievances:
*Takes a deep breath*

(06-01-2011 10:25 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  8. Anything by M. Night Shyamalan that isn't Sixth Sense

Unbreakable is the single best non-comic based superhero movie ever made and I am gutted that the planned sequels will never get made. Please tell me you haven’t seen it and didn’t factor it into you dismissing of all of his other films. Still doesn’t make up for the crime of Last Airbender

(17-01-2011 12:26 AM)jkshrout Wrote:  Jennifer's Body - I love Diablo Cody, and I thought she did a good job with this film. It's not a horror flick, it's a black comedy, which is something a lot of people missed.

I picked up that it was a comedy, that didn’t change the fact that it was bloody awful. This answered the question for me as to whether or not Megan Fox really is that bad, or she was just working with a poor script in Transformers. I weep at the fact that Diablo Cody is working on the script for the Evil Dead reboot. She can do good work, United States of Tara was good fun while it lasted, but Jennifer’s Body showed me that she has no idea how to manage a classic schlock-horror franchise. This is going to be JJ Abrams at the head of the Star Trek reboot all over again. Not offensively bad, just disappointing.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
[+] 2 users Like Dunhill808's post
09-03-2012, 02:07 PM
The Matrix(all three) - I found the movies pretty boring and just awful.
Titanic - I treat that as if it were a comedy, especially the sinking part when people were falling the boat.
Star Wars - Can not understand the hype it gets, I have seen all but alas I hate it.
Avatar - Saw it and can't help but, wonder why I and others paid money to see it.
Back To The Future - I can't really explain it but I have always wondered why it is raved about. Never saw the appeal of it.
Indiana Jones - Dire.
Clerks - I like Kevin Smith, everyone told me it was good but I couldn't get in to it. Disappointingly underwhelming.
Batman Begins - Just thought it was crap, in all honesty.
Scarface - Meh.
The Godfather 1-2 - Bored every time I have seen them.
09-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure I can think of 10, but if I could be bothered these 2 would definitely be in there somewhere.
Cable Guy
Funny People

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
09-03-2012, 07:34 PM
5. Transformers I don't even know why this is justified to be liked.

4. L.A. Confidential I liked the film but it was very bland and static in its development, when I saw how high it gets rated online I was stunned.

3. It's a Wonderful Life It has one of my favorite movie lines, but in a joke.

2: Saving Private Ryan. The film was the opening scene and that's it. If they just made a massive D-Day film it would of been epic.

My Number 1: The Hangover I don't know why so many people gave me guff over not liking this movie. It's just a run of the mill Murphy's Law situation and I didn't like it when it was the same movie as "Dude Where's My Car" Or another time when it was the same thing in a movie name I forgot now.
13-03-2012, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 06:50 AM by houseofcantor.)
(26-09-2011 06:19 PM)17thknight Wrote:  5. Shakespeare in Love - That this barely memorable and utterly average love story beat Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture is still the single greatest travesty in the history of the Academy Awards, and the only reason anyone even remembers this POS even exists is because they're still furious that it beat Saving Private Ryan. In fact, look at every film it was up against: Big Lebowski, Dark City, American History X...and this forgettable and hamfisted film walks away with best picture? The other four movies will be remembered for decades. This was forgotten a week after the Academy Awards it robbed.

People ragging on this flick are people ragging on my Gwynnies - makes me wanna go full auto. Big Grin

Somebody said there's objectivity involved? I ain't buying it.
(07-03-2012 05:48 AM)arcticspear Wrote:  Blade Runner - I bet Harrison Ford regrets the hell out of this one.

You bumped yer head. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2012, 09:23 PM
I forgot all about the vampire bollocks that is Twilight. The one thing missing from that film was Blade.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Eternal's post
15-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Oh, good lord, Twilight.
I have only seen one twilight movie (the second one), which I was tricked into going to see. It is hours of my life i'll never get back.

I don't know about anyone else, but if a teenage boy came walking out of the woods half naked carrying my unconcious teenage daughter, I'd probably have different words than "thank you". That made me laugh. The rest made me want to hurt myself in ways normally reserved for my "alone time".
[+] 2 users Like Mugsy's post
15-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Dunhill808 wrote:
Quote:Unbreakable is the single best non-comic based superhero movie ever made and I am gutted that the planned sequels will never get made. Please tell me you haven’t seen it and didn’t factor it into you dismissing of all of his other films. Still doesn’t make up for the crime of Last Airbender

OK, I hated what that bastard did to The Last Airbender so much, that I never want to see or hear anything connected, even remotely with this man. Now you have made me question my judgment, because this does look promising. If I download this movie and it turns out to be only one of Shalalamans crap, I will hunt you down and scream real loud when I get you! You will not like it.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
16-03-2012, 01:37 AM
(15-03-2012 03:00 PM)Filox Wrote:  Dunhill808 wrote:
Quote:Unbreakable is the single best non-comic based superhero movie ever made and I am gutted that the planned sequels will never get made. Please tell me you haven’t seen it and didn’t factor it into you dismissing of all of his other films. Still doesn’t make up for the crime of Last Airbender

OK, I hated what that bastard did to The Last Airbender so much, that I never want to see or hear anything connected, even remotely with this man. Now you have made me question my judgment, because this does look promising. If I download this movie and it turns out to be only one of Shalalamans crap, I will hunt you down and scream real loud when I get you! You will not like it.

I... hated Unbreakable. It was tediously slow paced, so quiet I almost just assume he didn't want to shell out royalties for background music, and the big M. Night twist ending was basically the only plot point in the whole script. One of those "Huh. So THAT'S why I sat through this whole 2 hour snail crawl" type endings.

Watch it Filox, so I can see if I'm wrong in this.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post