Top Ten Most Overrated Films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Top Ten Most Overrated Films
[I tried to post this last night, but I passed out on Vicodin and Percocet (my tooth is killing me) before I could finish. I'm sure whatever I had written was classic]

In the spirit of the Top Tens popping up in the Movies section, I figured I'd go the opposite route. Instead of everyone posting faves and praising each other, I'm going to piss people off, I'm sure. Two things, though:

A. I probably won't be able to come up with 10... and
B. I'm still very much on Vicodin and Percocet, so watch out

Here we go.

1. Juno
- I. Hate. This movie. Which is strange because I like all the actors and actresses in it. It just seems to be geared towards the Twilight crowd of brooding emo teenagers. It's slow. It's boring. And is filled with the most ridiculous soundtrack ever. Plus Jason Bateman wears the greatest shirt ever made (and impossible to find) ...the Soundgarden "Superunknown" shirt... and Jennifer Garner calls it a stupid shirt. That did it for me.

2. Napolean Dynamite
- People kept trying to get me to watch this movie because "it's so you!" Well I did watch it. It was like watching home movies for me. This shit ain't funny, this is a recap of my childhood.

3. Avatar
- Visually, this movie is groundbreaking and amazing. But that's it. The plot is cut and paste and is a rip off of the Fern Gully's and Pocahontas' of the movie world. Here's basically what I hate about it in youtube form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA

4. Garden State
- I kept seeing it lumped in with other good movies in people's lists, so I gave it a shot. A few days later I couldn't remember what the movie was about. So I gave it another shot. To this day, i still can't remember one scene or quote one line. Now perhaps this attests more to my memory capabilities and/or drug abuse... but it's going on the list.

5. Any movie with Tom Cruise or Nicolas Cage
- Seriously. When was the last good Tom Cruise movie? Minority Report? That certainly had nothing to do with Tom's acting and more with an interesting concept. And when was Nicolas Cage's last good movie? Leaving Las Vegas? Watch any movie after that and tell me you were convinced by Cage's performance and I will call you a liar.

6. A Clockwork Orange
- this movie, like Catcher in the Rye, has a following of people claiming "you just don't get it." I guess this movie didn't work for me because I lack the ability to be shocked or offended. When I see artworks like Olifi's virgin mary or whats-his-name's Piss Christ, I just shrug and go, "meh." You can make strange movies that are actually good, like Donnie Darko or anything directed by Terry Gilliam.

7. Scarface
- this is on most people's overrated lists, and rightly so. By itself, it's a good movie, if a little slow. It became overrated when it became "cool" to quote that f***ing line by Tony Montana and to have a framed Scarface poster in your 2 million dollar house. The "people who have actually watched Scarface" to "people who praise Scarface without having ever seen it" ratio has become badly unbalanced.

8. Anything by M. Night Shyamalan that isn't Sixth Sense
- even if it's universally ridiculed and hated, just that fact that it's universally known makes it overrated. Anyone who has recently watched Devil knows that even 11 years after 6th Sense, he's still making laughably bad scripts into movies and getting away with it, all because of one semi-decent movie.

9. Pulp Fiction
- I'm sorry! I liked it and used to say the Royale with Cheese line every time I found myself in a McDonalds in Europe, but it was by no means as groundbreaking or classic as people claim.

10. Pre-70's Classics
- I'm sure this is an generational thing and a "you weren't there, you don't know how amazing it was for its time" thing. But I took a Film as Art class once and had to watch Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and Singing in the Rain. Rosebud... who cares. If I can watch Dr Strangelove and the 1934 version of Count of Monte Cristo and enjoy them, then I should also like these other classics, right? I don't.

And finally, a quick "most underrated movies" shout out.
Groundhog's Day
SLC Punk
12 Monkeys
Falling Down
Stir of Echoes

I MADE IT!!! My eyes refuse to focus and I'm nodding off, but I did the whole thing! [Image: highfive.gif]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
RE: Top Ten Most Overrated Films
1.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
2.) Rambo 3
3.) Days of Thunder.
4.) Rambo 2
5.) Steven Segal - Everything he has done that I know of.

Since I see only a few movies a year, I can't comment on most movies.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Wow! Buddy Christ just named like six or seven of my all time favorite movies in his overrated list.

NoJ, the Rocky Horror Picture Show is not overrated. Everyone knows it sucks. But it's campy fun and that's why it's a classic.

The following movies, are in fact, overrated.

10 - Congo Jurassic Park it ain't.

9 - Titanic It's not well acted. It's not well written. It's not believable. It's not original. It's got a terrible score. It's too fucking long.

8 - Insert title of Wayans Brothers' movie here

7 - The Thin Red Line I couldn't follow most of it. I couldn't understand the parts I could follow.

6 - Shaft WTF?

5 - On the Town I love Gene Kelly, but the humor was like that of a Three Stooges movie and the music was too lacking in melody.

4 - The World According to Garp Some books are great, and should just be left as great books.

3 - The Seventh Seal WTF again?

2 - Sex, Lies and Video Tape Why was this movie so popular?

And the #1 most overrated film of all time - Breakfast at Tiffanie's Mickey Rooney as an elderly flamboyant Asian man? Seriously? I know nothing about the couple in that song by Deep Blue Something, but the fact that they both kinda liked this "film" is enough to make me kind of hate both of them.
[+] 1 user Likes gamutman's post
07-01-2011, 09:39 PM
(07-01-2011 07:21 PM)No J. Wrote:  3.) Days of Thunder.

Ohhhh, it's on now. I know I said all Tom Cruise movie were sh!t but I happen to love this movie. And I hate Nascar. Dynamite soundtrack and lots of crashing. It is to Nascar what Rocky was to boxing: unrealistic but inspiring as hell. I wouldn't mind saying it's not a "great" movie, but overrated? You must live in the south because no one around here has even heard of it.

Quote:Wow! Buddy Christ just named like six or seven of my all time favorite movies in his overrated list.

Sorry. A movie can still be good and be overrated. It's the hype that kills it. Like when suddenly 17 year old girls were asking me if I had ever seen Scarface... like it was this hot new fad. Or when people gush over Avatar without seeing the obvious plot wholes or generic antagonists.

I was gonna add the Twilight series, but most people who aren't tweens seem to properly dismiss it as a pile of crap.

Quote:And the #1 most overrated film of all time - Breakfast at Tiffanie's

While I do hear references to this movie all the time, I have managed to avoid seeing it.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
08-01-2011, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 06:31 PM by No J..)
(07-01-2011 09:39 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(07-01-2011 07:21 PM)No J. Wrote:  3.) Days of Thunder.

Ohhhh, it's on now. I know I said all Tom Cruise movie were sh!t but I happen to love this movie. And I hate Nascar. Dynamite soundtrack and lots of crashing. It is to Nascar what Rocky was to boxing: unrealistic but inspiring as hell. I wouldn't mind saying it's not a "great" movie, but overrated? You must live in the south because no one around here has even heard of it.

Born on the Fourth of July was an excellent and well acted movie. Days of Thunder was his next movie. I live in Canada, I like racing, including NASCAR, and I thought that Days of Thunder was to NASCAR what Britney Spears is to boxing. Every single scene in Days of Thunder that pertained to racing was incorrect, sometimes to the stupid. Since you are not a racing fan, you would have missed some of that. For me, it destroyed the movie. If you ignore all the suspensions of reality, it would be a decent movie. I loose interest when I see such blatant suspensions of reality. That is me. That is why I go to very few movies. I accept fantasy in fantasy movies, but not in movies that are supposed to be based in the real world.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Well it had to appeal to what the non-Nascar public wants, lots and lots of crashes. The same reason no one ever blocked in Rocky movies. The only difference between Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights was that TN knew they were making a comedy.

09-01-2011, 07:13 PM
(08-01-2011 09:26 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The only difference between Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights was that TN knew they were making a comedy.

I can see that.

11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
12 Monkeys as Most Overrated? I doubt anyone within a 10 mile radius of me has even heard of that movie.

17-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Overrated:
Titanic - cheesy, poorly written, and poorly acted
Avatar - see above, but include hijacked and predictable story, and morals that are so in-your-face you can smell their breath
Ponyo - not bad, but definitely Miyazaki's worst film. It skims a conflict many times, but you never feel like there is a conflict or that the story is going anywhere.

Underrated:
Jennifer's Body - I love Diablo Cody, and I thought she did a good job with this film. It's not a horror flick, it's a black comedy, which is something a lot of people missed.
Gamer - pretty horrible movie, but the action scenes are awesome, and that's enough to make it enjoyable.

These are the only ones that come to mind right now, but I'm sure more will pop in my head later.

(11-01-2011 11:03 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  12 Monkeys as Most Overrated? I doubt anyone within a 10 mile radius of me has even heard of that movie.
It's an adbot, don't expect adbot posts to be comprehensive and/or intelligent.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
17-01-2011, 02:11 PM
(06-01-2011 10:25 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Pre-70's Classics
- I'm sure this is an generational thing and a "you weren't there, you don't know how amazing it was for its time" thing. But I took a Film as Art class once and had to watch Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and Singing in the Rain. Rosebud... who cares. If I can watch Dr Strangelove and the 1934 version of Count of Monte Cristo and enjoy them, then I should also like these other classics, right? I don't.

It's not a generational thing. I wasn't around for many of those movies, but I can recognize that many of them are genuine classics. High Noon, which was released in 1952, tops my all-time-greatest films list.

It was definitely a different style of movie which was popular then, but not all of them are overrated.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user