Total Solar Eclipse of 21 August

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 05:42 PM
RE: Total Solar Eclipse of 21 August
(03-04-2017 09:41 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 03:14 PM)dclarion Wrote:  I am making curiousness: Is anyone on this forum planning to be in Carbondale IL for the total solar eclipse of 21 August? It would be a fine thing to be able to meet up with some of you fine folks.
I plan to be in Columbia, MO which is almost directly in the path of maximum totality with a duration only two seconds shorter than Carbondale. I've already made my hotel reservations.

American Atheists will be meeting in North Carolina.

https://www.atheists.org/convention2017/

I'm straining my budget on the Carbondale (with a side trip to Chicago) trip. The American Atheists convention is likely a NOGO Sad

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2017, 05:44 PM
(04-04-2017 05:37 PM)dclarion Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 05:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  We'll be day-tripping to the Carbondale area from St. Loser. No fixed schedule here yet.

Care to keep in contact? Maybe meet up for a burger and a beer or something?

We can keep in contact via this thread. Might lure some lurkers into bending an elbow. Thumbsup

We're two hours from Carbondale (at least the way sane people drive.)
04-04-2017, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 09:34 PM by Astreja.)
Carbondale is definitely on the short list. I don't know if I'll come in via Chicago or St. Louis, or if anyone else is coming down from Winnipeg (probably the local Astronomical Society has more than a few interested parties). Funding is in place; I just need the time off now.

By the way, I may be wearing a custom T-shirt:

Once-in-a-lifetime experiences are worth seeing twice.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
05-04-2017, 07:04 PM
I'm going to the American Atheists Convention in Charleston, SC. I love the fact that they scheduled it during the eclipse!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post
11-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Things are moving along nicely! I have the money, I have the time off, I have a valid passport and I now have a place to crash in Carbondale the night before the eclipse.

All that remains now is to make the travel arrangements. Thumbsup

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
11-04-2017, 04:37 PM
(11-04-2017 04:32 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Things are moving along nicely! I have the money, I have the time off, I have a valid passport and I now have a place to crash in Carbondale the night before the eclipse.

All that remains now is to make the travel arrangements. Thumbsup

St. Louis is ~2 hours from Carbondale. Chi-town is at least twice that. And the drive is mind-numbing. Plus you have to get out of Chicago. Lambert field in right on I-70, easy exit.
12-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Was indeed planning to fly into St. Louis, and probably take the train into Carbondale. (Going home, I'm planning to stop off in Chicago to see a couple of museums and just hang out there for a couple of days.)

12-04-2017, 07:01 AM
(12-04-2017 06:58 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Was indeed planning to fly into St. Louis, and probably take the train into Carbondale. (Going home, I'm planning to stop off in Chicago to see a couple of museums and just hang out there for a couple of days.)

If you go to Chi be sure to get a City Pass. You can manage a free museum and good discounts out of it.

And you have to visit Willis Tower. The Sky Box is insane. Gasp
12-04-2017, 10:01 PM
(12-04-2017 06:58 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Was indeed planning to fly into St. Louis, and probably take the train into Carbondale. (Going home, I'm planning to stop off in Chicago to see a couple of museums and just hang out there for a couple of days.)
That involves taking the train from St. Louis north to Chicago and then back south to Carbondale.

https://www.amtrak.com/midwest-train-routes

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2017, 10:19 PM
(12-04-2017 10:01 PM)f stop Wrote:  That involves taking the train from St. Louis north to Chicago and then back south to Carbondale.

That could get... interesting. I suspect I'll be taking the bus, then. Big Grin