Tottenham Riots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Tottenham Riots
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

Ok, this may seem a little extreme, but can anyone explain to me why the police can't just go out and shoot anyone involved in the rioting in the knee? I'm pretty sure that would stop them, might act a deterrent in future as well. Then, when the crowds have dispersed and fled, anyone left behind with a bullet in the knee (and anyone who turns up at hospital as well) gets arrested and the only free medical care they get is having the bullet removed, any sort of anaesthetic, dressing or after-care related to the injury they have to pay for themselves, up front, or they don't receive it.

I know I sound a bit militant here but this kind of thing really fucks me off! For those of you not familiar with the story the riots are over a police shooting. The police attempted to arrest a man but he opened fire on them (one cop was only saved because the bullet hit his radio), they fired back killing him, now the whole community is screaming racism/police brutality. These people are now attacking innocent people in the street, looting and destroying shops (some of them small family-run businesses) and costing the taxpayer millions, how is this protesting the incident? These people are just doing this for enjoyment and profit now! It's also a sad reflection on British society that in these situations the biggest concern of the public seems to be that the police may be too heavy handed and some rioters might get hurt.

Any opinions?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
RE: Tottenham Riots
(08-08-2011 06:08 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Ok, this may seem a little extreme, but can anyone explain to me why the police can't just go out and shoot anyone involved in the rioting in the knee?

Agreed, the people rioting proberly all get benefits. Wasting everyones moneys.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
08-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Because we dont live in a totalitarian state and you can't just do that.
The rioting is completly disgracefull they are hurting ordinary people more that the buisnesses they are targeting.
Give it time the police will move in with tear gas soon enough.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
08-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Ugh... I know what that anger feels like from the riot that was here in Canada just over a month ago.

The protest was for the shooting- the riot is just mob mentality where people who can't think for themselves do shit. Hope the country can pull itself together soon!
08-08-2011, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 06:38 PM by Hughsie.)
(08-08-2011 06:17 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Because we dont live in a totalitarian state and you can't just do that.

But why?

Protecting innocent people from widespread destruction, looting and violence is completely different to killing peaceful protesters or banning opposition parties.

Why can't we FORCE these people from the streets and put enough fear in them that they probably won't return. These people will only act out when in a huge group so logically they probably aren't particularly brave, follows on that if they know they will probably face tough measures that they won't leave home. One of the problems at the moment is that as soon as the rioters loose any momentum they disperse, evading arrest in the process, and just regroup somewhere else. They know they will most probably never get caught. If my idea was used by the time they disperse half of them would be unable to walk and the rest would know that if the carried on it would only be a matter of time before they were caught. They'd be straight home. Problem solved.
(08-08-2011 06:28 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ugh... I know what that anger feels like from the riot that was here in Canada just over a month ago.

The protest was for the shooting- the riot is just mob mentality where people who can't think for themselves do shit. Hope the country can pull itself together soon!

Exactly! These rioters don't give a shit about the original incident, they in this for personal gain. There are even riots starting in Birmingham which is half way across the country Angry.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:These people will only act out when in a huge group so logically they probably aren't particularly brave
Yeah thats called mob mentality when people get caught up in them they just go with it and dont realise what theyve done untill its to late.

Just remember this riot was sparked by the police shooting one man. What do you thing would happen if they shot 100??

Also when people open fire they tend to hit innocent people and children who are not always part of the riot. And the ones causing trouble get away with it.

Think iraq and afganistan and thats by people trained to shoot at a higher level than police. There will be trouble makers in the crowd and innocent people are the ones who end up hurt.

[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
(08-08-2011 06:43 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
Quote:These people will only act out when in a huge group so logically they probably aren't particularly brave
Yeah thats called mob mentality when people get caught up in them they just go with it and dont realise what theyve done untill its to late.

Just remember this riot was sparked by the police shooting one man. What do you thing would happen if they shot 100??

Also when people open fire they tend to hit innocent people and children who are not always part of the riot. And the ones causing trouble get away with it.

Think iraq and afganistan and thats by people trained to shoot at a higher level than police. There will be trouble makers in the crowd and innocent people are the ones who end up hurt.

yeah but he had a gun to, and was fired ;/ the protest was pretty pointless to start of with

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
It seems to me that anyone who does not want to live in a peaceful and civil society, should not be allowed to live in a society. They can simply fuck off and live somewhere else. The reason why we form societies and civilisations is so we can all coexist and live together, better off than if we were to fend for ourselves. They are anathema to a society like the ones we try to create.

In those riots, at least 8 policemen were injured, wtf. These people are burning buildings, endangering the lives of peaceful civilians and injuring those who make it their duty to enforce the law that keeps the society actually functioning. Shooting them in the knee is therefore entirely justified, and from what I gather, so was the original shooting.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
08-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I may be wrong but didn't the police keep the details quiet to start with which is why there was the peaceful protest before the riots because it seemed like they were hiding something?. Then the thugs and anarchists show up and start rioting.
When it comes to people getting shot by police in this country there usually are cover ups and lies put out. Remember Jean charles de menezes? who was Murdered by police on a train carriage his crime was living in a block of flats that a terror suspect was living in. The police lied to cover their ass made up how he ran and looked like he had explosives on him they shot him on train full of people. And noone was charged for it. Then you got the terror raid where they shot a man who they later said was carrying a gun when it turned out he wasnt and that he was innocent.
So when people hear that the police shot someone the first thing they think of is they are lying its a cover up. And with stuff like that who can blame them.

[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2011 09:18 AM by Hughsie.)
(08-08-2011 08:37 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I may be wrong but didn't the police keep the details quiet to start with which is why there was the peaceful protest before the riots because it seemed like they were hiding something?. Then the thugs and anarchists show up and start rioting.
When it comes to people getting shot by police in this country there usually are cover ups and lies put out. Remember Jean charles de menezes? who was Murdered by police on a train carriage his crime was living in a block of flats that a terror suspect was living in. The police lied to cover their ass made up how he ran and looked like he had explosives on him they shot him on train full of people. And noone was charged for it. Then you got the terror raid where they shot a man who they later said was carrying a gun when it turned out he wasnt and that he was innocent.
So when people hear that the police shot someone the first thing they think of is they are lying its a cover up. And with stuff like that who can blame them.

Still doesn't justify the riots. People are being hurt and having their livelihoods destroyed and it's not even about the shooting any more, it's about a load of jumped up pricks who seriously need putting in their place.

And to clarify, I wasn't thinking of the 'bullet in the knee' idea of a form of retribution (though I think any rioters deserve it), I like the idea because you are immediately preventing someone from continuing to riot, you can identify perpetrators later on without the need to detain or observe them and it's a pretty strong deterrent for future would-be rioters, I'm sure these people who 'can't contain their anger' may find it a lot easier if the threat of being shot is hanging over them.

Best
Worst