Torture/Enhanced Interrogation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Torture/Enhanced Interrogation
I've seen a lot of discussion here lately about morality and ethics and what, if anything, our basis for these might be as atheists. Are there any constants or is it all relative?

Anyway, what's your take on torture and enhanced interrogation? Is it moral? Is it justified? Is it effective? How do you feel about the congressional report that's being released on all these juicy CIA practices?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: Torture/Enhanced Interrogation
I swear your honour I didn't rape that woman! It was simply "Enhanced flirting"!

"A witty quote means nothing"
[+] 4 users Like tear151's post
09-12-2014, 03:50 PM
It's not in our best interests. Big Grin
09-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Pablo - enhanced interrogation isn't in our best interest? Or releasing the report isn't in our best interest?
09-12-2014, 03:55 PM
(09-12-2014 03:51 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Pablo - enhanced interrogation isn't in our best interest? Or releasing the report isn't in our best interest?

That's a bit of quality banta aimed in my direction, think nothing of it.

Just remember pablo

Banta rhymes with Fanta and Fanta was made for nazi Germany

Coincidence? Yes.

"A witty quote means nothing"
[+] 1 user Likes tear151's post
09-12-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 04:05 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
I havent really thought about this topic too much, and maybe I watch too much tv, or I am just really naeive or uneducated on it, who knows, but my two cents is that its only effective when the person isnt fully commited to the crime or the information they have.

If a person is willing to die rather than spill the info, then it won't work.

But if they have some reason to live, a loved one, not committed to die for a cause then they can be manipulated/tortured/enhanced into spilling.

moral or ethical ? not in my book. tempting for those on military front lines- probably so. Could I see myself taking part ?- not in a miliatry world fighting over corporate interests, but to rescue a kidnapped kid or a catch a pedofile or child abuser- I would lose my sympathy/ethics/morals in a minute.

I have serious issues with those who prey on the smallest and weakest members of society (children, elderly, disabled). I have no mercy for those that abuse those groups, they are a waste of good clean air and I would prefer to rid the planet of them.

ok, time for a glass of wine.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
09-12-2014, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 11:40 PM by Nurse.)
Torture is unconstitutional. It was once a frequently used method of interrogation, and was found to be an unreliable source of information. A person under severe duress will say just about anything to get it to stop.

The detainment of an innocent individual to be used as leverage is morally incomprehensible.

I'm pissed off about the manipulation of the public - I remember the information leaks, Americans were terrified of future attacks and it was presented in such a manner for most to conclude that the end justified the means, and that anyone in disagreement was a hippy tree hugger that had no concept of how to win a war and protect national security. I'm pissed off about the manipulation of the public now - the timing is purely political. I'm also concerned about the release of such information and the danger it presents to current field workers.

Fire the CIA officials responsible as well as those directly involved with the death of a detainee, hold congressional hearings/trials regarding human rights violations, and replace them with people that can do the job with integrity.

I realize inmates and patients are not the same, but we all have our breaking points. I've witnessed the psychological effects of prolonged severe pain and being confined to a room. What does it say about the usefulness of torture if people we are helping develop delirium under better (although that could be debatable) circumstances than detainees?

Edit: this insomnia thing is a bitch. Pretty sure that last sentence/question makes no sense. Damn grammars.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
09-12-2014, 04:21 PM
(09-12-2014 03:51 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Pablo - enhanced interrogation isn't in our best interest? Or releasing the report isn't in our best interest?

I'd go with both.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
09-12-2014, 05:28 PM
It isn't as if anyone doesn't already know what we were doing...with the possible exception of the moron at FOX.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
09-12-2014, 05:42 PM

Enhanced interrogation is not, it's not reliable, we're opening ourselves to the same treatment.
Torture me enough and I'll tell you whatever you wanna hear.

Tear, yea it was a smartassed comment aimed at you.
Unless you're a mod or admin. on this site you don't get to tell others to disregard my comments.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post