Tornadoes in OK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2013, 04:10 PM
RE: Tornadoes in OK
Yea - so far two were killed in Shawnee yesterday - most of that town, a suburb area of Oklahoma City, was leveled. Trailer parks and tornados... never a good combination.

The thing is, when you live here in the plains, you kind of know what's up and how to deal with it. Uh, unless you're an idiot and really need to get a video of it for YouTube or something... then you might get killed. Dodgy mostly for being a dip shit

But rest assured...
We have spotters out 24-7 this time of year and we've been testing our sirens since January ... we've always done it... since the late 60s. Before that time, hundreds of people would get killed in single storms while now, it's down to dozens or even less for the entire tornado/storm season. Yes, the really bad ones come at night but even then, we are publicly notified to keep alert and keep a radio at hand. We know not to fuck with this... and if we don't know, then we're fucked.

I say this now... because ... I get to go drive a big truck right into the middle of it for the next 4 hours - HOOORAY! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2013, 04:26 PM
stay safe kim, and others in its path.

why doesn't the school have a basement??

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
20-05-2013, 04:31 PM

This was Saturday in Rozel Kansas, near where my family's farm is. It can give you an idea of what goes on. Yesterday (Sunday) was pretty much like this in my area but the tornado was more out in the country, kind of like this one in the video.

Now, imagine what happens when this (tornado) goes into a city and picks up tons of debris and throws it all around and breaks up structures; it's like being placed in a giant blender with a bunch of other crap.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-05-2013, 04:36 PM
(20-05-2013 04:10 PM)kim Wrote:  Yea - so far two were killed in Shawnee yesterday - most of that town, a suburb area of Oklahoma City, was leveled. Trailer parks and tornados... never a good combination.

The thing is, when you live here in the plains, you kind of know what's up and how to deal with it. Uh, unless you're an idiot and really need to get a video of it for YouTube or something... then you might get killed. Dodgy mostly for being a dip shit

But rest assured...
We have spotters out 24-7 this time of year and we've been testing our sirens since January ... we've always done it... since the late 60s. Before that time, hundreds of people would get killed in single storms while now, it's down to dozens or even less for the entire tornado/storm season. Yes, the really bad ones come at night but even then, we are publicly notified to keep alert and keep a radio at hand. We know not to fuck with this... and if we don't know, then we're fucked.

I say this now... because ... I get to go drive a big truck right into the middle of it for the next 4 hours - HOOORAY! Thumbsup

Stay safe!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-05-2013, 04:38 PM
(20-05-2013 03:56 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 03:44 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  damn...schoolkids took a direct hit. ugh. I feel sick.

75 children in that school - totally demolished by an EF-5!

That motherfucker was 2 miles wide!

Sadcryface I have no words.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-05-2013, 04:42 PM
(20-05-2013 04:26 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  why doesn't the school have a basement??

Some schools do - depends when they were built. Also, kids are instructed where to go - to an interior, away from windows, etc.,. That one in OK just happened about a couple of hours ago - they are probably just now getting around to the wreckage. They will probably have rescue helping to pull people out for several hours.

I'm surprised there were kids in school at all today - most should be out for the summer by now. Several graduations took place on Saturday for high schools and colleges throughout the state of Kansas.

I just heard the medical center in Moore OK was hit and disabled. Moore had a huge one a few years ago in May - that was a hideous disaster - many dead.

20-05-2013, 04:48 PM
In about an hour, I'll head to Wichita and I am kind of curious to see the damage there from yesterday's tornado. I don't expect too much, really - they always have horrible wind in Wichita... any day of the year.

No worries - I'm always safe - I know where all the bad wind areas are. Thumbsup

20-05-2013, 05:54 PM
(20-05-2013 04:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 03:56 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  75 children in that school - totally demolished by an EF-5!

That motherfucker was 2 miles wide!

Sadcryface I have no words.

Unfortunately 24 of those kids are confirmed dead.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
20-05-2013, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 06:20 PM by TheGulegon.)
I always wondered why people live in Kansas. If not for the treeless, endlessly flat terrain then for the Tornado Alley thing; you can fall asleep driving across that!! The weather here was crazy last night & the news (as always Dodgy ) kept up the get in your basement thing. We've never been hit here, but I slept in the basement with the radio on, anyway. Better safe than sorry.
Damn is that from this latest OK tornado; those kids? That's awful!!! Get these schools some basements, or one special room that's super-reinforced!! 24 kids WTF Sad Did the sirens fail?

20-05-2013, 06:55 PM
(20-05-2013 06:10 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I always wondered why people live in Kansas. If not for the treeless, endlessly flat terrain then for the Tornado Alley thing; you can fall asleep driving across that!! The weather here was crazy last night & the news (as always Dodgy ) kept up the get in your basement thing. We've never been hit here, but I slept in the basement with the radio on, anyway. Better safe than sorry.
Damn is that from this latest OK tornado; those kids? That's awful!!! Get these schools some basements, or one special room that's super-reinforced!! 24 kids WTF Sad Did the sirens fail?

The sirens did sound. The children too shelter in the hallways of the building. The problem is a 2-mile wide EF-5 tornado with wind speeds over 200mph will smash even the toughest buildings into rubble. There was nothing they could do.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post