Total Solar Eclipse of 21 August

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Total Solar Eclipse of 21 August
I am making curiousness: Is anyone on this forum planning to be in Carbondale IL for the total solar eclipse of 21 August? It would be a fine thing to be able to meet up with some of you fine folks.

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dclarion's post
03-04-2017, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2017 09:44 PM by f stop.)
RE: Total Solar Eclipse of 21 August
(03-04-2017 03:14 PM)dclarion Wrote:  I am making curiousness: Is anyone on this forum planning to be in Carbondale IL for the total solar eclipse of 21 August? It would be a fine thing to be able to meet up with some of you fine folks.
I plan to be in Columbia, MO which is almost directly in the path of maximum totality with a duration only two seconds shorter than Carbondale. I've already made my hotel reservations.

American Atheists will be meeting in North Carolina.

https://www.atheists.org/convention2017/

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
03-04-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm waiting for the official OK when the vacation schedule is posted; deadline for seniority-based vacation requests just closed on Friday, and my request for that week is already in.

Haven't decided where I'm going to be on 08/21, but if I've got the vacation slot I am *so* going. I've been looking forward to another solar eclipse since 02/26/79.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
04-04-2017, 04:13 AM
Unfortunately, we won't be seeing it in Australia. We do get a piss-poor second prize of a partial lunar eclipse on 8 August however. Lift your fucking game God, you old prick. Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
04-04-2017, 05:01 AM
We'll be day-tripping to the Carbondale area from St. Loser. No fixed schedule here yet.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
04-04-2017, 06:13 AM
We were planning on a holiday in America to see the eclipse but then Trump got voted in.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
04-04-2017, 07:22 AM
(04-04-2017 06:13 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  We were planning on a holiday in America to see the eclipse but then Trump got voted in.

Don't worry, the rabid GOPers are tagged and being tracked via GPS. Carbondale is a college town anyway. I hear they allow black people to walk around there after dark.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
04-04-2017, 01:25 PM
I'll be driving from CA up to just north of Eugene, Oregon for viewing, hopefully it should be rather sunny inland (historically it's plenty sunny in August at least).

Anyone from WA planning to drive south?

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
04-04-2017, 05:37 PM
(04-04-2017 05:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  We'll be day-tripping to the Carbondale area from St. Loser. No fixed schedule here yet.

Care to keep in contact? Maybe meet up for a burger and a beer or something?

-- Sheldon Glashow

04-04-2017, 05:39 PM
(03-04-2017 09:55 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I'm waiting for the official OK when the vacation schedule is posted; deadline for seniority-based vacation requests just closed on Friday, and my request for that week is already in.

Haven't decided where I'm going to be on 08/21, but if I've got the vacation slot I am *so* going. I've been looking forward to another solar eclipse since 02/26/79.

Do, please, consider Carbondale. There is another total solar eclipse visible from Carbondale in April 2024, and I'm planning on seeing that one, as well.

-- Sheldon Glashow