Tornados; have you seen one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: Tornados; have you seen one?
I don't remember actually seeing the funnel, but when I was real young one hit real close to us on our way home. All I remember was my dad stopping the truck, and jumping out to lift this young tree, or downed tree limb (whichever it was) that had fallen on the road out of the way so we could continue. And he moved like lightning! That man was on a fucking MISSION!!! Me & my younger brother weren't scared of the weather, though I knew something was wrong with the sky and small debris was flying by occasionally in the horrific wind; we were scared because of how my dad was acting. It was the only time I can remember ever seeing my father truly frightened! But we made it home, obviously.

Several years after we moved to KC, MO another one hit and destroyed my childhood home. It also destroyed my grandmother's house who lived in the next house down. Lifted it up right off it's foundation so cleanly that the first bit of rubble that could be recognized as part of her former home was found a good 50-100 yards from where it once stood. My older brother was living in our old house, but luckily neither one of them were home when this happened. No longer having any reason to keep it, my parents sold the land soon after. Gawdamn tornadoes. That was 25 acres of awesomeness, and privacy gone in a day Angry

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 08:33 PM
(28-07-2013 08:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 07:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The sky looked weird.

Yup. It gets green (sometimes). Very weird.

Yes!!!! It had a weird hue to it and the clouds looked grey/pink (it wasnt near sunset either).

We don't have any sirens here, the EBS broke in saying to take cover.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Holy shit, can't believe I've missed this one

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
A few weeks ago I was staying in an Alpine chalet in Austria that was half way up the mountain. One evening we had a massive thunderstorm and I watched in shock as a funnel descended from the cloud to sweep over the mountain ridge across the valley. Although it was thin and wispy, you could see there was a much wider area of rotating air around it that I wouldn't like to have gotten anywhere near.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
(08-08-2013 02:09 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  A few weeks ago I was staying in an Alpine chalet in Austria that was half way up the mountain. One evening we had a massive thunderstorm and I watched in shock as a funnel descended from the cloud to sweep over the mountain ridge across the valley. Although it was thin and wispy, you could see there was a much wider area of rotating air around it that I wouldn't like to have gotten anywhere near.

That's pretty amazing, and far as I know, very rare.
But this seems to explain it:
http://www.tordach.org/at/Tornado_climat...stria.html

[Image: 9f6.gif]
08-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Back in my high school days one summer we were out at the lake fishing when the radio reported several tornados spotted in ours and the surrounding counties. So we loaded up the beer and set out to see one. Luckily we caught up with and tailed some storm spotters and ended up just a couple of miles from a tornado.

By the time we got there it had roped out pretty good and stretched from the ground all the way across about half the sky up over our heads making a couple of odd twists and turns along the way. It only lasted three or four minutes before disappearing, but it was neat to see in real life.

Then a few years ago one ripped through our town one night while we hunkered in the basement. It took a path directly at us, but at about a quarter mile away it jumped off the top of a hill and never set back down. It wasn't until the day after that we knew how close it came.

I've lived in Kansas most of my life and those are my only close brushes with a twister.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post