Topics to use to steer the dinner conversation 11/24

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Topics to use to steer the dinner conversation 11/24
So when crazy Aunt Zelda starts talking about abortionists on Thanksgiving, what are some ideas to steer the conversation away from the crazy ?

Last year, my little brother and I had a plot ready so when our crazy aunt started in about religion, he said "So Aunt Emily, are you gonna be cracking nuts this year during the holidays, or is that against your family values ?"
(Even my mom burst out laughing).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-11-2016, 01:41 PM
RE: Topics to use to steer the dinner conversation 11/24
My family consists of a bunch of civil servants and government contractors so we're gonna talk about which one of us is more fucked.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Luckily, I'm just having friends over, so things will be mellow. So no crazy dramz from nutty relatives Wink But I like your brother's technique of dealing with the nuttiness with a sense of humor and then changing the subject.
23-11-2016, 01:51 PM
"You're against abortion huh??? Well -- you got some explaining to do to the chickens about that egg nog...."....

That one's always fun.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-11-2016, 01:55 PM
(23-11-2016 01:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So when crazy Aunt Zelda starts talking about abortionists on Thanksgiving, what are some ideas to steer the conversation away from the crazy ?

Not that I’ve tried it but perhaps flash-bang grenades?
The only real life idea is to walk out...with a plate of food of course. Drooling

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-11-2016, 01:59 PM
I'll be spending time with my fiance's grandparents this year and they voted for Trump so it's gonna be pretty fucking awkward but I think we'll just talk about all the stuff that's happened this year to everyone since he has a big family, new jobs, new loves, new future plans, hopefully keep it light and positive.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
23-11-2016, 02:17 PM
(23-11-2016 01:59 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I'll be spending time with my fiance's grandparents this year and they voted for Trump so it's gonna be pretty fucking awkward but I think we'll just talk about all the stuff that's happened this year to everyone since he has a big family, new jobs, new loves, new future plans, hopefully keep it light and positive.

If you really want to score points -- ask if you're replacing hugs with a straight armed salute...........

But only if you're really, really bored....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Henry Higgins gives instructions to Eliza Doolittle in the Ascot scene from the musical My Fair Lady, "only speak of the weather and everybody's health." I think this might still be good advice.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-11-2016, 02:26 PM
(23-11-2016 02:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Henry Higgins gives instructions to Eliza Doolittle in the Ascot scene from the musical My Fair Lady, "only speak of the weather and everybody's health." I think this might still be good advice.

But of course the weather conversation quickly breaks down into an argument about global warming.... (just add alcohol)

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Well, there's probably no shortage of things that could be discussed about the new president-erect.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.