Topic for my presentation in religion classes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 01:39 PM by Vosur.)
Hey folks,

in today's religion classes, we discussed the "Five Ways" (aka five proofs for god) of Thomas Aquinas. My teacher was quite surprised when I told her that I already knew them and could rebuttal them as well. She asked me where I learned about it and I told her that I have been on a forum called "The Thinking Atheist" for a few months. The exercise she gave us was to find counter arguments and "weak points" in his line of argumentation. Needless to say that it wasn't much of a problem. For some reason she knew neither about infinite regress, nor about logical fallacies such as special pleading. Welp, who knows what the requirements for becoming a religion teacher are.

That being said, my teacher proceeded by asking us if someone would like to hold a presentation about famous atheists which caused me and a friend of mine to raise our arms. Fortunately, we were the only ones interested in doing so. The question is, who am I supposed to present to my course? My current choice would be Christopher Hitchens, but I need more than one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2012, 09:25 AM
RE: Topic for my presentation in religion classes
How about Ehrman. He's also scripture scholar.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Go back to one of the seminal atheists of the 20th century: Bertrand Russell.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Saul of Tarsus, obviously. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Holbach. Dude is christopher hitchens in the past.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
30-08-2012, 04:40 PM
(30-08-2012 04:03 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Holbach. Dude is christopher hitchens in the past.

... and image if youtube had been around at the time of Robert Green Ingersoll
(he called himself an agnostic but your teacher probably wouldn't know the difference)

30-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Why not start with an historical chain of evolution before focusing on one:
From Luceretius and Epicurus
Through Omar Khayyam, Thomas Hobbes, Spinoza, David Hume, Percy Bysshe Shelley, John Stuart Mill, Karl Marx, Mark Twain, Robert Green Ingersoll, H L Mencken, George Orwell, Russell, Einstein, Carl Sagan, Douglas Adams, Hitch
To the living ones: Dennett, Dawkins, Salman Rushdie, Penn Jillette, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Brad Pitt, Adam Savage (from Mythbusters) and finish with TTA himself

Just show the best quotes from the early ones and youtube clips from the later ones.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
31-08-2012, 03:05 AM
I wonder why your religion teacher teaches the class to refute these things....

Do they have to be old or dead, may they be alive as well?
Aaron Ra (Texas), Matt Dillahunty (Texas), Tracy Harris (Texas), Russel Glasser (Texas), Cristina Rad (Romanian), Michael Nugent (Ireland)
there is also a great and funny song "What would Jesus do" by The Axis of Awesome, maybe you wanna intigrate it somehow.
Also here a link that I got from the Atheist Ireland Feed on Facebook: http://www.michaelnugent.com/2012/08/29/...tening-to/

When I did presentations back then at school, I would always include something at the end, that does not close but keep the topic open for people to think. With a phrase, a quote, a song...
Reinhard Mey "Das Narrenschiff":
"Man hat sich glattgemacht, man hat sich arrangiert, all die hohen Ideale sind havariert,und der grosse Rebell, der nicht muede wurde zu Streiten, mutiert zu einem servilen, giftigen Gnom,und singt lammfromm vor dem schlimmen alten Mann in Rom seine Lieder, fuerwahr! Es aendern sich die Zeiten."
(Google and me are too dumb to translate this in a way it would make sense in English, sorry)

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. The atheists I'm going to present should be recent ones, i.e. 20/21th century. Additionally, the presentation must have a minimum length of 15 minutes and a maximum length of 20 minutes, which basically excludes video material.
03-09-2012, 02:02 PM
(03-09-2012 12:27 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Thanks for the input, guys. The atheists I'm going to present should be recent ones, i.e. 20/21th century. Additionally, the presentation must have a minimum length of 15 minutes and a maximum length of 20 minutes, which basically excludes video material.

Sounds like a hefty presentation. Might be prudent to keep it to just a couple of guys that contrast. That way there will be a distinct focus on the movement itself as having an actual positive future. Thumbsup

If you've not run across Roberto Unger, you might want to check him out. I'm not entirely certain if he's an Atheist or not, but he has a distinctly positive view of an atheistic movement toward the future. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.