Top US Diplomats Abandoning Trump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 08:29 PM
RE: Top US Diplomats Abandoning Trump
(26-01-2017 08:27 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 08:25 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Thread title is false.

They were asked to leave. Fired.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/t...index.html
They submitted letters of resignation per tradition. Trump simply accepted them. It's my understanding that he would have only asked them to stay for transition purposes anyway.

"were sent letters by the White House that their service was no longer required"

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2017, 08:37 PM
(26-01-2017 08:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  "were sent letters by the White House that their service was no longer required"
In response to their traditionally-mandated letters of resignation. If Trump wants to cast accepting a resignation as a "firing" for purposes of appearance, that's fine, but it doesn't make it a firing. If I quit, my boss can't fire me because I no longer work for him. Sorry, I beat him to it :-)
26-01-2017, 08:46 PM
(26-01-2017 08:37 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 08:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  "were sent letters by the White House that their service was no longer required"
In response to their traditionally-mandated letters of resignation. If Trump wants to cast accepting a resignation as a "firing" for purposes of appearance, that's fine, but it doesn't make it a firing. If I quit, my boss can't fire me because I no longer work for him. Sorry, I beat him to it :-)

From what I read in another article, every one of them sends a letter of resignation. Even if they know they will be staying on, it's tradition to send it. It's actually rare to receive a resignation acceptance letter. Unprecedented actually. So while not technically fired, they were technically fired. Get it?

26-01-2017, 11:20 PM
(26-01-2017 08:46 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 08:37 PM)mordant Wrote:  In response to their traditionally-mandated letters of resignation. If Trump wants to cast accepting a resignation as a "firing" for purposes of appearance, that's fine, but it doesn't make it a firing. If I quit, my boss can't fire me because I no longer work for him. Sorry, I beat him to it :-)

From what I read in another article, every one of them sends a letter of resignation. Even if they know they will be staying on, it's tradition to send it. It's actually rare to receive a resignation acceptance letter. Unprecedented actually. So while not technically fired, they were technically fired. Get it?

So Trump's an arsehole and you just proved it Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-01-2017, 11:29 PM
(26-01-2017 11:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 08:46 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  From what I read in another article, every one of them sends a letter of resignation. Even if they know they will be staying on, it's tradition to send it. It's actually rare to receive a resignation acceptance letter. Unprecedented actually. So while not technically fired, they were technically fired. Get it?

So Trump's an arsehole and you just proved it Smile

He's draining the swamp of career federal employees in leadership positions that suck at their job.

27-01-2017, 12:38 AM
(26-01-2017 11:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  So Trump's an arsehole and you just proved it Smile

He's draining the swamp of career federal employees in leadership positions that suck at their job.

Rolleyes No matter what he does you approve anyway. And I'm glad to see that Donald Trump has identified these specific state department employees as part of the swamp that needs draining using his psychic powers. That must be why the state department is saying things like "Wow, they gave years of service and did a really good job", "Phew, thank goodness although we're losing 150 years of accumulated institutional knowledge at least we have some decent guys who can step into their shoes". Real swamp draining stuff that.

God you're a tool.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
27-01-2017, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 07:47 AM by GirlyMan.)
(26-01-2017 11:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  So Trump's an arsehole and you just proved it Smile

Career federal employees are not replaced with each new administration. That's what a career civil servant as opposed to a political appointee means. We don't submit our resignations just because there's a new administration. The president can't just fire us willy nilly without cause. We have far more protections against that than those in the private sector. The Secret Service agent who said she'd rather go to jail than take a bullet for Trump for example will keep her job. It's not cause for termination. It's not even cause for reprimand or any form of retaliation. And good luck doing my job. Not only could you not code your way out of a paper bag you don't even have a clue what that means. You are not qualified to comment on any one of these fine people's ability to do their job. Just as you are not qualified to comment on mine.

“These positions are political appointments, and require the President to nominate and the Senate to confirm them in these roles. They are not career appointments but of limited term. Of the officers whose resignations were accepted, some will continue in the Foreign Service in other positions, and others will retire by choice or because they have exceeded the time limits of their grade in service.”

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-01-2017, 06:58 AM

Gotta admit, when you're right, you're right. The thread title is - unintentionally - misleading.

The BBC article that I linked to doesn't mention about the tradition of submitting letters of resignation.

Mea culpa.
27-01-2017, 07:54 AM

I'm calling bullshit.
Here's how I think it went. They submitted their letters of resignation. Trump's ego couldn't take all 4 quitting like that. And so it's been spun as tradition and that he accepted their letters.

From your link:
Quote:"Any implication that that these four people quit is wrong," one senior State Department official said. "These people are loyal to the secretary, the President and to the State Department. There is just not any attempt here to dis the President. People are not quitting and running away in disgust. This is the White House cleaning house."
Must stress large inauguration crowds... must stress he would have won the popular vote if "illegals" hadn't voted... must stress that these 4 aren't quitting...

All 3 are lies. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
27-01-2017, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 09:15 AM by GirlyMan.)
(26-01-2017 08:25 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  They were asked to leave. Fired.

And yet they still wake up in the morning, get dressed (far more casually now, it's shorts and t-shirt time), go to the same place they've worked for years and receive the same nice pay with far less responsibilities. Where do I sign up to get "fired"?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post