Tornado!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Tornado!
It's getting to be that time of year again in the Midwest USA - where tornadoes are a fact of life.

I've never seen one - but once calmly sat at my kitchen table while one went by about 100 yards south of my house. Made a hell of a racket and wiped out a bunch of trees.

People like to say that they're "An Act of God".

Whatever.........

God must really hate trailer parks............

But you know what I'd really like to see?

A tornado narrowly missing a check cashing business, a couple of bars and a strip club - then wiping out a series of churches...........

Bet they won't show that bit of irony on the 6 o'clock news.....

What's your twister tale??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-04-2015, 01:38 PM
RE: Tornado!
I've been stranded outside of a locked library during a tornado. My buddy an I were about 15, and we were seriously considering taking out the windows to get inside. Tornadoes used to terrify me as a kid. Never ghosts or monsters, but tornadoes and aliens. They seemed like a more reasonable fear to have.
[+] 3 users Like Exian's post
09-04-2015, 07:30 PM
We don't get tornados here (well I tell a lie, there was a random one in Auckland a couple years back that took a couple roofs off. They never happen so it made the news.), we just get earthquakes (though not in the city I live in) occasionally. In the last city I lived in we got them all the time, only little ones mind you but occasionally (like once a year) there would be a semi-big one that would smash windows. They feel weird at first but you get used to them. The city is actually built on a plate that is constantly moving, so technically there's a continuous earthquake going over most that region.

I'll take my earthquakes over tornados any day though. You can sit through an earthquake and survive, not so much if you get swept up inside a tornado.
09-04-2015, 07:49 PM
(09-04-2015 07:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'll take my earthquakes over tornados any day though. You can sit through an earthquake and survive, not so much if you get swept up inside a tornado.

Tornadoes are scary for you 'cause one could take you to Oz. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-04-2015, 09:50 PM
(09-04-2015 07:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 07:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'll take my earthquakes over tornados any day though. You can sit through an earthquake and survive, not so much if you get swept up inside a tornado.

Tornadoes are scary for you 'cause one could take you to Oz. Big Grin

wtf I don't live in Kan- ohhhhhh.. very true. Australia is a scary place, everything will fucking kill you and there's Aussies there.
09-04-2015, 11:20 PM
April 2011. One of the scariest days of my life. I evacuated my house after the third tornado warning by 9 am - I could hear it. About an hour after I left the house, an EF5 missed my house by a quarter mile (it wiped brick houses plum off the foundation leaving nothing but debris covered slabs), and two more followed the EXACT same path very shortly after and caught people as they were trying to rescue neighbors. At one point in the evening, the only radio station still broadcasting (a lot of towers in the area were destroyed) that we could pick up, said - "there are multiple areas of circulation in every county. If you can hear this, take cover." At the time we didn't have a sufficient shelter in the family. We went to my great aunt's house who had a cellar. Unfortunately as soon as the power went out the pumps failed and started to flood it. And there were exposed electrical wires. If we had been down in the cellar with a tornado, we would have been trapped, upstairs and the ginormous oak tree would have been a projectile through the house. My husband was in Birmingham and sought refuge in his hotel stairwell.

The tornado threat was over laaaate that night. I really didn't think I had a house left - I don't know how many tornados passed my house that day. When we got the all clear and drove out to check on my home, I could see houses burning in the distance lighting up the night sky. We just had some very minor roof damage, flooding, fence damage, and debris to pick up. We regained power about two weeks later.

Oh. So Huntsville is the most tornado prone city in the US. And stupid me bought a house that was right in the typical path of those fuckers.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
10-04-2015, 12:17 AM
(09-04-2015 01:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's getting to be that time of year again in the Midwest USA - where tornadoes are a fact of life.

I've never seen one - but once calmly sat at my kitchen table while one went by about 100 yards south of my house. Made a hell of a racket and wiped out a bunch of trees.

People like to say that they're "An Act of God".

Whatever.........

God must really hate trailer parks............

But you know what I'd really like to see?

A tornado narrowly missing a check cashing business, a couple of bars and a strip club - then wiping out a series of churches...........

Bet they won't show that bit of irony on the 6 o'clock news.....

What's your twister tale??

I've seen two. The first was outside Memphis, TN at the end of summer 1985 -- I watched it from the porch from about 1/2 mile away, until it started dropping frogs and ears of corn around the house -- at that point I went into the bathroom and didn't come out for a while.

The other, I was driving from SoCal to DFW to report at my first duty station in the Air Force, July 1989. Crossing the bootheel of New Mexico on I-10, I saw a twister ahead of me, south of the border and looking to be headed our way. I was driving my first car, my trusty 73 Toyota Corolla 4-speed 4-banger, and loaded with everything I owned -- a couple of amps, three guitars, six or so milk-crates full of books -- and the car was light on the front wheels, and maxed out at around 75mph. Had that little 1600cc engine sweating to beat the band, and the funnel, but we did it. Once I knew I was safely ahead of its path, I pulled off to the shoulder and watched the twister from a few miles away, the heavy rain mingling with about an hour's worth of serious sweat on my shirt.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
10-04-2015, 02:03 AM
We live in PA and while not part of the Midwest's tornado alley, in the part of PA I'm in, we have our own "mini alley". I've seen about five from a distance. They all made the news. Our local storm chasing team lives in the next small town over (four lights away) and they are very busy during this time of year, venturing out in our area to record tornadoes and whatnot.
10-04-2015, 05:54 AM
(09-04-2015 11:20 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Oh. So Huntsville is the most tornado prone city in the US. And stupid me bought a house that was right in the typical path of those fuckers.

Let me guess. Harvest?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
10-04-2015, 06:11 AM
(09-04-2015 07:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  We don't get tornados here (well I tell a lie, there was a random one in Auckland a couple years back that took a couple roofs off. They never happen so it made the news.), we just get earthquakes (though not in the city I live in) occasionally. In the last city I lived in we got them all the time, only little ones mind you but occasionally (like once a year) there would be a semi-big one that would smash windows. They feel weird at first but you get used to them. The city is actually built on a plate that is constantly moving, so technically there's a continuous earthquake going over most that region.

I'll take my earthquakes over tornados any day though. You can sit through an earthquake and survive, not so much if you get swept up inside a tornado.

I lived in California and Alaska for a number of years - so I've been through multiple minor earthquakes. The worst one - I was on a reservoir dike (man made) on my motorcycle when it started. I thought I had a wheel bearing going out - but when I stopped everything kept shaking. Hell of a weird feeling. I figured being on that section of dike wasn't a great place to be in a quake - but trying to ride on a moving surface seemed pretty contrary as well........

I guess where ever you are, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Living is a dangerous proposition.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.