Tourette Syndrome

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 08:59 PM
RE: Tourette Syndrome
I had/have it as a kid/still do to a degree.

I used to say damn it all the time. I don't swear or twitch a lot. But, every once in a while, I feel a really big need to twitch my neck a bit.

I pretty much grew out of mine. One time, my second grade teacher sent me home with a letter saying how proud she was of me because I only said damn it 3 times that whole entire day!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 09:57 PM
(15-03-2015 08:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 08:20 PM)f stop Wrote:  I'm thinking somehow Tourette's has damaged the theism center of my brain.

In a discussion with a theist I got agitated and ticced. When I told him about my Tourette's he said "Well, that explains your atheism." This happened Friday night.

Does this bother you?
No. Not really.

Sapere aude
15-03-2015, 10:20 PM
(15-03-2015 09:57 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 08:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Does this bother you?
No. Not really.

I bet the theist you were talking to thinks you're mad at god.
Why I asked you this earlier.
They like to blame atheism on some percieved flaw.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
16-03-2015, 07:36 AM
(15-03-2015 08:20 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 12:09 AM)pablo Wrote:  Do you think somehow Tourette's has fooled your brain into atheism?
I have Epilepsy and I've never made that connection between the two.
I'm thinking somehow Tourette's has damaged the theism center of my brain.

In a discussion with a theist I got agitated and ticced. When I told him about my Tourette's he said "Well, that explains your atheism." This happened Friday night.

You could have slapped him and blamed the Tourette's. Drinking Beverage

Note: That asshole needed to be slapped.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-03-2015, 03:18 PM
(16-03-2015 07:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  You could have slapped him and blamed the Tourette's. Drinking Beverage

Note: That asshole needed to be slapped.
Loved it!

That's turning a lemon into lemonade :-)
16-03-2015, 04:27 PM
I look at it this way: would it bother you if your Tourette's was the reason for your atheism? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since I'm quite sure you have sound reasons for your lack of beleif. How you came to discover this evidence/reasoning as long as it's sound shouldn't matter to you or anyone else.

Also, can it be proven that without this damage to your brain linked to Tourette's, that you wouldn't be as smart as you are today? I'd say that would be rather hard to know definitively one way or the other.

Side note: I dated a guy with Tourettes years ago. He too would squeeze his hands. I noticed it when we would hold hands, I'd occasionally get a firm squeeze from his hand. I asked him about it, and that's when he told me. He also mentioned that one of his ticks was clearing his throat while tensing the muscles in his neck. It caused him to look like he was shrugging a bit at times. I'd noticed it, but never thought anything of it. It's really too bad people ridicule others for things like this. I've always been of the opinion that if someone has some obvious physical tick, deformity, or injury that it's just plain RUDE to comment or ask about it unless you're actually really close with that person. Otherwise people need to mind their own business.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
17-03-2015, 12:21 AM
(16-03-2015 04:27 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Also, can it be proven that without this damage to your brain linked to Tourette's, that you wouldn't be as smart as you are today? I'd say that would be rather hard to know definitively one way or the other.
I don't think that's ever been proven. I don't think that all Tourette's patients have the damage. If they did then a CT scan of the brain to detect the damage would seem to be a definitive diagnostic for Tourette's, but there is no definitive diagnostic for Tourette's.

Sapere aude
17-03-2015, 12:35 PM
(14-03-2015 11:22 PM)f stop Wrote:  Am I an atheist because I have Tourette's? Is my Tourette's the cause of my atheism?

That's it. I thank you for your attention and welcome your comments.

No you are an atheist because your high IQ permits you to reason effectively.

I also have an IQ of over 130 (whatever that actually means) and demonstrate constant effective reasoning in the tech company I own. I have no choice really, because illogical things drive me nuts.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.