Tornados; have you seen one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Tornados; have you seen one?
You may not believe this, but here in Norway, in very rare cases, we acually do get tornados aswell. Back in 2001, I was 6 then, 15'th of November, a tornado acually passed by our house. It barely hit the fujita scale (a so called "baby tornado"), but it was powerful enough to tear down trees, houses and even barns.

Since I was six I don't remember too much, but I don't think I have ever been so scared before. When it came around it was mid-day and clear weather. In the matter of seconds, it became dark as night had falled, and I couldn't even shut the door I was looking out of. That was all I saw of it; me and my sisters took refuge in the cellar, while my parents and grandparents were outside trying to shut all doors and salvage any equipment. I took less than 20 mintues, and it was over. The day after the entire forest behind our house was a mess of broken trees ripped up by their roots. Still, at least we did get as unlucky as this guy:
[Image: M04Tornado0408.jpg]

Since the majority of members here are american, I guess there is a chance you too have seen one or more. Would be awesome read about it, I've been captivated with this weather fenomna ever since that day back in 2001.

Some pics and vids would be cool if you have it

Other norwegian tornados in the spoiler
[Image: M04Skypumpe0408.jpg]

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/vaer/artikkel.p...d=10026687
Video translation:
- "That's the first time I've ever seen something that looks like it. Like, one of those that go almost all the way down to the ground. Looks like dragging up some from the sea?
- "Over there? It's probably just casual rainfall"

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 12:22 PM
RE: Tornados; have you seen one?
I've only seen one in my lifetime and it was super tiny. Screwed up a few power lines and that was about it.

I live on the East coast and It's really a middle America thing....lots flat open land out there for warm fronts to hit cold fronts and suck up you dog toto and his little trailer too.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I think over water, it's called a "water spout", not a tornado.
I have seen some starting to form. A huge storm was rolling in, up at my cousins in MN, and we were in an office tower. We saw the baby tornadoes form, and drop down a little and go back up, go back down, and up a few times ... like about 5 all together in the storm cloud line. One eventually came all the way down, but the building blocked our line of site for that one. Very cool.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-07-2013, 03:07 PM
(28-07-2013 02:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think over water, it's called a "water spout", not a tornado.

I know it changes name when it's over water, I just haven't looked into the english word for it.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
28-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Never seen one in person, but when I lived in Tulsa, you would hear the tornado warning sirens often when the severe thunderstorms moved through the area in the springtime.

I have also seen the damage that Tornadoes can do. I drove through Tuscalosa, AL during the spring of 2011 and the southeast sections of that town looked like a warzone. Utter devastation. There is also a section along I-16 near the GA State Prison in Jackson where a mile wide swathe was cut by an EF-4 there in 2011. Full grown pine and fir trees were snapped in two at their base as if they were toothpicks.

That's something you don't want to mess with.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
28-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Nope don't want to either--it's rare that they happen around here. But they do. We had a warning a few years ago. The sky looked weird.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

28-07-2013, 07:40 PM
We get a shit load of them down in the south. About 5 years ago, when I was in the 7th grade, a tornado tore down my Junior High School. As we waited for the repairs, we had to take classes in little, AC-less tailors outside of our district's high school. Sad
28-07-2013, 07:43 PM
It's a toss up to me as to which is more scary. Earthquakes or Tornados. I think with tornadoes at least you get a little warning....

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

28-07-2013, 07:53 PM
It is pretty rare for one to make it to my parts as well...but, about the same time where you had one, we had five (if memory serves). They usually don't make it over the mountain, don't know what happened that day. There weren't too many deaths, but in a low population area it was still a reasonably significant event. We had minimal damage to our property, but our family wasn't as lucky. Roofs gone, my uncle's porch roof went through his car, etc. It was probably the biggest event in recent history to ever happen to my town. I saw one of the tornadoes, but I wasn't really scared. Perhaps I should have been though.

Here is the aftermath.

[Image: carsoverturned.jpg]

28-07-2013, 08:02 PM
(28-07-2013 07:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The sky looked weird.

Yup. It gets green (sometimes). Very weird.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post