Top security clearance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Top security clearance
Do we have anyone here who knows exactly what that means? Does it give access to top military secrets and the like?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: Top security clearance
(15-11-2016 07:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  Do we have anyone here who knows exactly what that means? Does it give access to top military secrets and the like?

Not just any old military secret. The "need to know" still exists even with TS. Information is compartmentalized (Sensitive Compartmentalized Information). A TS clearance is necessary for access to SCI but not sufficient. They also need to be read onto the program. Sys admins like Snowden and Manning possessed TS but were likely not read onto any program. But as sysadmins it's very difficult to keep it away from them.

#sigh
15-11-2016, 08:39 AM
(15-11-2016 08:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 07:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  Do we have anyone here who knows exactly what that means? Does it give access to top military secrets and the like?

Not just any old military secret. The "need to know" still exists even with TS. Information is compartmentalized (Sensitive Compartmentalized Information). A TS clearance is necessary for access to SCI but not sufficient. They also need to be read onto the program. Sys admins like Snowden and Manning possessed TS but were likely not read onto any program. But as sysadmins it's very difficult to keep it away from them.

Well, Trump applied for top security clearance for his adult kids. While they run his businesses. Isn't that all wrong? Isn't that like insider info on the stock market, an unfair advantage for the Trump biz? I don't know what the regulations are there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-11-2016, 08:53 AM
(15-11-2016 08:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 08:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not just any old military secret. The "need to know" still exists even with TS. Information is compartmentalized (Sensitive Compartmentalized Information). A TS clearance is necessary for access to SCI but not sufficient. They also need to be read onto the program. Sys admins like Snowden and Manning possessed TS but were likely not read onto any program. But as sysadmins it's very difficult to keep it away from them.

Well, Trump applied for top security clearance for his adult kids. While they run his businesses. Isn't that all wrong? Isn't that like insider info on the stock market, an unfair advantage for the Trump biz? I don't know what the regulations are there.

He knows very well that he won't be able to control what he says in front of them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-11-2016, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2016 09:08 AM by GirlyMan.)
(15-11-2016 08:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not just any old military secret. The "need to know" still exists even with TS. Information is compartmentalized (Sensitive Compartmentalized Information). A TS clearance is necessary for access to SCI but not sufficient. They also need to be read onto the program. Sys admins like Snowden and Manning possessed TS but were likely not read onto any program. But as sysadmins it's very difficult to keep it away from them.

There's nothing wrong with applying for the clearance. Companies (esp. defense contractors) do it on behalf of employees all the time. The clearance itself doesn't give access to anything. What it does do, as unfoggable suggested, is to minimize the risk of spillage when Trump goes bragging about nuking Syria and whatnot. If everyone who heard it has a TS clearance no spillage occurred. It also costs like over $100K, requires numerous polygraphs, unannounced pee tests, and a background check which reaches into your past farther than you can even remember. "Oh yeah, I forgot about that time I burned a cross into the black neighbor's lawn when I was 13." It's not something you really want unless you really have a need to know. You are in essence turning your entire life over to The Man for inspection and review. And The Man don't like to see things like bankruptcies or other sticky financial wickets.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-11-2016, 09:07 AM
(15-11-2016 08:53 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 08:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, Trump applied for top security clearance for his adult kids. While they run his businesses. Isn't that all wrong? Isn't that like insider info on the stock market, an unfair advantage for the Trump biz? I don't know what the regulations are there.

He knows very well that he won't be able to control what he says in front of them.

If that's a criteria, we all need top security clearance. Tongue

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
15-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Top secret security clearances are not uncommon. From the president to any national guard soldier who happens to be in a field that requires one, even if they only do that job two days per month and work in unrelated civilian jobs the rest of the time.

As GirlyMan said, it doesn't necessarily give you free reign to go look at top secret shit without reason. Try to enter a SCIF with your clearance and your name doesn't show up on the system when the MP scans that badge, and you'll quickly find yourself on the ground with a knee in the small of your back and a gun to your head while they figure out what you're doing there.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
15-11-2016, 01:29 PM

I think I understand what you are asking, insider trading issues.

I assume the Trumpdashians do have investments in the equity markets and could easily parlay secret information into trades that front run the public's knowledge.

I'm very curious to see how the State Department handles all of this.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-11-2016, 01:36 PM
(15-11-2016 01:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 08:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, Trump applied for top security clearance for his adult kids. While they run his businesses. Isn't that all wrong? Isn't that like insider info on the stock market, an unfair advantage for the Trump biz? I don't know what the regulations are there.

I think I understand what you are asking, insider trading issues.

I assume the Trumpdashians do have investments in the equity markets and could easily parlay secret information into trades that front run the public's knowledge.

I'm very curious to see how the State Department handles all of this.

And what about the SEC?

#sigh
15-11-2016, 02:13 PM
(15-11-2016 01:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And what about the SEC?

What about it? Obama signed The Stock Act into law in 2012 to try to stop insider trading by congress and other government employees. When the SEC actually tried to open an insider trading investigation into a staffer congress basically told them "Separation of powers. Fuck off!" and got away with it. Why should the executive branch be any different than congress as far being exempt from the rules goes?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]