Tower of Bable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Tower of Bable
I think it is a pretty common story in the Abrahamic religions. Men tried to build a tower to God. He was [scared?] displeased with their efforts to reach Divinity through engineering and ingenuity, so he smote them with the various languages. They could no longer understand each other [We now have Rosetta Stone. SUCK IT GOD!].

But the core point of this is that God did not wish for man to trespass into his realm. That he wanted to be the top dog. Man should not aspire to Goddom.

Now of course we have skyscrapers. We fly out of our planet's atmosphere. We have sent probes much much further into the 'heavens' than any primative tower would have.

Alongside that we are on the verge of creating life synthetically. Some biologists believe it will not be long. Whether or not we will do it any time soon, we can already edit and alter life.

So where would God's fear be in all of this? Has he given up? Did he change his mind on what feats man could aspire to? Was changing our languages a one shot trick?

Well of course the simple answer is that there is no God and people didnt suddenly speak different languages.

But what would be the Creationist' answer? I hear them say 'This and that is God's domain.' 'We cannot trespass into God's domain' 'That belongs to God, we shouldnt mess with it.' Where is their god now and why has his attitude toward our development changed?
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cube's post
16-06-2011, 01:46 PM
RE: Tower of Bable
God moved residence to another dimension. Tongue

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I guess they would probably say that the Tower of Babel was built with the specific purpose of becoming God-like, where as our technology is built with the purpose of helping us. Not that I buy that. Or that the purpose of God's wrath was that they were trying to be god-like.

Genesis 11:7 Wrote:And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language ; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

It seems to me God had more of a problem with the idea of human cooperation and the abilities we unlock when we work together. He didn't say that the advancement in human capabilities was displeasing to him because they encroach on his God-ness. In fact, the people even gave a reason to build the tower; to promote being one people, and not "scattered abroad upon the face of the whole Earth". Has nothing to do with trying to beat god at being god.

How I read the story; All the humans on earth get together and decide to be considered one person and coexist peacefully. They build huge cities and towers to ensure they stay together as one nation and not splinter in other, possibly warring, nations. God get's pissed and messes things up, cause if there are no enemy tribes, then who will he send his chosen people to kill?

Moral of the story; The God of the Old Testament loves war.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
16-06-2011, 07:10 PM

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
16-06-2011, 07:46 PM
The creationist answer? hmm..... Oh!! Oh!! When the new testament was written and hell was established there was no longer a reason for god to influence the mortal world. Before hell existed people needed punished while alive. With hell existing God's part in existence became solely the afterlife.

Is that one good enough?

Also I love messed up bible stories, Ebola World is great

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
16-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Ebola world? I don't think I've heard of this.
16-06-2011, 08:55 PM
(16-06-2011 08:54 PM)Cube Wrote:  Ebola world? I don't think I've heard of this.

Ebola world is the studio responsible for the video Buddy Christ linked to.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-06-2011, 05:05 AM
(16-06-2011 12:39 PM)Cube Wrote:  So where would God's fear be in all of this? Has he given up? Did he change his mind on what feats man could aspire to? Was changing our languages a one shot trick?

There are a number of ways that Christians deal with this topic and others like it. Some people have come up with elaborate systems to explain how God has worked at different times. They all boil down to a couple basic points.

Hebrews 1:1 says, “In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoke to us by his Son [Jesus], whom he appointed heir of all things.”

There are two relevant points in this quote. First, God revealed himself differently at different times. So in the case of Babel, once he made his point about man’s collective arrogance, the point does not need to be repeated. Second, Jesus’ coming and what he said are of a very different nature than all the previous prophetic works. Jesus is the heir of all things and this means at least that everything is different after him.

One key difference after Jesus is not the invention of hellShy, but in John 3:17 he says “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." And 2Peter 3:9 says, “The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”

So a simple explanation would be that God made his point, he doesn’t need to repeat it, and he sent Jesus to make one final appeal to men and show them that there is now an opportunity for everyone to get on board.

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice
17-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Thank you lilith.

@pilgrim: The minds of men easily forget things. Look how quickly we forgot say, basic mnemonics. You would think maybe we could get a new Jesus every few decades to remind us Tongue Surely god would understand why the bible just doesnt cut it for us.
17-06-2011, 05:27 PM
(17-06-2011 06:32 AM)Cube Wrote:  The minds of men easily forget things.
Quite true,... but then again the Creator would know just how good our memories are.

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice