Tracking you chemically? Ethical?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Tracking you chemically? Ethical?
Okay so I found this article about how they've come up with a way to tell if mental patients are taking their medication through some tracking device. (Apparently that dissolves into the bloodstream)

Here is the article

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/...t-ethical/

Some are saying its a good idea, citing that caregiver here in Oregon who was stabbed to death by one of the people she supported when he chose to lower his dosage without their knowledge. (This hits me close to home because I'm in the same line of work and face the same risk every day)

While others are calling it unethical, and invasion of privacy, or equal to chemical castration of convicted rapists?

I'm just curious of other peoples views. Ethical or not?

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2013, 02:17 PM
RE: Tracking you chemically? Ethical?
People are always afraid that something like this would be used to monitor their use of illicit drugs or illegal use of legal drugs. I would be on board with this because it can also help monitor people on anti-depressants in case they decide to quit (that has a tendency to lead to increased suicide chances).

Evolve
22-01-2013, 02:20 PM
It seems like it would be advantageous to be able to ensure people who need medication, stay medicated.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
22-01-2013, 03:00 PM
I think it's a horrible idea except with people who pose a clear danger to others. And they should be monitored anyway and not be walking around.
I would never allow myself to be monitored.
And, I don't trust government. One day it's only dangerous people, the next it's people who may take drugs, then comes "subversive" people. Give them a finger and they'll cut off your hand.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
22-01-2013, 04:11 PM
(22-01-2013 03:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think it's a horrible idea except with people who pose a clear danger to others. And they should be monitored anyway and not be walking around.
I would never allow myself to be monitored.
And, I don't trust government. One day it's only dangerous people, the next it's people who may take drugs, then comes "subversive" people. Give them a finger and they'll cut off your hand.
Here's the problem with the case that's mentioned :
Quote: Five years earlier, Redd had been sentenced to 20 years in a psychiatric
ward following the attempted murder of his mother, but was
conditionally released into community care.
If someone is really a threat to society, keep them locked up. Don't have them walking around, with other's safety dependant on them taking their medication.
[+] 1 user Likes Idlecuriosity's post
22-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I think it's ethical for the people who are a danger to society.
Unfortunately there are too many mentally ill people on the street today mostly due to de-institutionalization.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
22-01-2013, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 06:42 PM by fstratzero.)
Seems redundant.

The medical staff already has their records(as in medical history), address, phone number, email, and driver's license information.

What good would come from knowing where mental patients are?

The treated pose less of threat to me than the untreated.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
22-01-2013, 07:19 PM
(22-01-2013 06:35 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Seems redundant.

The medical staff already has their records(as in medical history), address, phone number, email, and driver's license information.

What I think they are worried about are those that medicate themselves

For example in my company we have something called "indvidualized services" Some of those people only get checked in on once a week or less, if they are self medicating and decide not to take their meds or whatever....

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
22-01-2013, 07:45 PM
(22-01-2013 07:19 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(22-01-2013 06:35 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Seems redundant.

What I think they are worried about are those that medicate themselves

For example in my company we have something called "indvidualized services" Some of those people only get checked in on once a week or less, if they are self medicating and decide not to take their meds or whatever....
With out the patent to review, I can't really respond well to that.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
24-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I can easily see a slippery slope with this. Employers could require employees to be chemically monitored "voluntarily" and it would be legal. (After all you are not required by law to be monitored- you can just work somewhere else.) The military would be the first to jump on the bandwagon. Then it would be mandatory for pilots, truck drivers, bus drivers, etc. Then professional sports, then college sports, then high school sports, then college financial aid, then college admissions.

If these things happened with urine testing, I can easily see it happening with chemical monitoring.
[+] 1 user Likes FlyingPizzaMonster's post