Top Ten Most Overrated Films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2012, 01:14 PM
RE: Top Ten Most Overrated Films
(19-04-2012 04:41 PM)frankiej Wrote:  People hating on The Godfather and Citizen Kane makes my brain cry.
Turned the Godfather off less than an hour in. Boring. I actually watched all of Citizen Kane and thought it was okay. But only okay.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I have no faith in humanity.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
24-04-2012, 04:10 PM
(24-04-2012 04:08 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I have no faith in humanity.
I'm sorry to have ruined it for you.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I didn't have any to begin with anyway. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
25-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't know that I have 10 but I can't stand Napoleon Dynamite. HOLY SHIT WHAT A TERRIBLE MOVIE!!!

Evolve
29-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Most overrated movies?

Oh well that's easy. Anything that originated from a comic or involves some sort of superhero with some shitty powers. They all suck, every single god damn one of them and it baffles my mind as to how so many people like them. Must be an American thing.
The movies always involve 50-60minutes of pointless talking and crappy love scenes. The only good part, the one main fight scene, lasts maybe 10minutes. And you always know the good guy's gonna win. What fun is it in watching a movie that is just so so predictable. This is why my friends never invite me to these types of movies, because I will just say what is about to happen and get it right 8/10 times.

Comic/Superhero movies are the garbage of movies. They offer awful, AWFUL stories with absolutely no substance, only have a small amount of good visual effects (which are all fake and computer done anyway...) and are incredibly predictable. And you don't produce strong emotions either.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
29-04-2012, 06:31 AM
But Iron Man has Gwynnies. Heart

Of course they're silly-stupid. Some people actually watch films for mindless entertainment. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2012, 06:31 PM
The new green hornet was a pretty entertaining take on super hero movies =p not much like the old green hornet but it was something I could laugh at.

I'm glad someone mentioned the waste of film known as inglorious bastards. It sounded so good, but it was terrible!!! Yes the opening sequence got me ready for something great, but then they started speaking english and never got back to acting.

I'm in the liked unbreakable camp, although now finding out it was directed by that guy have started changing sides >.> Generally I could care less who directed a movie, but he's really that bad of a director. In fact thinking back to what was good in the film, it just seems less good if you put it up against any of his other films. My suggestion Filox forget it was directed by him or the movie will probably suck.

Who actually says the sixth sense was worth watching? That piece of crap was worse than some of his later films.

As was already stated rocky horror is a terrible movie, it's just got a cult, and the cult is really fun =p

I'm actually someone who was happy to see Avatar though. It's kind of like the Mummy, nothing ground breaking but a really good collection of things people like in action flicks. Anyway I have a thing for humans being killed =p

Obvious is just the worst word a film critic can use, so few films are not obvious. It's such a common tool to rework a story so the viewers can feel more into it by helping it along. Lok at something like Zombieland when trying to suggest the fact it's a ommon plot device ruins the movie. They really geared up being a zombie flick and made it fun.

Making me want to flood erxomai's thread again with movie suggestions =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
29-04-2012, 11:55 PM
(29-04-2012 06:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  But Iron Man has Gwynnies. Heart

Of course they're silly-stupid. Some people actually watch films for mindless entertainment. Tongue
How hard is it to follow a good story? seriously? Takes no thinking at all. Because that is half of superhero movies problem is that the story is just so awful. It is simply rinse and repeat.
Everybody knocks Avatar, "ohh it's the same ol' story about love and shit and whatever", yet all superhero movies are 10X worse and yet people, mainly yanks, dribble over them like pork ribs.
In order of how the movie pans out:
1) Nerd/average Joe/Rich bored guy are sitting around being normal.
2) Dream about most popular girl in school or whatever who never speaks to them or knows they exist. Or something to the outline.
3) Nerd/Person gains powers
4) Uses powers for good
5) Girl loves masked super hero
6) Superhero thinks all is good because girl likes him, even though she is a shallow hoe who would never speak to him if it wasn't for his powers
7) badguy shows up
8) bad guy beats up superhero and steals girl. All looks doomed.
9) A moment where the superhero seems to give up. Someone talks them into going to save the silly girl.
10) Hero saves silly girl and planet and destroy the badguy.
11) Bad guy doesn't die but gets flung into space or something screaming something like I will have my revenge.
12) kiss
13) roll credits.

Lame, every single time.

Maybe sometimes the Director will add a "twist" where there is some thing about how the hero goes after the popular girl but in the end she turns out to be a bit of skank and so ends up with his best friend or something like that.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
30-04-2012, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 12:21 PM by Antirepublican.)
Quote: How hard is it to follow a good story? seriously? Takes no thinking at all. Because that is half of superhero movies problem is that the story is just so awful. It is simply rinse and repeat.
Everybody knocks Avatar, "ohh it's the same ol' story about love and shit and whatever", yet all superhero movies are 10X worse and yet people, mainly yanks, dribble over them like pork ribs.
In order of how the movie pans out:
1) Nerd/average Joe/Rich bored guy are sitting around being normal.
2) Dream about most popular girl in school or whatever who never speaks to them or knows they exist. Or something to the outline.
3) Nerd/Person gains powers
4) Uses powers for good
5) Girl loves masked super hero
6) Superhero thinks all is good because girl likes him, even though she is a shallow hoe who would never speak to him if it wasn't for his powers
7) badguy shows up
8) bad guy beats up superhero and steals girl. All looks doomed.
9) A moment where the superhero seems to give up. Someone talks them into going to save the silly girl.
10) Hero saves silly girl and planet and destroy the badguy.
11) Bad guy doesn't die but gets flung into space or something screaming something like I will have my revenge.
12) kiss
13) roll credits.

Lame, every single time.

Maybe sometimes the Director will add a "twist" where there is some thing about how the hero goes after the popular girl but in the end she turns out to be a bit of skank and so ends up with his best friend or something like that.

Iron man and the new Bat man series were great movies, and they don't follow that pattern at all.

(06-01-2011 10:25 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  [I tried to post this last night, but I passed out on Vicodin and Percocet (my tooth is killing me) before I could finish. I'm sure whatever I had written was classic]

In the spirit of the Top Tens popping up in the Movies section, I figured I'd go the opposite route. Instead of everyone posting faves and praising each other, I'm going to piss people off, I'm sure. Two things, though:

A. I probably won't be able to come up with 10... and
B. I'm still very much on Vicodin and Percocet, so watch out

Here we go.

1. Juno
- I. Hate. This movie. Which is strange because I like all the actors and actresses in it. It just seems to be geared towards the Twilight crowd of brooding emo teenagers. It's slow. It's boring. And is filled with the most ridiculous soundtrack ever. Plus Jason Bateman wears the greatest shirt ever made (and impossible to find) ...the Soundgarden "Superunknown" shirt... and Jennifer Garner calls it a stupid shirt. That did it for me.

2. Napolean Dynamite
- People kept trying to get me to watch this movie because "it's so you!" Well I did watch it. It was like watching home movies for me. This shit ain't funny, this is a recap of my childhood.

3. Avatar
- Visually, this movie is groundbreaking and amazing. But that's it. The plot is cut and paste and is a rip off of the Fern Gully's and Pocahontas' of the movie world. Here's basically what I hate about it in youtube form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA

4. Garden State
- I kept seeing it lumped in with other good movies in people's lists, so I gave it a shot. A few days later I couldn't remember what the movie was about. So I gave it another shot. To this day, i still can't remember one scene or quote one line. Now perhaps this attests more to my memory capabilities and/or drug abuse... but it's going on the list.

5. Any movie with Tom Cruise or Nicolas Cage
- Seriously. When was the last good Tom Cruise movie? Minority Report? That certainly had nothing to do with Tom's acting and more with an interesting concept. And when was Nicolas Cage's last good movie? Leaving Las Vegas? Watch any movie after that and tell me you were convinced by Cage's performance and I will call you a liar.

6. A Clockwork Orange
- this movie, like Catcher in the Rye, has a following of people claiming "you just don't get it." I guess this movie didn't work for me because I lack the ability to be shocked or offended. When I see artworks like Olifi's virgin mary or whats-his-name's Piss Christ, I just shrug and go, "meh." You can make strange movies that are actually good, like Donnie Darko or anything directed by Terry Gilliam.

7. Scarface
- this is on most people's overrated lists, and rightly so. By itself, it's a good movie, if a little slow. It became overrated when it became "cool" to quote that f***ing line by Tony Montana and to have a framed Scarface poster in your 2 million dollar house. The "people who have actually watched Scarface" to "people who praise Scarface without having ever seen it" ratio has become badly unbalanced.

8. Anything by M. Night Shyamalan that isn't Sixth Sense
- even if it's universally ridiculed and hated, just that fact that it's universally known makes it overrated. Anyone who has recently watched Devil knows that even 11 years after 6th Sense, he's still making laughably bad scripts into movies and getting away with it, all because of one semi-decent movie.

9. Pulp Fiction
- I'm sorry! I liked it and used to say the Royale with Cheese line every time I found myself in a McDonalds in Europe, but it was by no means as groundbreaking or classic as people claim.

10. Pre-70's Classics
- I'm sure this is an generational thing and a "you weren't there, you don't know how amazing it was for its time" thing. But I took a Film as Art class once and had to watch Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and Singing in the Rain. Rosebud... who cares. If I can watch Dr Strangelove and the 1934 version of Count of Monte Cristo and enjoy them, then I should also like these other classics, right? I don't.

And finally, a quick "most underrated movies" shout out.
Groundhog's Day
SLC Punk
12 Monkeys
Falling Down
Stir of Echoes

I MADE IT!!! My eyes refuse to focus and I'm nodding off, but I did the whole thing! [Image: highfive.gif]
Juno is a good movie. Idk what shirt your talking about, but your opinion seems biased based on a shirt.

Napolean Dynamite is definitely deserving of a spot on the list. Highly overrated movie to say the least.

The Avatar is clearly a ripoff of dances with wolves, but that's a damn good movie too. So I have to disagree, the sci-fi version of dances with wolves is a great movie.

National treasure was a decent movie.
I actually like the last samurai as well.
Other than those two I have to agree though.

M. Night Shyamalan
/agree
The last movie I watched of his was The last airbender, and he absolutely ruined it. The cartoon series was actually pretty good, and there was definetly potentional there, but this guy just shit the bed.

Groundhog's dag is medicore at best imo.The whole plot is ridiculous. God loops the whole universe so this complete douchebag can boink his co-worker, and become slightly less of an asshole.

You forgot the movie that should easily take #1 slot.
TITANIC! Holy shit, I can't watch more than 5 mins of that movie at a time and give up.

Also,
Harry Potter. Crap, crap crap, especially the ending.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2+ - The first one was great, but after that it got really old and pretty terrible.

The Matrix 2,3 - The first movie was absolutely amazing, easily top 10, but the sequels could never even come close to doing the original justice.

Star Wars - The whole series is rather mediocre really. Old and New.

Lord of the Rings 3 -The series as a whole was really good, but this third movie wasn't that great. Particularly because the ending was like 30 mins long....Holy hell all the gay hobbit love wouldn't end.