Tough questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 06:51 AM
RE: Tough questions
I like the questions that call god's morals into question and show its temper tantrums. Most people can easily see that they are more moral than their god.

like this post;

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid569329

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2014, 08:31 AM
(28-05-2014 10:36 PM)f stop Wrote:  A theist claims that I can't answer his tough questions. Any suggestions for tough questions I might ask him? So far I've come up with
  • How do you know the Bible is the word of God?
  • How do you know Jesus existed?
  • The riddle of Epicurus.
  • If the big bang never happened how do you explain the expanding universe?
  • Did God sanction the holocaust, the crusades, etc.
Any others?

Like others have said you are likely to find someone who already has wrestled with those questions and has a provided an out of jail free card answer or will go look for one that fits and protects the belief system.

I would encourage you to ask him/her what (evidence, reason, event) would convince the person that they are incorrect about the bible. if nothing would dissuade them, you are wasting your time having a conversation/debate with that person.

(29-05-2014 06:08 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ... many Muslim extremists are willing to die for their beliefs, as was the entire cult at Jonestown[/list]

There's been evidence for a while that many peopl in Jonestown were forced to drink the kool aid and those who didnt were shot.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
29-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Since they have a different definition of the word "Exists" they get to operate under their definition of Exists. Under their definition there are no rules. Anything can happen. But everything that happens is because God is awesome.

Guy gets in a car accident.

Guy is fine and not hurt--- Thank god he wasn't hurt.
or
He's refined to a wheel chair--- Thank god he saved his life. He has a purpose for him in that wheel chair but it's mysterious.
or
He died, now he's with God in Heaven. God must have wanted him in heaven now.

God was great in all three scenarios. With their rules god is never wrong or we don't understand him. We need to hold their feet to the fire on

"god" and "Exists". The argument should really starts and end right there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like CONVERSIONTUBE's post
29-05-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm reading a book called-- Drunk With Blood: Gods Killings In The Bible-- The author even low-balls the killings that God either does himself or has others do for him. This is a really great book to have in your arsenal. And if you concentrate on the unjust killing of children that God does it really hits home. The killing of 42 children by bears is a real winner.

I believe it's about 4 pages after the Thou Shalt Not Kill commandment that Moses goes out and kills thousands upon thousands of innocent people including children. How and why do theists justify this?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-05-2014, 10:33 AM
(29-05-2014 08:31 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  There's been evidence for a while that many peopl in Jonestown were forced to drink the kool aid and those who didnt were shot.

I did not know that.
29-05-2014, 02:47 PM
(29-05-2014 06:32 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  What are the tough questions you're being asked?
Good question. I actually don't think he's asking tough questions.

His latest is about the question of evil. It comes down to "would you rather man have free will, or that men just be robots." I've answered that this is a false dichotomy. He claims that I have not responded to his question.Facepalm

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
29-05-2014, 02:54 PM
(29-05-2014 10:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 08:31 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  There's been evidence for a while that many peopl in Jonestown were forced to drink the kool aid and those who didnt were shot.

I did not know that.

Yeah, http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/11/17/jo...niversary/

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
29-05-2014, 05:15 PM
(28-05-2014 10:36 PM)f stop Wrote:  A theist claims that I can't answer his tough questions. Any suggestions for tough questions I might ask him? So far I've come up with
  • How do you know the Bible is the word of God?
  • How do you know Jesus existed?
  • The riddle of Epicurus.
  • If the big bang never happened how do you explain the expanding universe?
  • Did God sanction the holocaust, the crusades, etc.
Any others?

Ask him a much more fundamental question. Ask him how he reconciles the blatant contradiction between the principle of the primacy of consciousness that his god claim affirms and the principle of the primacy of existence that he must accept and use if he wants to prove that his god claim is objectively true.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
29-05-2014, 05:17 PM
(29-05-2014 09:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm reading a book called-- Drunk With Blood: Gods Killings In The Bible-- The author even low-balls the killings that God either does himself or has others do for him. This is a really great book to have in your arsenal. And if you concentrate on the unjust killing of children that God does it really hits home. The killing of 42 children by bears is a real winner.

I believe it's about 4 pages after the Thou Shalt Not Kill commandment that Moses goes out and kills thousands upon thousands of innocent people including children. How and why do theists justify this?

...would be a fun and useful exercise to compile one big list of everyone that is said to have been killed by gawd, and by people, or other beings, at the command of gawd in the myths.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
29-05-2014, 08:18 PM
(29-05-2014 05:15 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Ask him a much more fundamental question. Ask him how he reconciles the blatant contradiction between the principle of the primacy of consciousness that his god claim affirms and the principle of the primacy of existence that he must accept and use if he wants to prove that his god claim is objectively true.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.