Town votes down solar-panel farm due to fears it would 'suck up the sun'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Town votes down solar-panel farm due to fears it would 'suck up the sun'
I posted this a few days ago in the "what's happening in your neck of the woods" thread. My local news reported on it. (Mine [WTVD] isn't in the same city, just the same state.)

And I'm not surprised. Seriously not surprised. Sure, grass will turn brown under a panel. It does the same if I leave a flower pot on my lawn. Duh.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2015, 01:10 PM
RE: Town votes down solar-panel farm due to fears it would 'suck up the sun'
Is there is a Darwin award for stupidest town?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-12-2015, 02:27 PM
(16-12-2015 11:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Although a few of the older people might have had concerns about the panels, they didn't actually vote against the solar panels, they voted against MORE solar farms.

"Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people.

She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities."

Maybe it's because I'm from California but I don't get it. There are no other towns around it? People have to drive to other places to find work? Of course young people are going to leave. That's the way life is. Unless your town is super cool and affordable you're going to leave it for any number of reasons.

Even with job opportunities, young people will still leave. Because it's a big world and some like to see what's there beyond their fence.

Jobs will attract new people to move into their town...but I have a serious feeling they don't want new people -- they don't want current people to leave. New people are scary and different. They want things to remain the same -- generation after generation to live and die there. That's just not the way the world is anymore.

As far as her home value is concerned, the market will pay, what it will pay. That's real estate 101.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-12-2015, 02:29 PM
[Image: giphy.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-12-2015, 02:34 PM
(16-12-2015 10:26 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 10:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  She was a science teacher?! It's embarrassing to be an American sometimes.

People always say that like there aren't plenty of idiots everywhere else.
I think the point is that many other countries have much stricter measures in place to prevent scientifically illiterate people from becoming, you know, science teachers. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
16-12-2015, 06:35 PM
She could have taught something like animal husbandry, which requires very little in the way of physics. Except for to move back when a bull mounts a cow. Always move back.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-12-2015, 06:40 PM
(16-12-2015 08:44 AM)Loom Wrote:  I thought it was a fake story til I checked snopes. How sad that some people could be so scientifically illiterate. Then again, that's the USA for you >_>

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...71526.html

Ain't it like bandwidth? That has been explained as if I use too much off the modum there is less for you, right? And you wanna use all the sunlight for the whole town! LOL
16-12-2015, 06:52 PM
(16-12-2015 02:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Maybe it's because I'm from California but I don't get it. There are no other towns around it?

It's just south of Muffreeboro.

[Image: woodland.png]

(16-12-2015 11:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  "Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people.

She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities."

Pffft. That property had no value to begin with. She can probably get 5-10 times more than it was ever worth if she sold it to the solar farmers.

#sigh
16-12-2015, 06:58 PM
(16-12-2015 06:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 02:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Maybe it's because I'm from California but I don't get it. There are no other towns around it?

It's just south of Muffreeboro.

[Image: woodland.png]

(16-12-2015 11:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  "Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people.

Pffft. That property had no value to begin with. She can probably get 5-10 times more than it was ever worth if she sold it to the solar farmers.

It's BFE....there are some towns in rural NC where the collective IQ is about 4. Roughly the same as the average number of teeth.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-12-2015, 07:15 PM
(16-12-2015 10:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 09:52 AM)izel Wrote:  It would be funny, unless you've dated a man who thought windmills were solar powered. Drinking Beverage

Glad you brought up windmills, for years I have suspected that windmills have been causing tornados.

Blink

Nope but they do cause upside down lightning.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather-...151214.htm

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obse...ing-video/

[Image: 140303-lightning-turbines-300x224.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze