Tornadoes in OK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2013, 07:07 PM
RE: Tornadoes in OK
From the reports I heard, the 4th,5th,and 6th grade students were evacuated to a nearby church before it hit. The kids left in the school were the kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

ALL public buildings should have a basement in these states. I hope the new building codes reflect that.

Homes on the coast have special regulations for hurricanes for wind resistance. Homes in California have special codes for earthquakes. Homes in Tornado Alley states should have special codes for tornado basement shelters. no excuses.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-05-2013, 07:21 PM
(20-05-2013 07:07 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  From the reports I heard, the 4th,5th,and 6th grade students were evacuated to a nearby church before it hit. The kids left in the school were the kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

ALL public buildings should have a basement in these states. I hope the new building codes reflect that.

Homes on the coast have special regulations for hurricanes for wind resistance. Homes in California have special codes for earthquakes. Homes in Tornado Alley states should have special codes for tornado basement shelters. no excuses.

My guess is if you tried to impose those regulations on most of the states in Tornado Alley the immediate response from the state legislatures would be "Oh noz, they trying to take away our gunz agin!"

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Heard over 50 died. Including a bunch of kids. Sooo sad. Sad

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-05-2013, 10:39 PM
(20-05-2013 04:42 PM)kim Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 04:26 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  why doesn't the school have a basement??

Some schools do - depends when they were built. Also, kids are instructed where to go - to an interior, away from windows, etc.,. That one in OK just happened about a couple of hours ago - they are probably just now getting around to the wreckage. They will probably have rescue helping to pull people out for several hours.

I'm surprised there were kids in school at all today - most should be out for the summer by now. Several graduations took place on Saturday for high schools and colleges throughout the state of Kansas.

I just heard the medical center in Moore OK was hit and disabled. Moore had a huge one a few years ago in May - that was a hideous disaster - many dead.

Not so much the when as the where. Closer to the equator, we don't have need of building basements because the permafrost isn't six foot deep. In fact, where I live, it just isn't. So we can get a good, solid foundation only a few feet deep.

As for the tornadoes... wow. We just had a pretty bad one veer off our path just in the nick of time last week.

A friend and I were on the phone today sharing war stories about rent houses and construction jobs and when the topic of conversation came to these storms, we decided we were damn lucky to have the trivial problems we have. Sadcryface

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
20-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Here's the Moore tornado as seen from Newcastle about 10 minutes outside Moore.

Local hospitals report at least 145 injuries, 70 of them children.

Of the 51 confirmed deaths, seven were children, according to an Oklahoma City police spokesperson. Those numbers are expected to rise. A spokesperson for the Oklahoma City medical examiner reportedly told a news journalist that she's expecting the bodies of 20 children.

Tonight when I got to Wichita, I could see this storm looming over the south end of the city... it was 161 Miles away and it still looked like a huge mountain range!

This was a big one.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-05-2013, 11:24 PM
(20-05-2013 11:06 PM)kim Wrote:  Here's the Moore tornado as seen from Newcastle about 10 minutes outside Moore.

Local hospitals report at least 145 injuries, 70 of them children.

Of the 51 confirmed deaths, seven were children, according to an Oklahoma City police spokesperson. Those numbers are expected to rise. A spokesperson for the Oklahoma City medical examiner reportedly told a news journalist that she's expecting the bodies of 20 children.

Tonight when I got to Wichita, I could see this storm looming over the south end of the city... it was 161 Miles away and it still looked like a huge mountain range!

This was a big one.

I hope everyone, yourself included, all stay very safe. It's gotta be scary!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

21-05-2013, 07:17 AM
(20-05-2013 07:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Heard over 50 died. Including a bunch of kids. Sooo sad. Sad

It is sad; terribly so. 20 kids stripped of their lives due to the capreciousness of nature.

I suppose the "anti-tornadoe" forces will now mount an effort to ban tornadoes!

To lose a child - for whatever reason - is the worst calamity a parent can suffer. My thoughts are with them.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!"
21-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Tragic. The idea of people -- especially kids -- losing their lives like this is unfathomably heart-rending and just goes to show the absurdity of existence. I wish I could go down there and help people.
21-05-2013, 08:14 AM
He posted on the facebook page and him and his family are safe.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
21-05-2013, 08:19 AM
The moment I posted last night, the site server went down and I couldn't get back on. I tried to post something addressing today's clean up - this one will take a while - they are still looking for people.

I went over and volunteered in Joplin MO two years ago - it was like a fucking war zone or worse. I recall looking through a pile of tooth picks that used to be a house. The churning in that one must have been just unreal. There were 161 deaths in that one.

I just read that a dozen public safety employees from Joplin, are headed to Moore to assist. That's good - the organization that took place there really expedited the cleanup.
If anyone is interested, here's a link to help out.

Some better news: I just heard on the radio the death toll has been reduced to 24 - 7 were children ... they evidently did a double count. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post