Topic for my presentation in religion classes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 07:43 PM by Humakt.)
RE: Topic for my presentation in religion classes
(30-08-2012 04:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Why not start with an historical chain of evolution before focusing on one:
From Luceretius and Epicurus
Through Omar Khayyam, Thomas Hobbes, Spinoza, David Hume, Percy Bysshe Shelley, John Stuart Mill, Karl Marx, Mark Twain, Robert Green Ingersoll, H L Mencken, George Orwell, Russell, Einstein, Carl Sagan, Douglas Adams, Hitch
To the living ones: Dennett, Dawkins, Salman Rushdie, Penn Jillette, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Brad Pitt, Adam Savage (from Mythbusters) and finish with TTA himself

Just show the best quotes from the early ones and youtube clips from the later ones.

Never mind, for a report, thats a pretty good reading list, atheism aside.

As for an atheist to present, Marie curie, although she was agnostic. Close enough for religion class.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 12:06 AM
I would say AronRa and the like are only famous in our circles. It would be good to choose someone that everyone has heard of and already thinks is "cool," and/or well respected. You could probably find a list of celebrity atheists online.
Incredibly articulate and eloquent atheists that present undeniable logic would include Chris Hitchens and Robert G Ingersoll (a true master; you can find free lectures and writings by him on iTunes). See also Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain. Brilliant.
You might include people, like Einstein, that people mistakenly think are Christian but are not (or Christians wrongly claim for themselves).
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2012, 12:32 AM
socken, I think Einstein was a deist, not an atheist. Or am I mistaken? Also I don't think it should be only people that are generally famous. What he could do is, include some names, just to show that there are famous people who are openly atheist.
But a presentation like that is not only to be cool, it is a part of the lesson, so it should contain information that is new, therefore I would totally include famous atheists that are famous in our circles. AronRa for example is really cool, and Vosur could put a minute of video in, because he does great videos (aronra i mean). Cristina Rad would be great to put in because she is from Romania and an outspoken atheist in a deeply religious country (which for a change is not the US).

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post